How to Install Plugins ×

Conditional Hue/Saturation Effect Available

evanolds

Does anyone know how to change the color of a black object? No matter how much I try, the black doesn't change color...

RuneScapeBorn2killxSig.png

I built my first computer at age 11!

What do you want to change the black to?

You can use the curves (Layers-> Adjustments -> Curves or Ctrl + Shift + M) and change the Transfer Map to RGB. There you can adjust a "global color correction", also affecting your greytones...

You can't select black from its "color" as Black is the color 0/0/0 - no color at all.

you can always select the black with the magic wand, delet it and replace it with another colour.....but this is tha lazy way =P (in fact i dunno what is the picture...so.....)

bannercodeah7.png

Erm, I don't understand how to open the plugin file. When the window pops up to select the program to open the file, I choose Paint.NET and it says, "The image type is not recognized, and cannot be opened."

@LadyTigress You don't have to open it with paint.net, you have to copy the file into the Effects directory of Paint.net, for example "c:\program files\Paint.NET\Effects"

• 2 weeks later...

How exactly does this work?

I've added it to my effects section, but I'm still a total beginner and don't really understand this...

any help? Please?

RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM...TRICK OR TREAT!

Alrighty, let's see:

condhuesat.jpg

1. This is the color wheel. The black arc on this wheel indicates which colors will be affected by the plugin. The color range inside the black arc will be affected, the range outside the arc will be untouched. Left click to set the left bound, right click to select the right bound. These are set absolutely, so if the range is at the bottom of the color wheel, left-clicking will move the side on the right side.

2. These are the manual slider controls. They do the same thing as right and left clicking on the color wheel, but can allow you to be more precise. Pressing the left and right arrows while the slider is selected moves the slider by 1. The left slider moves the left side of the bounds, the right slider moves the right side of the bounds.

3. These are the saturation controls. These control the saturation range of the colors to be affected. Moving the left slider moves the arc in from the center, the right slider moves the arc in from the outside.

4. This is where you chose how you want to affect the Hue of the chosen range. The Add mode changes the hue for each color by the amount specified on the slider the same way the built-in Hue Saturation filter functions. The Set mode sets the hue of the pixel range to the setting specified on the slider, regardless of the original color. The Fade modes create a rainbow blend of hues across the entire range of selected pixels. The None option is used when you only want to change saturation.

5. This is the Saturation slider. Adjust this to affect the saturation of the specified color range.

6. A little help box explaining basic use.

Hope that helps! If you'd like some before / after screenshot comparisons, lemme know!

Dan

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Ok so that did help, but i'm still unclear on how to change the hue. I understand that the range on the color wheel changes what colors are affected, but how do you change what the secondary color is? The color that all the ones affected by the range change to.

sorry if my question is a bit unclear

RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM RED RUM...TRICK OR TREAT!

Moving the Hue Action and Saturation Adjustment sliders changes the color of the pixels. In order to see what it changes the color to, you'll have to look at the picture itself, as the final color depends upon the starting color (well, in Add mode, anyway).

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

• 3 weeks later...

when running the plugin on PNG objects with transparency, the transparency information isn't saved, so I get images like this:

original

bflyhuechangebug001.png

modified

bflyhuechangebug002.png

could this fix be put into the next release? also, is there an ETA for the next release, if not, is there like a email list for updates?

You know the place.

when running the plugin on PNG objects with transparency, the transparency information isn't saved

Dang, you're right. I'll try to make a fix for that.

[A]lso, is there an ETA for the next release, if not, is there like a email list for updates?

No, unfortunately there is neither. No plans for an email update list but hopefully if all I have to change is transparency preservation then I can have another release this weekend.

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

is there like a email list for updates?

Just make sure your forum settings are set to send you e-mails when a subscribed thread is updated. Then when Evan posts an update right here, you'll get an e-mail.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Ok, the transparency preservation fix was easy enough.

Here's the download link for version 1.3 (same link as before):

http://www.evanolds.com/HueSatFilter.zip

Let me know if it works out alright.

I also (finally) put up the latest version of the source code.

There are no warranties whatsoever on my plug-ins. Use them at your own risk. You may redistribute them if you'd like, but I'd prefer you just link to the download on my site. Please do not modify and redistribute.

• 1 month later...

Thank You, here is what I was able to come up with after a few minutes of fiddling.

Original:

beforehyedipin00000pu5.jpg

After Modification:

afterhyedipin00000hk6.jpg

And of course, the settings for my particular image.

settinghyedipin0000wl8.jpg

By keeping all values same and with only changing the range of color on the picker, you can make everything black and white BUT the selected range (in my case Purple to Red range)

Thank You.

I'd like to make a request for this plugin's UI:

Would it be possible to have it set the input color within a default range of the current primary color and have the output color set to the current secondary color? Then the user could adjust from there.

That way a user could just select the color he or she wants to change with the eyedropper.

I'd like to make a request for this plugin's UI:

Would it be possible to have it set the input color within a default range of the current primary color and have the output color set to the current secondary color? Then the user could adjust from there.

That way a user could just select the color he or she wants to change with the eyedropper.

Or this plugin could easily be turned into a "Color Swap / Color Isolate" plugin with a modification.

User could use the color picker to select an object's color on the image, for example baby's blue eyes on the picture above, and hit "isolate" and that would auto-adjust everything and produce an image that is totally B&W, but the seleceted color would remain. (sorry if this was discussed before)

Would it be possible to have it set the input color within a default range of the current primary color and have the output color set to the current secondary color?

There really isn't explicitly an "output color" in this plugin. This is not merely a color replacement tool; maybe some of the coders out there can implement that if you make an official request. Yet, I see what you're aiming at and it sounds like a decent idea and something that is doable (if you choose "Set" for the hue action, it's a bit like an "output color"). I'll see if I can get something done that would involve creating the input range and output action based on the primary and secondary colors.

We'll see... it won't be coming very soon that's for sure. Maybe I'll have time over Thanksgiving break.

Would it be possible to have it set the input color within a default range of the current primary color and have the output color set to the current secondary color?

There really isn't explicitly an "output color" in this plugin. This is not merely a color replacement tool; maybe some of the coders out there can implement that if you make an official request. Yet, I see what you're aiming at and it sounds like a decent idea and something that is doable (if you choose "Set" for the hue action, it's a bit like an "output color"). I'll see if I can get something done that would involve creating the input range and output action based on the primary and secondary colors.

We'll see... it won't be coming very soon that's for sure. Maybe I'll have time over Thanksgiving break.

I understand what you are saying. The output is more of a shift rather than a different color.

If even the input could be set to within a range of the Primary color, though, that would be cooler than being set to some default.

I'm going to study coding in C# myself, but I'm too new to figure it out completely on my own.