World's Universal Gallery (Sonic Screwdriver 1/18)

worldnewser

Thanks HELEN :)

Yeah, I've been on a bit of a roll these couple of weeks. Ironic, since I never usually think of things :lol:

However, that's the last of my summer batches :cry: I don't know if I'll have time to make more. If I do, they'll probably be a bit lower in quality...

Ah well. Maybe I'll come up with something. Soon. :P

I like the texture. I think you should just keep it as the underwater scene. If you want, maybe add a submarine or something.

Also, could you visit my gallery (the link is right under my sig). I finally posted it up!! More coming soon, too.

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

@Ash---My view of prehistoric Earth has gone all skewy :lol:

----------------

Hey! Someone's etched me on a cave wall!

Etched_on_a_Cave_Wall_by_Worldnewser.png

I'm planning a short comic featuring this little guy to discover exactly what went on in prehistoric cave pictures. Maybe.

It might be a one-shot comic because I tend to get really busy and then forget completely :(

But I've started something, so at least you'll get that :D

A break from realistic pieces, comics and caricatures!

It's been a while since I've made an abstract...

..or a wallpaper for that matter :wink:

Red_Neon_Highway_WP_by_Worldnewser.png

Oh, and I made this on the way to making the wallpaper. An interesting "water ring". It looks cooler when given a little twist :P

Water_Ring_by_Worldnewser.png <------You really have to click on this to see it properly. dA thumbnails doesn't seem to handle the transparency values of this image to well...

Its cool IMO....

....But I don't know what to do with it....

In other news, I have a few spacescenes that are being completed at the moment, as well as a neat little nine-panel comic. Stay tuned!

And if anyone's interested, I made my first six panel comic (no, not with me in it) and its posted on dA. If you want, hop over for a bit and take a look :wink:

@HELEN---Thanks! I never thought of the ring that way

You know, I've really wanted to post some C&C on some work that goes on around the forum, but I haven't had much time lately. That's why my responses to comments here are rather delayed, so I apologize. I really appreciate the comments though :)

Anyway, update! Foreign Planet landscape! Read the comments on the dA page for a more detailed description:

Foreginscape_by_Worldnewser.png

I'm not liking the river. It looks like you just applied dents to some colours and called it done (maybe a bit of displacement?). You can do much better. Blend the river with the texture of the ground more too. Right now, its more like ground|river|ground. Maybe add a transparency gradient? Or a gradient mask with added displacement?

The nebulae thing in background is a bit :? to me. It looks like its just been slapped on.

Now, the far planet in the background is nicely done. I really like the texture on it, it looks really real. Great job on that!

How do you make textures like that? I'm always having problems trying to make a worth planet texture, and i'd love to know how you made the one in your current piece.

P.S. Sorry if i sounded a little harsh, but no pain, no gain. hehe

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Yeah... I'm a slow responder to things, sorry :oops:

@LFC4EVER---Thanks for the constructive criticism. It's always good to get that once in a while :wink: Anyways, I did think that the river was sorta meh... However, I wanted to cover up the ground between the two "mountain ranges". I dunno, I just thought that the little piece of ground looked kinda weird (read post below). I guess slapping on that river made it look worse :lol: Perhaps if I find more time, I'll work on a better looking river Also, I was never too good with nebulas. You're right in saying that it looks "slapped on"; I was trying to spice up the dull "black+noise" starfield I had. I guess I should try looking at some photo references next time.

@Pipp92---Thanks :)

Update time! I have one abstract here:

PI_Abstract_WP_by_Worldnewser.png

Also, after LFC4EVER's advice, I tried to see what it would look like if I removed the river. I don't know whether it's better or not. Also, disregard the crappy sunrise/gradient thing. I just didn't want to post the ground by itself in the darkness. Yes, I know the gradient is off :wink: Besides, I'm not planning on using this background. I'm planning on doing a piece with a bunch of surrounding planets.

Foreign_Sunrise_WIP_by_Worldnewser.png

What do you guys think? Should I try it, or should I move on?

Comments and criticism welcome

The lighter part of the texture of the planet is good. I'm liking it. Where it ends, its not good. Its like its going from 3D into 2D. Maybe curve it like a planet at the end? Also, the lighting changes to dark too suddenly. It should fade out more. Maybe a transparency gradient or something should do it. Looking good though.

Don't scrap it. Ever.

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

The lighter part of the texture of the planet is good. I'm liking it. Where it ends, its not good. Its like its going from 3D into 2D. Maybe curve it like a planet at the end? Also, the lighting changes to dark too suddenly. It should fade out more. Maybe a transparency gradient or something should do it. Looking good though.

Don't scrap it. Ever.

Transparency gradient for the change in lighting... thanks :)

Oh, and I just remembered that I didn't answer your question about the planet in the previous piece. I made it by putting a spin on the "C4D-like renders using S3D" mini-tut Ash showed in his gallery a while back. I took a blank canvas image, made some clumps by using S3D Box mode on some random rotation settings, repeated it a few times, duplicated the layer, rotated the duplicated layer a bit, then made a new layer and started the whole thing again. After doing this for a while, I merged all layers down and used S3D, except this time in sphere mode with all lighting options turned off.

I know it seems kinda confusing.... In summary it was really trial and error with the positioning of the clumps, then using S3D sphere mode on it...

To celebrate Halloween, i decided to go a bit different from the norm and try a photo-manipulation! What did I learn? I learned that I suck hard at photo-manipulations! :lol:

However, I wanted to put something up, so I'll just put it up for you to see. yes, I realize that it's bad, but I find the theme I thought of interesting...

th_Hal2008.png

I call it "Haunted Skyscraper", mostly because it sorta looks like its blurring in some places (kinda going for a Supernatural effect. When I say Supernatural, I mean like the TV series) and that it's vanishing into the fog.

If anyone's interested, here's the original:

th_IMAG0212.jpg

I had to make it go from day to night :) Used curves+ to get the shading on the buildings as correct as possible

Invisible cookie goes to whoever can figure out which building this is :wink:

Happy Halloween!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow it's been two weeks :shock:

I haven't had a lot of time/ideas lately. Hmm... it seems like every winter I run out of ideas (I remember saying about a year ago that I was unable to make anything because I had no ideas). I guess why I seem to be making more abstracts.

Anyway, I was testing some methods and I finally got what I wanted... a crumpled paper/foil texture :)

th_Foilpaptxt.png

Perhaps I'll think of something to do with it when I have time...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow. I haven't updated in nearly two weeks :shock:

@HELEN--Sorry it took me such a long time to reply. The paper was really straightforward. I discovered the method using GIMP, and tweaked the steps to fit Paint.NET's capabilities. Actually, I'm planning to write a mini tut in my gallery about how to make crumpled paper. Stay tuned! :)

-----------------------

Anyways, after reading a thread on the PdN forums requesting glass tuts, I got into the mood to try out glass stuff. I never really did get a good idea as to how to make picture perfect glass....

A_Glass_Box_by_Worldnewser.png

Actually, I have a backlog of stuff waiting to be released. I just haven't found much time to upload them. Don't worry, I'm still alive.

Also, to everyone out there, I wish you guys a Happy Thanksgiving :D