I have a New GUI idea for effects where the center is chosen

bEPIK

Hello.

When I started using Zoom blur deluxe (before version 3.20) I had trouble remembering whether the top or bottom slider was horizontal. Then, when I figured that out, did a higher value mean left or right.

So a few days ago I decided to get the idea out of my head and onto an image.

4.png

Spot the difference.

Original.png

I know it only takes a few seconds to figure out how the effects work but I believe a lot of new users would benefit for this.

Please leave any thoughts on improvements or ideas.

Or you could get rid of the sliders all together...

The drag function in the preview works for most people and any fine tuning can be done in the text entry boxes...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

I like the idea, if it's not too much work. Especially great if it could be incorporated into IndirectUI.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I think this is an excellent idea you have there. I think this addition is even better...

The drag function in the preview works for most people and any fine tuning can be done in the text entry boxes...

Both ideas are clean, radical and still practical for both the new user and experienced user alike.

EDIT: I particularly like this small detail:

th_cool.png

This will be good for those who might have to think twice to which direction the up adjustment goes, therefore saving time and being that extra bit more intuitive.

I like it, but I don't think the part Myrddin pointed out is possible.

Not without writing a completely custom new Control.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

I like it a lot. It's one of the best change suggestions I've seen. I think the sliders defineitely need to stay, the center drag is just too sensitive and you wouldn't wind up saving any time or making it any easier by having to click in both of the boxes and make the adjustments after draging to somewhere close.

This:

- and + could possibly show the actual x/y coordinates

Makes the most sense to me.

But I like the idea of putting the sliders in the "right" place.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I like it a lot. It's one of the best change suggestions I've seen. I think the sliders defineitely need to stay, the center drag is just too sensitive and you wouldn't wind up saving any time or making it any easier by having to click in both of the boxes and make the adjustments after draging to somewhere close.

You fail to realize that moving and shortening the sliders as pictured would increase the sensitivity to that of the center drag...rendering the change ineffective.

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

You fail to realize that moving and shortening the sliders as pictured would increase the sensitivity to that of the center drag...rendering the change ineffective.

Well, maybe you always know exactly where you want the center and can just enter x= 0.25 and y= 0.87, but I think the rest of us would prefer sliders. And I don't see them as being any smaller, infact the verticle one looks a little bigger, and as for sensitivity, I thought that was controlled by the number of pixels in a drawing, like a 96 pixel is not as sensitive with plugin sliders as say a 300 ppi drawing, tied in of course with my monitors resoultion. I'm probably wrong, but it seems to be that way on my computer.

Anyway, it's not up to me.