Vignetting

Hello list

Can someone please tell me the easiest way to create a vignetted image (ie an image whose edges blur into the same colour as the background of the page).

I think it is done by cutting out the image and some how blurring the edged with an underlying white layer underneath, but I can't get the hang of it.

Really appreciated.

Thanks

---------------------------------------

Senior Developer

http://www.OtusComputing.com

technical help forums: http://www.OtusComputing.com/forum

Nice approach Pickle...I have been doing it the hard way (blurring the edges of the image)...

I had been doing that for the longest time until the method above dawned on me. I made a .TGA and used it in a movie of mine, for a blooper reel. How's about that? Paint.NET has applications in filmmaking!

-Pikl

Photobucket - Blog

Newest Film: Beowulf (Feel free to PM me comments, criticisms)

Oh, yeh, I've used it for title screens... but what I meant there was that I had used it to create a viginette for a blooper reel at the end of one of my movies.

I made the viginette frame and overlayed it, and I had the bloopers in the background playing at 80% size. I hate rectangles, I wanted a smooth transition from the blooper playing to the black background of the film. So I just saved my piece as a .tga and overlayed it over the film. It was neat. The video should be up sooner or later, I'll link it when I do.

I used Paint.NET for the credits in the same movie, but I later swapped those credits out for a newer version which was all done in 3D Studio Max R7. I liked it better. :D

-Pikl

Photobucket - Blog

I'll keep that in mind. I'm not able to do one right now, as I'm working on my laptop at the moment. For some reason my laptop CD-ROM is having trouble installing Premeire Elements 1.0, so I'll have to wait 'til I'm on my desktop to begin composing one.

You should see it in the tutorials forum when I get it done, and I'll be sure and edit this post and include the link.

-Pikl

Photobucket - Blog

It's my main video-editing application, or non-linear editor (NLE for short). It's incredible, there's nothing that comes anywhere near Premiere Elements in terms of bang for your dollar. It's very nearly a professional NLE (It's damn near identical to Adobe Premeire Pro, which is a professional NLE) for just $100.

It's not unlike an image editor, except it's for video. You have video and audio layers, effects, and transitions for your video. Like I said, I used Paint.NET to create a viginette .tga image for use over one of my video clips. Moviemaking is fun. :)

-Pikl

Photobucket - Blog