Sign in to follow this  
Rick Brewster

Discussion: Thoughts on phpBB versus IP.Board (IPB) ?

My offer is still there on the table Rick. 100% hosted with unlimited file storage and data transfer, No having to pay for a license, and only have to pay half for the year (Other words you pay for 6 months and I pay for 6 months and it keep going like that.). As for ad's I have installed the ad mod before for ad's and can do it again.

EDIT: May want to forget that. I talking to my host and they say they only let 60 connections to a website at once. this forum has had 124 people on at once. Also they only do 10 GB size databases now instead of unlimited.

I could still let you have a go at it if you like to still try it out.

EDIT AGAIN: 60 connections is not 60 people at once on the site I am being told. Webhost says "Browser use connection for downloading some components like one connection via images, second for text, for style of page etc. if you exceed 60 connection some components can't downloading after one second"

I thought you were planning to host either option on getpaint.net?

One of the things I"m asking them is about how to set up the URL so that I can have it at http://www.getpaint.net/forum , while still having the hosting managed by them on their servers. (Is it possible? I don't know how this advanced web server stuff works ...)

this forum has had 124 people on at once. Also they only do 10 GB size databases now instead of unlimited.

I could still let you have a go at it if you like to still try it out

Technically not true. That number comes from the bot attack. We usually average about 10-15 registered users, and about as many lurkers. Still, sixty doesn't sound like enough... Especially with the expected growth following the 4.0 release. Just a thought...

@rick- you can always set up a simple HTML redirect... It would be largely seamless.

@rick- you can always set up a simple HTML redirect... It would be largely seamless.

Or if you don't want the url to change - do what domain-name companies do - use frames.

David will most likely slap you for that. I think. Although, I'm not sure whether it was that or something else he didn't like...

David it not the 60 connections to be worryed about. As I said it was explaned to me that it does not mean 60 users. Other words if I got 60 connections to my website a another few connections may take longer to load a CSS template or not load it at all and have to do a refresh. That not to big of a deal as that happens at most websites now.

It the 10 GB database that worrys me. With proper forum maintaining 10 GB could last a forum the size of Paint.NET for 10 years or more. I mean instead of letting the database fill you set the option in the forum to delete any topics over a year old that have not been viewed in months. Instead of locking topics that don't belong somewere you delete them and tell the poster why the topic was deleted. Members that sign up but are not validated within 2 days you delete as they are most likey bots with fake E-Mails and can't be validated.

When I told the guy that 10 GB may not be enough, I think he laugh as he told me 10 GB is more then enough for a database and it really is as I have run a forum with over 200 members and it only took up about a MB and the forum software took up 5 MB.

Point is in 5 - 10 years what happens. Like the dude told me you would go full server then. Well that good as I can get my hands on full servers with good specs for less then $70. However I not paying for a full server.

Which is why I still say I have no problem with giving it a try as if we do fill the database we can just pack up and move. That would not be a problem as you just do a backup of the database and install the forums somewere else and then upload the old database and it be like you never moved at all.

Anyway David from the looks of it Rick is going for hosting from IPB (I Just hope he don't pick one that costs to much) along with his own license. Also if you posted on there own company forums you may have seen the 25 min wait time just for a post to get posted as I have.

Rick you do know they give a thing that can upload IPB to a website and install it for you. I think it costs money but I am not sure as installing it by hand is like saying 1 2 3. I also think they would give you FTP for installing updates and mods. However for them to look after your board and be an Admin. I don't see them doing that.

I thought you were planning to host either option on getpaint.net?

One of the things I"m asking them is about how to set up the URL so that I can have it at http://www.getpaint.net/forum , while still having the hosting managed by them on their servers. (Is it possible? I don't know how this advanced web server stuff works ...)

I'm sure it is possible. Neowin's forum does exactly what you want, and they use IPB.

David will most likely slap you for that. I think. Although, I'm not sure whether it was that or something else he didn't like...

Yeah, frames suck. Don't use them.

I guess it's possible. The problem I see is connecting to another server's database, but I'm no expert. It's more than likely possible.

Connecting to another database is not a problem as you do it most of the time anyway. If Rick were to take my Offer the database I use is on another server just for databases. The forum software will ask you for the database address, username, database name, and password.

EG: Say Rick wanted to host the IPB forum on getpaint.net he could but had no databases. He could upload the forum software to getpaint.net and buy databases from another host. Then during setup of the forum he would tell the forum software the IP of the datebase server, the name of the database to grab data from, the username to login with, and password.

This should work with no problems unless the network restricts out side strips connections from logging in.

That make any sense ?

Lets say Rick took my offter and he did not like the 10 GB database but knows were he can get a bigger one for cheap. I upload the forums and tell it to use his database. So you can get the best from both worlds.

Yeah, it makes sense. Whenever I need to enter a DB location, all I ever put is localhost. Never clicked in my mind what localhost actually meant ;)

Ya localhost is used in all web systems from windows to linux. It means the system that it is on or a computer connected by the local network. We use it in our IIS class for the IIS webservers. I make it a habit to use the real address or domain.