Ash

Ash

Thanks guys and gals, just a little ranting.

HELEN: You've just been too kind to everyone, Big Bird award? :wink:

Possum: I have no idea which topic those 4 steps hint are from, I drop many hints all over the forum. :P

Goon: Not disheartened, however 5000+ views and 29 comments is not even 0.6%. Just sucks the energy right out. Even a car needs some gas. :)

cazaron: "It will never happen"? Not if you keep thinking like that. :wink:

LFC: It doesn't need to be "Awesome tut!" comment, just a simple thx, or let me know how the tut worked out for ya or where did you use the method and such would be good enough.

Anywayz, enough ranting and stuff!

Possibly a new eye tut will follow the gem tut. :)

Thanks all!

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

fair call, but i dont put enough energy in to being as good as you.

but yes, you're right. :)

thanks for all your help so far, all for v3!

You should get the Win7 theme for XP. Then get the rest of Win7. Then uninstall XP. Then it'll really look nice. ~ David Atwell

You should get the Win7 theme for XP. Then get the rest of Win7. Then uninstall XP. Then it'll really look nice. ~ David Atwell

• 2 weeks later...

Three quick words: Amazing. Fantastic. Super. :P

It kind of looks like a petri dish. You can make something glowy come out or something. I can't wait to see what you come up with. And no, I'm not attempting for no award (though it would be cool), I just try to be a nice person. :wink:

sig-1.png
Don't spit into the well, you might drink from it later. -----Yiddish Proverb

Glossy Galaxy Ball---How to Make Foliage
My Gallery

PDN Fans--My DA

That looks great ... I bet Lance' will be headbutting his monitor wondering how you did that :P

Awesome job Ash, I think I'll join Lance' in banging my head against the screen ...

That's how one gets better, by headbutting the monitor....well...thinking hard. :wink:

It kind of looks like a petri dish. You can make something glowy come out or something. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

I was thinking just the same. We'll see, sometimes test pieces don't go beyond the 1st stage.

However, the method/technique might come in handy for later. :)

great job on that one ASH one of your best glossy glassy so far. I'd be interested in how you did this one as well. I can recognize some of what you've done but not all. I can hear Lance banging his head as well. :lol:

ciao OMA

Personally I don't think this one is the best glassy I've done, but thanks anyways. :D

That looks great ... I bet Lance' will be headbutting his monitor wondering how you did that :P

Awesome job Ash, I think I'll join Lance' in banging my head against the screen ...

great job on that one ASH one of your best glossy glassy so far. I'd be interested in how you did this one as well. I can recognize some of what you've done but not all. I can hear Lance banging his head as well. :lol:

ciao OMA

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I didn't do any headbutting against the monitor...my will make my wife cringe and smack my head upside down. Then I'll be leaking brain cells for days till I turn into a vegetable.

Officially retired from this forum. Have a nice day.

I hate to teach the teacher, but glass has specular reflections, as opposed to diffuse reflections. You'll never see a reflection on glass that is that (referring to your last) softened or blurred unless it's distorted. You got it right in the one before that though. :wink:

I hate to teach the teacher, but glass has specular reflections, as opposed to diffuse reflections. You'll never see a reflection on glass that is that (referring to your last) softened or blurred unless it's distorted. You got it right in the one before that though. :wink:

Ok Blooper, I'll try to be quick since I'm on my mobile data, and firefox saved a few of my posts already....

Oh really? Have you thought about.

1. Material? (Glass? or is it Ice? Plastic? Acrylic?)

2. Surface condition? (Scratched? not smooth glass?)

3. Shape of the glass? (Both inside and out or even hollow middle)

4. Distortion..(You said that)

5. Refraction (Not everything is reflection, you know?)

6. Light source. (Diffused light source?)

So you mean to tell me that you know all the condition of this piece, and in no way this is possible?

And I was thinking about the point you made when I was just over in Asia on the bus, looking out the window, and wow!

Nature was showing me a good example.

Partly/Mostly cloudy day, the sun behind/Diffused by the clouds. and the reflection on other car windows....bam!! :wink:

And besides...looking at it a few more time, it's not too diffused as you said. You want my piece to have a clear cut reflection? (4 little bent white rectangles? or white round, oval?) Sorry, but that just seems too "dead" for my work.

Don't get me wrong however, I like it when other give opinions like this, makes me think more/work hard... no matter correct or not. (But don't come in all at once, people... :lol: )

Wonderful stuff Ash and very inspiring , had a look at your Gem tut as well as some others and now the brain and imagination are in overdrive :D

Thanks and I'm glad, hope to see some of your work from some of my tuts and stuff.

Ok Blooper, I'll try to be quick since I'm on my mobile data, and firefox saved a few of my posts already....

Oh really? Have you thought about.

1. Material? (Glass? or is it Ice? Plastic? Acrylic?)

2. Surface condition? (Scratched? not smooth glass?)

3. Shape of the glass? (Both inside and out or even hollow middle)

4. Distortion..(You said that)

5. Refraction (Not everything is reflection, you know?)

6. Light source. (Diffused light source?)

1. Yeah, of course. But seriously, I'd take glass over plastic any day, it looks 10 times nicer. :lol:

2. Unless this is pretty zoomed out, you would be able to see displacements on the glass.

3. So it is glass, eh? See 4.

4. This seems to be light coming from the front, if it wasn't, it would be distorted the highlights would very likely not all be in the same spot.

5. Refraction is a change in the direction of light. Said simply, distortion.

6. Plausible, but like I said in 1, it doesn't look as good, especially in the environment you put it in, where the fact that you can't tell where the light is coming from helps make it seem somewhat weird.

So you mean to tell me that you know all the condition of this piece, and in no way this is possible?

Yes. :D

No, of course I don't. In a way, it's possible. But it doesn't look nearly as nice. :P

And I was thinking about the point you made when I was just over in Asia on the bus, looking out the window, and wow!

Nature was showing me a good example.

Partly/Mostly cloudy day, the sun behind/Diffused by the clouds. and the reflection on other car windows....bam!! :wink:

And besides...looking at it a few more time, it's not too diffused as you said. You want my piece to have a clear cut reflection? (4 little bent white rectangles? or white round, oval?) Sorry, but that just seems too "dead" for my work.

Considering the refractive index of glass, I think you'd have a hell of a lot of work either way.

Now, of course, you can play the "I can ignore your arguments because I made it and I decide" card. Might be possible, but I, with my humble opinion that I'm trying to shove down your throat, think it would look better otherwise. ;)

3. I should've used object.... :P

6. from appx. 4 o'clock at about the same level as the object.

Looking better or not, that's a matter of opinion. I don't mind you telling me yours, and most likely I'll keep mine. :wink:

Correct/possible or not, mother nature showed me it is. And that was the point I tried to make.

Untitled4_by_0_ASH_0.png

A user on the PDN fan forum asking what I mean about NOT to use uniform transparency when trying to make glassy objects.

Btw, I opened my own mind and had some new ideas while coming up with this test piece... :idea: :) :idea:

Of course glass would not appear to be the same transparency throughout the entire object, but how would one achieve varying degrees of transparency on the same object? Layers and blend modes? I keep looking at your glass pieces and I just can't figure out how you are doing them. I have done a recent piece that I think really does look like glass, but I can only do it with an orb object using layers and blend modes. How are you getting the varied transparency on all of these different shapes? And how are you getting the refracted (?) colors where the glass bends at an angle?

Oh, and when can we expect the next gemstone tut? I have really enjoyed the first two.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE