How to make a simple frieze

Hello.

I'm a really new user of Paint.net !

Now I wonder if anyone could give me a hint

for how I can "conflate"/"mix" two (or more pictures).

I have already applied the feather effect (and the smooth edges effect)

on my pictures, but that was not enough....

Do I need another plugin/effect ?

I'm trying to make a simple frieze, and I will be greatfull

if anyone could help me.

Baardi from Norway.

Whilst not a frieze as such, the instructions to create a panorama photograph should fit your request quite well. It follows the same principle of adjusting each image to match each other (colour, brightness, etc.), and placing all the images together using a combination of canvas resizing and the move tools. The two art forms follow the same concept, so you should find no problem in adapting the techniques to your frieze.

The topic which I mention can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6442

Does this help, or are you looking for something else? Perhaps it might be more helpful if you could provide some example imagery to work with, we could them see where your problem lies more closely. The above topic is to illustrate the methods one can employ to adjust each individual image to 'blend' them together, to have them uniformed in appearance.

I did have this cracking answer laid out, but thanks to the Forum being rendered unavailable again, and a series of mitigating events, I lost that answer. Damn you Foumer!

Thank you very much for answering my question!! :D

But I still can't menage to patch my images together :(

If you take a quick look at my attached images/frieze, you will see what I mean.

I know that the images I use in my project maybe not are suitable for making a good frieze, though it must be another way for making better/more soft "transitions" between the pictures (????)

Any other tips ???

Thanx a lot

baardi from Norway

14308_f74ae0bcae773e28539b988d94672294

Whilst not a frieze as such, the instructions to create a panorama photograph should fit your request quite well. It follows the same principle of adjusting each image to match each other (colour, brightness, etc.), and placing all the images together using a combination of canvas resizing and the move tools. The two art forms follow the same concept, so you should find no problem in adapting the techniques to your frieze.

The topic which I mention can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6442

Does this help, or are you looking for something else? Perhaps it might be more helpful if you could provide some example imagery to work with, we could them see where your problem lies more closely. The above topic is to illustrate the methods one can employ to adjust each individual image to 'blend' them together, to have them uniformed in appearance.

I did have this cracking answer laid out, but thanks to the Forum being rendered unavailable again, and a series of mitigating events, I lost that answer. Damn you Foumer!

The pictures are of massive help, thank you. If you can me half an hour (or longer, only because I can be here for half an hour), I'll have a few versions for you to review, and instructions how to do it for these and for others in the future.

Also, you're right, they aren't the best photographs for this work, but I've seen much worse, so don't worry ;). Very festive as well.

[Click the images for larger view.]

Right, this is what I have with what you gave us.

From the top:

• [*:2i0agpoq]Your chosen layout, reworked;
    [*:2i0agpoq]Alternating eggs/chicklings/eggs..., but more frieze-like;
    [*:2i0agpoq]My personal favourite :).

th_Eggs1PNG.png

th_Eggs2PNG.png

th_Eggs3PNG.png

Attached to the link is the .pdn files of all three versions for you to peruse at. I'd download it quickly, too, as MediaFire has a tendency to lose files.

http://www.mediafire.com/?2hoy2eujmde

------------------------

This was all accomplished by a play of overlapping and the Gradient tool on Transparency mode.

1. [*:2i0agpoq]I seperated each photo onto its own layer for ease of manipulation.
th_EggsExp1PNG.png
[*:2i0agpoq]I lowered the opacity (Layers > Layer Properties on the layer in question) for both the images to be blended together - this helps for the next step.
Do not worry about the chequerboard pattern, this is to signify transparency, it'll be fine to ignore it.
[*:2i0agpoq]Using the Rectangle Selection tool ( :RectangleSelectTool: ) and the Move Pixels tool ( :MoveTool: ), I overlapped one of the images over the other as much as possible, with some breathing room (in this case, I overlapped right over left):
th_EggsExp2PNG.png
[*:2i0agpoq]Now comes the Gradient Tool. Keep it on the Linear gradation ( :LinearGradient: ), and change the mode to Transparency ( :AllColorChannels: > :AlphaChannel: ). On the overlapping layer (right-hand image), move the gradient right to left, as the right-hand image is overlaying the left-most. See?:
th_EggsExp3PNG.png
You must keep within the area of overlap for this to work - as you can see, I have selected it to identify it better. You must also keep the angle of the gradation to 180 degrees, as shown on the status bar on the bottom of the window as you draw the gradient.
Hit Enter to finalise it.
[*:2i0agpoq]Restore the opacity of each layer back to 255 (fully opaque):
th_EggsExp4PNG.png

You'll need to do this for each image, and, with luck, it will look good. You may have to experiment a little to get it right, though.

For my examples above, I did flip some of the images to have the grain of wood or colour to match better with the consecutive image, but regardless, you'll still notice a difference. As you may have noticed, keeping the lighting uniformed througout your shots is paramount.

------------------------

I do hope this made sense, if not, please don't hesitate to ask as I'll be happy to clarify.

Other members may have an alternate method for this, but within the time, and not knowing your competence with Paint.NET, this seemed best.