MSC Discussion - 10th Anniversary Special!

MSC #10  

10 members have voted

1. 1. MSC #10

• Winamp
    • Desktop Widget
    • Cursor Pack
    • deviantART
    • Car
    • deviantID (deviantART)
    • #PaintDotNET (deviantART chat)

You also have to include a fully rotating model with textures of at least 4k by 4k* pixels!

I thought this was the PDN forum - not the Blender forum.

Textures are PDN... You could also make this by rotating the image a little further each time in PDN, converting it to GIF, and converting that an FLV. Personally, I prefer using XSI over doing that...

Another three way tie. Crumbs.

Since a lot of people seem to be in favor of the "Make up your own Application" idea, I believe I'll go with that and scrap the rest for later.

Any suggestions? (The idea needs to be perfected.) I am thinking that it shouldn't be just any application on the block. Needs to be more specific.

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

The application needs to differentiate itself from common applications, but must also be applicable. As well, the application has to make sense. It simply cant be a trash can of useless features balled up into a project. Sources like Rick's post on Cow Bell as well as other resources should be taken into account when designing the application. As well, focus on the user base of the application should be brought into play. Are you designing the application for yourself, or is it to be used by a universal audience. If the latter, what type of customization should there be?

on how to design the app>

signature.png

• 4 weeks later...

Your wish has been granted. Enjoy! ;)

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

You've got that right! :)

Just a quick question - when designing our new killer application, are we expected to provide just one screenshot type entry, or (as with mobile type themes) a series of operational screens? If it is a series, is there any suggested minimum/maximum limit to the number of screens that make up your entry?

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

You may provide pretty much as many screenshots as you like (within reason), but you only need one to enter. I would say that if you get up towards twenty-ish (that would be quite a few), you should seriously consider stopping there and entering.

And a general note to remember: unless your screenshots are small, please post extra screenshots after your first as clickable thumbnails (read about how to do this).

It must be at least 80% PDN (just to throw an obscure percentage in the mix). You are allowed to use other programs; be sure to specify in your post all that is done externally as stock imagery.

Hmm... new to the community (as you can tell by post count 1).

So to clarify this for me, is this contest to create your own application, or simply to design the interface, etc? At first I was believing the former, but now I think it's the latter, which would make sense on a graphics design board. Anyways, I'm a programmer myself, and I was thinking about introducing a project that I partially completed a while ago and am restarting now. It's a map editor for 2D games, using tile-based maps (much like RPG Maker's from the old days). I don't know how (or why, really), this application would be skinned, but as I was thinking of this I thought some folks here might like the idea. Anyways, another thought, is this contest about the design of the UI, or more of the art/fancy -ness of it? =/ Hard to explain.

So to clarify this for me, is this contest to create your own application, or simply to design the interface, etc? At first I was believing the former, but now I think it's the latter, which would make sense on a graphics design board. Anyways, I'm a programmer myself, and I was thinking about introducing a project that I partially completed a while ago and am restarting now. It's a map editor for 2D games, using tile-based maps (much like RPG Maker's from the old days). I don't know how (or why, really), this application would be skinned, but as I was thinking of this I thought some folks here might like the idea. Anyways, another thought, is this contest about the design of the UI, or more of the art/fancy -ness of it? =/ Hard to explain.

You dont necessarily 'create' an application, you create an imaginary dream application in Paint.NET. All it is is images, nothing else.

signature.png

You dont necessarily 'create' an application, you create an imaginary dream application in Paint.NET. All it is is images, nothing else.

Sounds interesting, I'll get cracking!

You design an application and skin the interface.

After browsing around the forums some more, I think I cleared this up myself. Seems interesting still, I may do something. All my experience is with Photoshop, and thats pretty rusty as it is. Taking on a project is my favourite way to learn.

No, not this time. "Create your own application" is the theme.

Yep.