Oma's gallery

oma

:shock: Well, what can i say? oma, you have shocked many of us yet again, with the amazing sealife piece again! Like topezia, I also prefer the blue version. :D

I reckon it is worthy for the Galleria!

*reports the image post*

:D

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

thanks I'm honored you liked this so much. I better add all three versions to my DA sometime later today.

:D

did you find the starfish? That little monster took me forever to figure out a great texture and when I reduced it down all the detail went oooooph! :roll: Maybe I'll have to do a different picture and feature the starfish and maybe I'll attempt an octopus (I came across a good suction cup method when working on the starfish) :lol:

Oma, how in the world did you do that blue fish and the little ones surrounding it? I'm very interested in your work; it's definitely worth looking at. Please PM me if you don't mind (concerning the blue fish) :D

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

well the blue fish has been a long time in the making so I don't really know how to explain. I start off with a very rough loose line drawing and a texture I like. I must have started this about 2 months ago and left it for weeks then worked for a few mins here and there.

so from what I can remember

in this case there were about 4 or maybe 5 layers overlays at different opacity for the skin. I generally just go by feel on things like this and can't rightly recall in what order I did this but there was a layer of pinky purple light and a layer of blue and a layer of another blue Ummmm looking at the close ups and what I remember I know one layer was bucket filled spheres and overlayed with bucket filled diagonals. the diagonals I'm about 99% sure I stretched out. similar to how I did the cardboard tut. I did remember doing one semi transparent layer of shingles overlay very light transparency. You can see that in the tail close up below. As I said several overlays , at different transparencies in areas and multiple blend modes between the layers.

I used the power stretch part way up the tail to get that ridge.To get the tail fins stretched out I used the selection rectangle and pulled and then cloned in any odd bits as required. Can't recall but looking at the tail section I'm sure I also used buldge somewhere below the tail to get a curve. I don't think I used Octagonal/quad reshape, but I often do when shaping items like this .

I also used clone on giving the tail some thickness. You could use outline and erase away some bits but I just painted them in where I needed them with clone.

the nose portion I'm sure I used point wrap to make the cone shape. and the fins along the back and the gills and the other balance fins are all the same. shape 3d cylinders several dup layers.

then there was the shading in layers over top of that fish to give highlights, using plain old gassiaun blur and transparency adjustments. just like in my basics I showed on making faces. http://omagrandmother.deviantart.com/ar ... N-73435203 << That is the most important part I think, I just gave that fish dimension and made it more 3d!

for the finishing shaping I used loads of clone and plenty of eraser to get the curved feel. Mostly it was just by eye a minor adjustment here and a bit there until I was satisfied with the sense of movement.

Here are a few close up of the fish from when I was about 3/4 finished, perhaps you can see some of the things I mentioned above.

Very sorry I didn't keep more screen shots during the making of the blue fish. It really was just a calming therapy piece I was doing for my own enjoyment. I didn't really intend to share this one, but I am glad I did now, as its brought some pleasure to others as well.

pg 9 #2

aboutthefish1.png

as you can see he is still pretty ragged around some edges and it was at this point where I did the the majority of the last refining shaping. Using selection of circles and deleting them. and a bit more powerstretch and cloneing.

here are two real close ups so you can see the texture and shading.

aboutthefish2.png

aboutthefish3.png

ADDED I was looking at this and just remembered when I did the fish as I saved it I used 8 bit dithering. That gave a bit of specklly before I imported it into the cavern background and the cut and paste of the little fish. The method of getting some fish back behind the rocks and some in front is similar to how you make rings interlock. good old cut and paste.

Quik real min tut to make a small fish.

start with a nice texture.

number1.jpg

shape 3d sphere at default i like to start with a circle just because I like to bulge sometimes but in this case i just used the move button and dragged down the top nub to make a squashed circle. also using a squished down circle gives some more interesting texture swirls.. I like to make two the same just in case I mess up....

beleive me I do that often.

number2.jpg

from same texture a cylinder at these settings

number3.jpg

put a little twist on the ends

number4.jpg

you are going to make several duplicate layers move them apart and right clik and swivel so the are not all straight up and down

number5.jpg

merge them all together this is the basis of the top fin the fin at the end of the tail and little gills etc etc

number6.jpg

can you see the pieces ( each was done on a separte layer so some could go forward and some behind ... notice the little covering for the gill thats just a copy of the body squished down circle and the bottom fin a bulged out circle squished a wee little bit. and what about the tail two body shapes real small with the top cylinder fins real small tucked in behind.

make an eye and an mouth this is what it looks like

number7.jpg

now just use the move button and drag it down real tiny. copy and paste into different layers remember the farther away they are the less transparecy and the smaller they are.

here is a png image you can right clik and save and import into your own picture as a small gift from me.

number8.png

That concludes this really very simple mini tut. Let your imaginations run wild the more texture and colorations ususally the better the fish.

@Topezia I'll just do a few pics up shortly to explain what were speaking about the releif and transparecy perspective for the small fish via PM"S. So check back later tonight, hopefully I'll get a chance to do something for you, and it will be here at the bottom of this tut.

I guess my biggest confusion is how to use the Shape 3d properly. Topezia explained to me in an e-mail message how she did her pen (it's in her gallery) and your mini tut helped me out a lot. I'm just looking around to see how others do it. Thanks for the tut!!!!

sig-1.png

My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

yes 3d shape is a plug in that takes awhile to master. I'm still fiddling with it myself. Most things I just draw and shade without using it.

simplist and easiest thing is to just play, just open a new picture, and run the effect on a layer of color/gradiant/texture anything at all. Use the defaults for cylinder first, try moving the x y z little dials . gives you the idea of how things move around. set those back to default position (0) and then use the camera angle box. you will see it at a glance what that's doing. myself I would leave the light alone until you feel more confident. . The boxes for the sizes of height, width etc are good to fiddle with.

But really the

best way to learn it is not to go into it to make a picture , just play with it until it feels natural. Most people are frightened off by so many gizmo's and gadgets and bells and whistles. Just do one thing at a time and work your way thru all the different parts.

So you are saying I can make a cylinder now ... OMA used that in her fish, Topezia in her pen, so what can you make? a weiner dog? a body of a butterfly? a submarine?

PLAY TIME for HLNL!

Thanks so much Oma (and you say you are bad at making tuts!) this i.m.o. should be posted in the tutorial sections so that others could take advantage of your tips: i.e. I never thought about making more than a layer when coloring/shaping (my method was 1 layer for the outline, 1 for the texture , 1 for the color! That opens me a new world of discoveries and tests in making an image and I am going to try your method in my new images from now on)

If we hopeless drawers could have some more tuts like that I think we could have some chances to improve!

and now an ola for Oma:

happy110smileyola.gif:D

Ciao!

Thanks for the "Ola wave" I hesitate to put it in the tut section as its just basics, my own fish I do much more work on textures and shadows etc. here is an example of the type of texture I generally start with. You will see much more precise placement required but I'd never be able to explain how I do this and get the shading in the correct spot. Its just a natural instinct and I just can not explain it.

have a good look at this one and then compare against that one in the galleria "Baby whale little fishes" it is just one of the textures I used on that picture.

1032pmfeb292008-1.png

and yes it does use polar inversion :lol::lol::lol: " But please Remember everyone polar inversion is an effect tool not a picture!" MY very fav all time effect.....and Bolt Bait is now groaning as he sees mega polar inversion pictures start to flood the pictorium. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

th_1032pmfeb292008-1.png

That one looks very cool! Excellent use of Hexagon!

And I like your first new abstract too -- great use of lens flares - it's nice and sharp!

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

PDN Gallery | I Made a Deviant Art!

Have a great time wherever you are going. You will be missed. I'll look forward to your post when you return. The texture is fantastic and the abstracts as well. Smiles!

"One can't complain. I have my friends. Someone spoke to me only yesterday." EEYORE

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Janettsue I'm back, ready to get to work again. Just stuck for an idea..... think I better read all the posts and make sure I've not missed any new fantastic plugins, and check everyone's art work out. I did a quick run thru and see so many new people, loads of new talent to keep track of.

ciao

OMA

thanks Topezia glad to be home sleeping in my own bed once again. Had a good time staying at my sisters recuperating but home well its still the best.

I feel I promised you something but for the life of me I can't find where and what I promised to explain. let me know by pm and I'll get to work on it while I'm at a loose ends creative wise. Stuck for an idea that appeals right now. :lol: Better reach in my little box of tricks and pick out some cards for a practice session on something until the creative spirit hits me once again. :lol:

ciao

Ha Ha Ha I did say I had to re draw this one. I'd been to the zoo took some kodak's and then proceeded to pick the only picture where the camel has that weird stance. The back leg is actually hidden behind the front two. I was 3/4 way thru before I realized he looked weird, like he was standing on 3 legs only. I've some better quick sketches and pictures from the zoo the other day, one of them will work its way into the next Paint.Net attempt. Promise I'll pick one where all 4 legs are visible. :lol::lol:

finally decided to do some old fashioned pencil drawing once again

th_camelapossibleideainthemaking.jpg

This first picture is my 3 legged camel. It was a very bad drawing. Very flat color wise. I did end up using it for practice on the face portion. The face is so expressive on a camel. I absolutely needed to redo this drawing with a better one with 4 legs as ASH pointed out the me.

So after much work I have now completed the above idea into this picture .... a larger one will be on my Deviant art gallery very shortly

almostdoneforpaintnet.png

Below are screen shots and such of the work in progress on this revamped piece.

pictures across

1)this shows drawing in my sketch book (old fashioned pencil and paper) note the pencil HB kneaded eraser and tortillion. My tools of trade.

2) scanned into computor, this shows removing the white paper outside of the picture using adjustments brightness and contrast then eraser for the little stubborn bits,

3) in the process of giving this camel texture and color. wand various portions and add a gradiant, then wand other sections different tolerance. give a bit of noise+ and smooth.

4) now the last camel image on the right looks much better. I can start refining the contours on him/her? I think next I will need to figure out how to do individual hair texture. a lot of edge clean ups then some background, pyramids ? not sure ?

th_frommysketchpad-1.jpgth_removingthebackgroundfromscannedske.pngth_colorizationofcamel.jpgth_d049a.png

EDIT: so updated work shots

addingindividualhairslongprocess.png

a duplicated layer with color burn this gives a darker richer color. and more definition to the hairs. Note I did not completely cover him in hair just along muscle lines and contours, a few strays off the edges and along the neck ..... just enough so your mind fills in the rest.

onehairycamelhahaha.png

Pictures from left to right

1) Aug 18 2008 rough in Idea for back ground (color needs work texture needs work and definitely the lines have to go and they need proper perspective drawing.) WOW! I've my work cut out for me on this one. :lol:

2) Aug 19 2008 settled on texture, color and the need to round off the corners of the building structures.

still a long ways to go and some major ideas for additions and deletions in original background concept. just noticed I'm thinking the shadows are in wrong place for the camel in relation to where the light falls on the building ????? I better rethink that area! :!: :wink:

3) Aug 20 2008 now that's much better the shadow for the camel looks in correct position worked on the texture and the buildings some more added my pyramids and a couple of palm trees. the bark was a real nightmare on those trees. leaves do you see the fractal fern shapes. used releif and some fancy blends.

4) Aug 21 2008 cleaning stray pixels adding building decorations, rocks more sand work ..different tones and dips and smooths

th_screenshotbackgroundroughin.pngth_workonbackgroundroundedcornersonbui.pnga.png1-1.png

finished finally see top of this post. the very last touches were

some cracked plaster. that's copy a section and paste in new layer ... releif with still active selection ...then smooth...then lower transparency on the layer.

ect ect I'm glad you looked at all this hope some of it helps you in one of your own pictures.

now this camel looks better and I can start refining the contours and need to figure out how to do individual hair texture. a lot of edge clean ups then some background, pyramids ? not sure ?

See? The creative spirit came to knock at your door once again! Told you it needed a vacation (may be he went to egypt? :lol:)

Looks great so far! May I give my suggestion for the background? Why not insert him (how do I know he's a male? please don't ask!) in a completely different context (f.i. a trafficated road downtown) style "What am I doing here?" :D

Ciao

So my question to you is, do you scan your images in? I scanned my pictures in and then colored and refined them in PDN. I'm still working on my gallery. *sigh* I need some motivation and more time for my gallery.

sig-1.png

My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

this camel one and the ballerina one yes scanned images I drew myself. Sometimes when my hands hurt I can not manouver the mouse so easily to use the line tools, or I want to work on an item from my sketch pad. The fish scene and the flying island (once upon a time) straight line tools all the way. The Indiana Jones style one straight line tools and a billion layers and effects.

so short answer a combo of ways, but everything is all my work, no outside photos, or renders.

motivation ..... well that comes in bits and spurts. Often from a song I heard or a book I've read. Or a place I visit.

in this case I'd recently been to the zoo, was currently reading a CIA spy novel called "The Camel Club" and had a catchy tune in my head by the Bedouin soundclash. Bedouin reminded me of deserts and deserts reminded me of camels.

ciao

OMA