Default Folder in Open and Save Dialogs

danmeans

The Open and Save dialogs both remember the last folder you were in, which is great. I invoke the Open dialog, navigate to a folder and open an image. When I invoke the Open dialog again, it's already pointing to the folder I navigated to last time. Same with the Save dialog. So far, so good.

The problem I have is that both of these dialogs share the same "last folder" setting. Most of my work in Paint.NET involves opening an image in folder A, making changes, and saving it to folder B. With many images, this causes a lot of navigating each time I open and save. Here are the steps:

1. I invoke the Open dialog, navigate to folder A and open an image file.

2. I make changes, then invoke the Save As dialog (which defaults to folder A), navigate to folder B and save the image.

3. I again invoke the Open dialog to open another image, but it's defaulting to folder B (since that was the last folder I was in using the Save As dialog) rather than folder A (the last folder I was in using the Open dialog).

What I would like is for each of these dialogs to remember their "last folder" independant of each other. The Open dialog should remember its last folder and the Save As dialog should remember its own last folder.

Does this make sense? Is it possible to do this already and I'm just missing something?

Dan

Rick might correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the save/open dialogs are .NET standard dialogs, provided by Microsoft. I don't think this is something he can change. Good idea, though. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Correct. Paint.NET manages the initial directory itself; this is especially required for the Vista version of the dialog, the accessibility of which is not built in to .NET 2.0. (I had to write a ton of COM interop to get to it)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

would that also mean Paint.NET could still save and open with shell alternatives?

If not, then it's the shell at fault, not Paint.NET. Probably.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

would that also mean Paint.NET could still save and open with shell alternatives?

If not, then it's the shell at fault, not Paint.NET. Probably.

I hope my shell of choice wont act up once we recieve it.

signature.png

It'll be an alpha. And a private one to boot.*

So don't be surprised if things break ;)

*bad pun...

EDIT: it's an alpha, not a beta. Even worse! :P

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!