Plugin suggestion: Send To ImageShack, Send To PicasaWeb

Sorry, but this would be impossible. The image would have to be saved first,and also, PDN might not be able to establish a connection or some other major problem or something. I don't know, I'm not a plugin designer, but I am fairly sure it would be impossible. Sorry!

Sorry, but this would be impossible. The image would have to be saved first,and also, PDN might not be able to establish a connection or some other major problem or something. I don't know, I'm not a plugin designer, but I am fairly sure it would be impossible. Sorry!

Actually it would be possible - it could be an effect plugin. However, it would not be in the file menu and you would have to flatten the image first.

KaHuc.png

Just grab the imageshack toolbar from here. It makes uploading images to websites incredibly fast since all you have to do is drag your pic from your desktop to the website and it does everything else for you.

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

I actually have had some discussions with photobucket on implementing a feature like this (they approached me, in fact). It's just a matter of doing it, really, but it won't happen until 4.0 at least.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I actually have had some discussions with photobucket on implementing a feature like this (they approached me, in fact). It's just a matter of doing it, really, but it won't happen until 4.0 at least.

I gather it would have the ability to customize the upload sites - so that it would also be possible to upload to imageshack, deviantart, facebook, flickr, ect

KaHuc.png

I gather it would have the ability to customize the upload sites - so that it would also be possible to upload to imageshack, deviantart, facebook, flickr, ect

I imagine it would be tied to whichever site offered him the most money. :D

I would most likely do it as an extensibility point. So even if Paint.NET didn't ship with flickr support (for example), it would be easy enough to install a plugin for it.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I would most likely do it as an extensibility point. So even if Paint.NET didn't ship with flickr support (for example), it would be easy enough to install a plugin for it.
Something like the toolbar Jake spoke of, where the website would do the building of, and we, the user, would download and install? But not a toolbar, rather, an extension.

This is quite fascinating to read about, the extensibility Internet services, such as Photobucket, are reaching to to broaden their product and integrating themselves into common desktop applications for a better workflow. I know it's been done before, to death in fact, but when it's dealing with something a little closer to home - for me, a heavily used product such as PDN - it make it all the more fantastic.

It also goes to show how much of an impact PDN is having on the Internet.

They said they had a lot of pictures being uploaded with "Paint.NET" in the "Creation" metadata field, which was pretty cool.

Anyway the key thing for me is figuring out a good UI to deal with "remote" or "export" save points. For instance, if you go to File and Save As, you must pick a local or network location. That location is then remembered for when you go to File->Save. However, something like saving to photobucket would need to be File->Save to Web, or (more generally) File->Export To->photobucket. At this point, do we remember the location? Do we provide a shortcut like Ctrl+Alt+S? Does Paint.NET remember the 'local' save location and the 'web' save location? Does Paint.NET treat remote/export save points as first-class just like the local stuff? Should it be built-in to the Save workflow instead? etc. etc.

The other thing they mentioned was a Search feature that could pull images from photobucket. I've had the idea of putting a Search text box up near the Help menu for quite some time. Imagine typing "puppies" and then having it drop down with a list of all the relevant images from your chosen search provider.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

They said they had a lot of pictures being uploaded with "Paint.NET" in the "Creation" metadata field, which was pretty cool.

Anyway the key thing for me is figuring out a good UI to deal with "remote" or "export" save points. For instance, if you go to File and Save As, you must pick a local or network location. That location is then remembered for when you go to File->Save. However, something like saving to photobucket would need to be File->Save to Web, or (more generally) File->Export To->photobucket. At this point, do we remember the location? Do we provide a shortcut like Ctrl+Alt+S? Does Paint.NET remember the 'local' save location and the 'web' save location? Does Paint.NET treat remote/export save points as first-class just like the local stuff? Should it be built-in to the Save workflow instead? etc. etc.

File->Output Image->Flickr

or

File->Output Image->Dialog Box

The other thing they mentioned was a Search feature that could pull images from photobucket. I've had the idea of putting a Search text box up near the Help menu for quite some time. Imagine typing "puppies" and then having it drop down with a list of all the relevant images from your chosen search provider.

That would encourage plagiarism. A fair way would be a creative commons flickr search with forced watermark.

KaHuc.png

Sabrown, that was pointless. Just because you can easily import an image from Photobucket or something isnt going to create a large boom of plagiarism. If they want the image, all they have to do is go to images.google.com and get the images. This is for ease of use, not some super security law jabble pink pony bloody potato.

Which brings me to my second point, I think it should be in File> Export and then build a third plugin system for exporting images to unusual locations or file types.

signature.png

Sabrown, that was pointless. Just because you can easily import an image from Photobucket or something isnt going to create a large boom of plagiarism. If they want the image, all they have to do is go to images.google.com and get the images. This is for ease of use, not some super security law jabble pink pony bloody potato.

OK, I admit that was a silly comment. But if you just let people search PhotoBucket for images - you are only taking a weak guess that the owner intended to upload it as stock.

Which brings me to my second point, I think it should be in File> Export and then build a third plugin system for exporting images to unusual locations or file types.

I have already suggested both, one has been ignored, the other Rick Brewster didn't understand the need - saying it could just be an effect.

KaHuc.png