World's Universal Gallery (Sonic Screwdriver 1/18)

worldnewser

Sorry, I die under homework pressure during the weekdays, so I don't usually get to replies that quickly :|

@Simple---well, honestly I saw the asteroid PS tut and after doing that I got the idea to go space-themed for awhile. Besides, now it matches my name Worldnewser :P

---------------

I'm trying to do a remix of a recent piece I did. However, after I switched some blending modes around, I made a few islands :) :

th_WIPislands.png

Now I'm not sure whether I should elaborate on the islands some more or continue with my original work. In fact, the original piece I'm making can sorta be seen in the islands pic. You just have to "look outside the box" per se :) . Of course, everything I'm making now is all PdN. When I decide what to do I'll post a second WIP.

Ok, so I'm keeping the islands on hold. I now have a basic template for a World Map! :)

th_worldmapv1.png

You're probably wondering why I'm making another Earth related piece. Well, the "Earth I currently have (ie. The one in my sig) wasn't made using Shape 3D. It also doesn't have realistic landmasses so...

It's not done yet. I still need to give it some global clouds and a proper texture for the land and ocean. And yes, I know I'm missing Japan and Indonesia. Enjoy :wink:

Very cool earth texture -- lookin good! -

BUT: where's Italy?!? My homeland has left the planet! (jk)

I like how the water seems to coming up on the land, as a realistic ocean should.

Good work, I can't wait to see the finished product.

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

PDN Gallery | I Made a Deviant Art!

Whoops, kinda looks like I made the mainland eat Italy :oops: Don't worry... I'll extract it out :wink:

You see, I got really obsessed with getting good detail. However, I was working from left to right, and as soon as I got as far as Spain, I got a bit rash. That's why Asia seems to lack detail. I'll get around to fixing it when I finish all my HW on the weekend.

That would be appreciated :lol:

Again -- looks awesome, and I can't wait for you to complete it

(I have no homework today! mauahaha...haha..ha...) ----- first time all year long, due to major tests in math

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

PDN Gallery | I Made a Deviant Art!

Sorry Everyone :cry:

I was supposed to have a secondary update to my WIP-World Map today. I carved out a few countries (Italy :wink: ), put in missing islands (Japan/ Indonesia) and some global clouds. However, the PdN file got corrupted :evil: However, I have a backup of the PdN file (from the most recent version before I added in the clouds). Problem is...well the place where I stored it is...inaccessible at the moment. I'm not going to be able to get to it for a while, and it'll take me a while more to make the global clouds again.... :evil: :|:( At this rate, I won't get it done until after I finish finals (I'll be able to get to the file by next weekend, but finals start the following week until Next Wed.) When I finish it, I'll post it.

In the meanwhile, I decided to do a little text experimenting. I've seen glass text done in lots of places. However, I really don't know for the life of me how to do it. I know that there's lots of blending modes involved (maybe inner drop shadow? Got that idea from PSDtuts...), but thats it. So I decided to do a quick experiment with stuff I should try (It's the first time I've ever played with Curves+ luminosity so much too...):

th_GlassText.png

Oh well. Even if it doesn't work for glass, I guess It'd make a nice "frosty" text (if I spice it up some more):

th_IceText.png

If anyone has any tips on glass text, I'm open to it. Open to all comments/criticism :)

Guess what? I got hold of the PdN file (yay :) )! So basically I've put in the global clouds. Not quite as good as before, but it seems okay for now:

th_WorldMapRC1.png

Now I'm really cut at a line now. I have a lot of schoolwork/studying to do. And I'm sure you can notice that a few countries are missing. Well, I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to it. So I guess I'm probably going to leave it like this, but I might work on it again later on (thats why I called it RC1 :) ) I'm kinda happy with this end result. For now.

Also, I decided to take this image and create a brand new "Rainbow Road" remix:

th_EarthRainbowRoad.png

Enjoy! Open to all comments

Also, I decided to take this image and create a brand new "Rainbow Road" remix:

th_EarthRainbowRoad.png

Enjoy! Open to all comments

that reminds me of a book I once read... Looks wonderful!-I really like the way the color is at random and the way the road wraps around the planet! :D

Click on my signature image for my gallery | hmmmm...

@janettsue and ZizOiz----Thanks :D It's the first prominent piece where I used the power stretch plugin to a wide extent. It's too bad that it's still in beta. It crashed on me quite a few times :x (the original image is way bigger than the image uploaded. Maybe that was why...)

EDIT: Btw, which Earth do you think is better? I really can't decide whether I should change my Earth in my sig---The first Earth has a nice, deep "Blue Marble" effect but the continents aren't quite realistic. However, the Shape 3D one has more realistic cloud cover and continents, but seems flat and pale. Any opinions?

It's the end of the world!

th_Asteroids.png

Enjoy Doomsday in its full-sized glory :twisted: There's really not much new here....It's a blend of some of my best pieces (Earth and Asteroids) into one large "portrait". Actually, in this piece, I was just experimenting with different blending modes, perspectives and effects. Also changed the Earth's HSVto make it a bit deeper and less pale.

Now I have to go study for Finals now, so ciaou :)

Taking a short break from srtudying (which evidently turned out to be not so short after all :twisted: ):

th_3DGlassv1.pngth_3DGlassv2.png

I decided to merge Jake2K's 3D Tut with some blending modes and layers. I'm not quite sure now, but perhaps it looks kinda like 3D Glass text? I'm still trying to figure out how to do regular glass text. Well for now, these are just two short quickies just playing around and experimenting.

Open to all comments :)

It does look sort of like glass text- One suggestion I would make to make it look more like glass would be to but a dim lighter area on the bottom. :D

Click on my signature image for my gallery | hmmmm...

I like the glass text you did. One suggestion, though. (Even though I'm not a PDN professional here). Add a little bit of white to the bottom of the letters. That way it will look see-through and give a glass effect.

Love your work! :)

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

@ZizOiz+Hlnl---Thanks for the feedback

Now I kinda remembered that glass text requires white and some highlighting. I just now thought about looking in Ash's gallery and taking some hints from there (why didn't I think of that before :? ) Maybe I'll redo the text sometime in the future. I'll figure out how to do glass eventually :)

Well, I just finished final examinations... now it's officially summer for me! Yay! :mrgreen:

My brain is still sorta recovering, so I just did a little abstract piece to pass the time:

th_ColorAbstract.png

You're probably wondering about the black....well there was so much white down there so I decided to just put in a space background being sucked into the epicenter. So I guess you can call it a multi-colored black hole :)

@ZizOiz---Thanks. Yes, perhaps it is plasma :) I guess I shoulda left the white in there.....

-------------

This began as a random set of gradients outta boredom. Then I sorta wanted it to become an abstract. And then, it became some sorta water texture:

th_Water.png

It's merely a beginning though. I'm not sure how to improve it and/or do anything with it. I'm open to any suggestions :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm sure many (ok maybe not many) are wondering why I haven't posted in about a week and a half. Well, I've been really min-blocked for awhile. Then I found this PS tut, which I was trying to convert, but didn't seem quite possible to do properly. Then I decided to redo the entire thing from scratch. Now what I have here is just a WIP, it is really bad IMHO, but it's a start. I don't think I'll be using this planet as the template anymore, because the clouds keep getting in the way. I know it's a mess, but it's just a head's up to let you guys know that I'm still alive and thinking :wink:

th_MeteorStrike.png

The thumbnail kinda looks better than the full sized thing :|

@ZizOiz---Thanks for the feedback :)

Success! I finally finished my Meteor Strike piece :D (Albeit It's a completely different take from the PS tut I read. Just decided to make a more apocalyptic scene) :

th_MeteorStrikeV2.png

The PS tut was more focused on the shockwave aspect. It seemed awkwardly described in how to make it merge with the planet, therefore rendering it slightly un-doable properly in my case.

Just thought I would explain just a few things about it:

1) The outermost shockwave was my outcome from utilizing some steps in the PS tut

2) The brightened noise above the atmosphere was meant to be destroyed matter rising from the explosion.

3)The brightened stuff out there in space (on the top and to the right) was meant to be other meteors.

Of course, if I was to go by the geographical location on the map, it appears that the explosion occurred somewhere in Western Canada. I didn't choose it on purpose.

Completely PdN :) Open to all comments

Thanks Hlnl :) I've got a nice, refreshing water texture and I still can't find a way to shape it into something cool. Still trying to figure out how to make a nice fountain with it.....

--------------

Nice new update for the first day of July. Nothing big here, although it did take some time (and lotsa layers) to do. Just a nice interface to display what it would look like if an asteroid did hit. The only thing stock is the picture of NY, PA, NJ (Those three I took myself) and California (found online). In fact, each of those images have been modified to make it look like an explosion occurred nearby. Everything else is all PdN (Guinevere1, both maps, windows, background).

th_ImpactInterface.png

To me, it has a nice, Torchwoody feel. Probably because I used the same color scheme unknowingly. Also hid three Doctor Who references :wink: