Rick Brewster

CodeLab v3.2 (for advanced users) Released January 17, 2018

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

Hey! How about that!?

 

That's awesome, man.  Thanks!

 

Yeah, it was low on his list of priorities... but it was high on mine.  So, I started working on it and he couldn't resist finishing it. :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

 

Yeah, it was low on his list of priorities... but it was high on mine.  So, I started working on it and he couldn't resist finishing it. :D

 

 

Regardless, I'm glad that you two worked on it.  I am a much more visual-orientated person, which is why coding is difficult for me.  I can see the solution in my head, but to actually translate that to something useful, LOL, nope.

 

For example, in the screenshot by @toe_head2001, I would want to know the exact code behind the radio button, the exact code behind the color wheel, so forth, and while I can make out how it work-ish, I still struggle to put it all together.  Logic has never been my strong suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you'll like the next release... which should be later tonight (assuming all goes well).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CodeLab 3.1 Released

This is only for Paint.NET 4.0.21+!

 

Big update today...

 

Changes:

▪ Object disposal in "File > New" Templates. (BoltBait)
Create Work Surface in "File > New" Templates. (BoltBait)
▪ View Full Source without having to build a DLL file. "View Source" changed from check box to button on the Build to DLL screen. (BoltBait)
▪ Support for NestedTypes to the 'Intelligent Assistance' features. (toe_head2001)
▪ User Interface controls can now be previewed while in the UI Designer. (BoltBait & toe_head2001)
▪ The script can now be run with a fully functional UI, while still in CodeLab. Building a DLL file is not necessary to see how your final effect will look. (Does not include Help.) (BoltBait & toe_head2001)
▪ Bug Fix: reported issues with 'Format Document' (thanks, xod). (toe_head2001)

 

Grab the CodeLab DLL here:

http://www.boltbait.com/pdn/CodeLab/

 

UIPreview.png

 

WRKSurface.png

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

▪ The script can now be run with a fully functional UI, while still in CodeLab. Building a DLL file is not necessary to see how your final effect will look.

 

Hey Bolt, does that mean we can change sliders (of UI) to change values in editor dynamically while working in codelab?

 

EDIT: Once I reach home I will test that.

Edited by Pratyush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pratyush said:
20 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

▪ The script can now be run with a fully functional UI, while still in CodeLab. Building a DLL file is not necessary to see how your final effect will look.

 

Hey Bolt, does that mean we can change sliders (of UI) to change values in editor dynamically while working in codelab?

 

When running CodeLab, you can press Ctrl+P (File > Preview) to preview your effect including the UI you have designed.

 

During the preview, you can slide around your sliders, change your colorwheel, etc. and you'll see the results immediately just like having your effect installed.

 

HOWEVER,  once you click OK on your effect, it reverts back to how it is in the code editor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

 

When running CodeLab, you can press Ctrl+P (File > Preview) to preview your effect including the UI you have designed.

 

During the preview, you can slide around your sliders, change your colorwheel, etc. and you'll see the results immediately just like having your effect installed.

 

HOWEVER,  once you click OK on your effect, it reverts back to how it is in the code editor.

 

Good , that it reverts back to how it is in the code editor once preview is closed. It would be very annoying if set values changes in editor to anything arbitrary after running previews. 

 

But one can find it useful if there is an seperate option in file menu (or whichever menu indentation option is)  to use functional UI to set or change value  variable in Editor.

Edited by Pratyush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pratyush said:

But one can find it useful if there is an seperate option in file menu (or whichever menu indentation option is)  to use functional UI to set or change value  variable in Editor.

 

Not going to happen.  Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BoltBait said:

But one can find it useful if there is an seperate option in file menu (or whichever menu indentation option is)  to use functional UI to set or change value  variable in Editor.

Let's see, which of these two is faster and easier?

A -  Typing a number into the editor.

B -  Opening the File menu, clicking a menu item, moving a UI control around to adjust a value, clicking OK.

 

I fail to see how one could find option B to be useful. More work and more time consuming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

 

Any chance to add just the DLL?  The installer doesn't work for the Store version.

 

CodeLab is not designed for the store version. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CodeLab 3.2 Released

This is only for Paint.NET 4.0.21+!

 

Tiny update today...

 

Changes:

▪ Fixed a crash in the Preview UI screen and the Preview Effect screen. (toe_head2001)

 

If you tried to preview a UI that contained a Double Vector control [+] it would crash paint.net.  Sorry about that!

 

I found the bug when I was rewriting CodeLab Tutorial #7:

https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/32107-how-to-write-an-effect-plugin-part-7-extra-surface/

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The preview feature is one of the best CodeLab improvements ever! I've long longed for the ability to alter the control values within CodeLab without editing them by hand (and remembering to change them back before saving the source code). CodeLab has improved by leaps and bounds in the last week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MJW said:

CodeLab has improved by leaps and bounds in the last week.

 

Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From here 

On 3/11/2006 at 6:58 AM, Rick Brewster said:

Please note that this is experimental technology and is not meant to provide a robust development environment.

to here.

How far codelab has come. May be someone can review it. 

 

EDIT: *May be someone can review Codelab as a tool 

Edited by Pratyush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Pratyush said:

How far codelab has come. May be someone can review it. 

 

If you want to see how far CodeLab has come, just read this page:

 

http://boltbait.com/pdn/CodeLab/History.asp

 

If you want to see what the first version looked like, there are screenshots of it in the first post of this thread.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Let's see, which of these two is faster and easier?

A -  Typing a number into the editor.

B -  Opening the File menu, clicking a menu item, moving a UI control around to adjust a value, clicking OK.

 

I fail to see how one could find option B to be useful. More work and more time consuming.

 

Yeah. I agree that's stupid. Seriously What was I thinking that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just for sake of history of reporting bugs I am quoting it here. 

14 hours ago, Pratyush said:

Hi @BoltBait @toe_head2001 , I am trying to write a plugin in codelab. When I run the code in Codelab, it works perfectly. but problem is When I try see see preview some error happens.

eOhfKtC.png

 

And I am also not able to build dll. 

23Vm3Qu.png

 

 boltbait's reply.

 

34 minutes ago, BoltBait said:
6 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

in both cases it's failing to compile, because CodeLab is generating UI code for Amount2 and Amount3, but the fields backing that code are commented out.  We'll correct this for future versions of CodeLab.

 

I coded a fix for this.  It will be in the next release of CodeLab.

 

Basically, it will ignore any commented out lines.  If you use the UIBuilder, when you click OK, those lines will be deleted.

 

Edited by Pratyush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CodeLab 3.02 in Russian

 

You can find the new version of CodeLab in Russian here.

Вы можете найти новую версию CodeLab на русском языке здесь.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now