Discussion: Thoughts on phpBB versus IP.Board (IPB) ?

That what I mean by skins. You got the HTML and PHP pages. You can edit them. Links back to the site should not be a problem as you get to add a HOME link to the forum under the header image by default. You also get to add rules up there to so everyone can see it. Everything else can be add in by editing the skins.

It's been faily easy to modify

IPB would probably include all the features we want to modify it to do.

very easy to use

Apparently IPB works in a similar way to phpBB3.

I've never had a problem getting support for it

Since IPB is a commercial product, I doubt that will be a problem.

KaHuc.png
phpBB3 is cool if like say Rick wants to make it, where you get to link your Paint.NET Forum account to your dA.. you can do that by adding a new profile.. then making pictures linked with a link..then letting the user add their link for their dA and their dA avatar.

People can use their signature for that - and you can still mod IPB. There is no hyperlink custom profile field.

Can anyone think of a good thing about phpBB3 that doesn't apply to IPB apart from cost?

KaHuc.png

tHs - not so fast. The cost thing is certainly a factor - do the benefits of IPB outweigh the cost?

I've been doing some research, and it seems to me that IPB and phpBB are very similar as they seem to mods and users. Now, IPB is certainly more featured and better supported. But we're running an off-the-shelf version of phpBB3 here (that is, with few extra "bells and whistles"), and I don't find myself needing any huge number of extra features. Sure, they would be nice, but are they worth the cost?

As for setup, I can't speak to that. I set up a phpBB3 forum on my webhost a while back, and it seemed pretty painless. The forum itself seemed to walk me through the difficult part.

So, from here on out, unless someone has something new to add to the end-user or moderator discussion, let's talk about setup and back-end maintenance.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

As for the cost - surely this is an issue as this license will run-out?

I check with billing last night to make sure on this as I used to pay every year $80 but they change the plan to this:

Once you pay your $149.99 for a license (Already did back in 2007) you will only have to pay $25 every 6 months for tech support, updates, and downloads to keep your license active.

]People can use their signature for that - and you can still mod IPB. There is no hyperlink custom profile field.

Well there is an option in the admin control panel to make custom profile fields but I am not sure how it works as I never used it before.

David the install is nice. It can be a pain if you forget to chmod some folders but the best thing about that is it will let you know what folders you forgot to chmod before letting you run the install and messing up your databases. It asks you the same things as phpBB in the install.

I will confess a general time crunch so I may be repeating others' points in this post.

I've used both types of boards and currently administer a board that went from Invision to phpBB.

It seems that Invision is fine as long as you keep paying. If you have the financial resources, then life is great and you get patches and updates. However, the site I administer switched to phpBB because we do not have the financial resources for Invision and we were repeatedly hacked while using Invision.

I will confess a general time crunch so I may be repeating others' points in this post.

I've used both types of boards and currently administer a board that went from Invision to phpBB.

It seems that Invision is fine as long as you keep paying. If you have the financial resources, then life is great and you get patches and updates. However, the site I administer switched to phpBB because we do not have the financial resources for Invision and we were repeatedly hacked while using Invision.

Which is why you keep paying the small fee of $25 every 6 months. Along with your DB backups. All forums can be hacked it just that IPB does a better job with giving updates on the problem. If you were hacked the 1st you do is go to IPB and tell them you were hacked and they will ask you for an account to your forums. They will then look to see if it was the forums that were hacked or if it was your database that was hacked. Most forum hacks are not the forum but the database. Once found to be the forum they will see if they fixed this problem and you forgot to update or if it a new one that needs to be fixed.

The way a forum provider should be.

$150 and then $25 every 6 months is basically free. What I want is a managed IPB installation plus the ability to use and customize my own advertising -- I need to contact them with my requirements :)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Oh I'm not worried that the IPB software allows it. I am just verifying with them that their managed hosting solutions can accommodate it: http://www.invisionpower.com/hosting/community.html

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg