Discussion: Thoughts on phpBB versus IP.Board (IPB) ?

That's awfully nice of you, HITMAN.

I would be up for at least giving IPB try!

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

I been using Paint.NET since 2005 and have never donated as I don't got money to donate. Rick has always been nice and keeps working on Paint.NET so we can use it for free. I like to help people and seeing I don't use my IPB forums really then why not let Rick use them. It would make me feel like I am giving something back.

PS: wow this just gets better my webhost wants to move me on March 28 to there new datacenter in Ohio. They say I will be down for 48 hours at the most but in turn the new datacenter will have better servers, a bigger backbone for data meaning faster downloads / page loading time. More back up power then the old datacenter so if power goes offline I still be up. So Rick if you want to test IPB or phpBB it will have to be before the 28 or after 48 hours. If you do plan to take my offer to use my IPB forum then it would be best to let me know asap so I can look into getting any mods you may want such as the adsense mod. Then we should wait till the move is done and over with before installing IPB so there wont be any problems.

I'd like to try IPB out. Who knows? Might be awesomer. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Well David I will tell how the mod tools work. each topic has a check box as well as each post. You check the box and then go the bottom of the page and select what you want to do from the drop down box (You can do more then one topic or post at a time). One drop down box is for topic and says topic in the options and the other one is for post and will tell you how many posts or topics are checked for modding. I have to look this one up but I sure there an option somewere for letting mods lock accounts of user for so long or untill an admin reviews them.

I say IPB, or InvisionFree...
Yeah. My 2 favorites for hosters are: InvisionFree & ForumMotion.

*InvisionFree offers a more.. vBulletin feel to it.. AKA: More Professional. I use this hoster for iGraphix

**vBulletin is a very expensive forum hoster, that most comapnies use for their support forum.

*ForumMotion is the 2nd one I use. I use this host for my MLG Halo team's forum: -ParAdoX-. I love this host because my site has been up for about 5 months now and it hasn't been down at all. It's a great place for beginners that supports phpBB3.

Hope that helps!

posting.php?mode=edit&f=17&p=159938

I gave some information about phpBB and IF if you are interested...

This is NOT a thread for discussing if the forum will be moved, nor any ancillary or logistical things like reputation systems, post counts, hosting, the current forum downtime and problems, how much you hate/love Forumer, etc. I ONLY want to know what people think about IPB versus phpBB as an end-user (forum member) or moderator/admin.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

It is also a case of how different IPB is from an end-user point-of-view. Many more users have used phpBB3 than IPB. For admins, mods and forum veterans getting used to new software is worth the time as they will often use it - but it might put-off a user asking a one-off question. If you have used IPB, is the interface for the end-user similar?

KaHuc.png

Remarkably so, yes. It has a few more features, but the basics are almost identical.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

There are mods out there for Gallery but you have to find the right one. The real IP.Gallery costs money just like the IP.Blog and IP.Downloads. Yet I have seen mods to do the downloads and there was an Blog one back for the old version.

But none of that really matters as you have done fine with out it. What you need to look at is how it will do what is already being done.

Also remeber the more mods you add the more unstable something becomes. This is true for all forum software and it makes it a living hell for admins when doing things like backup and settings.

Here are the main issues IMHO:

• [*:3qw19hpq]What features are there in IPB but not in phpBB3?
    [*:3qw19hpq]How many of the above could be replicated with mods?
    [*:3qw19hpq]How much more secure is IPB?
    [*:3qw19hpq]How much are you willing to pay for IPB and extra features?
    [*:3qw19hpq]What limitations are there in modding IPB - both in usability and in license?
    [*:3qw19hpq]How much harder to use is IPB?
    [*:3qw19hpq]Which is faster?
    [*:3qw19hpq]To what extent is the above?

KaHuc.png
What features are there in IPB but not in phpBB3?

To many to list but if you like to read up on them you can find the 169 page document at IPB website.

How many of the above could be replicated with mods?

As in could you mod phpBB with all the features that are there for IPB ? No as the forum would become unstable, slow, and there would be problems if anything happen such as having to reinstall the forum.

How much more secure is IPB?

They got more options for keeping the board safe then you can tink of. They also got a full development team for making sure any problems are fix asap. They will then send any fix info right the the admin control panel so the admin knows there was a problem and they got a fix for it.

How much are you willing to pay for IPB and extra features?

You missed the part were I said I have no problem with letting Rick use my IPB forum and webspace with full access to FTP, MySQL databases, the whole IPB forum, IPB tech support and upgrades. As for extra features I not paying for any. I stay with free mods, I only buy extra features if they were needed in order for the forum to work.

What limitations are there in modding IPB - both in usability and in license?

I already said what the problem is with mods. As for license you can mod your board as much as you like but things like removing the coryright or powered is not allow unless you paid for it.

How much harder to use is IPB?

Point and click for users.

Which is faster?

Depens on to many factors to be able to tell you which one is faster. I say both phpBB and IPB as the same in speed.

To what extent is the above?

huh ?

Are there any advantages with going for phpBB3 apart from financial?

Umm it smaller to upload to the website so if you only got 5 MB of webspace it be good. That really should not be a problem.

IPB downloads and runs forums like phpBB so that they can add in the same features and more. This way they will have the advantages of the free forums as well as advantages free forums don't have. That why people pay so much for them.

Archived