Worst O/S

St.Jim

June 30, 2008 MS plans to start taking OEM (Cheaper because it just the CD's, no box) versions of XP off the market. They will then start doing the same with the box versions. This is in hope of forcing Vista onto the people in order to do better marketing of Vista. MS as you know already said that Vista was a fail and that they would release one service pack before they move on to Windows 7. Windows 7 however has been said to take longer now as they want to insure quality this time. So your looking at 2010 for Windows 7 which will have everything vista has and more with less bugs (hopefully).

As for MS-DOS it is still one of the best OS's. The only down fail is typing I think. Oh and if you don't know DOS commands then you may hate using it. I doing programing and networking and part of the networking side is hardware repair. DOS is very useful for repair. Yet I do wish all DOS commands were on XP (I have the full DOS here next to Windows 3.1). One of the things I install with every XP system I do is the Recovery Console as it will let me do stuff like fix the computer and what not if something goes wrong. It all DOS but it good. If it were not for DOS we would not have OS's like Novell which is a server OS's that lead to MS making there own server OS called Windows Server.

DOS is just one of them OS that you love and hate. It like Unix and Linux you hate them yet love them as what you can do with them over comes the bad things like shell commands.

Microsoft was planning a OS to replace vista before it was even released - this was the same with ME, which was 2000 with a reskin and half hte features took out and replaced with dumbed down versions of programs that could be downloaded for free from the internet, and uncompatibility. It's just pathetic that companies are reluctant to release drivers for their products. It's almost as if they done it on purpose to anoy us, and Microsoft know that if you update to Vista (with at the moment frankly useless drivers and support for earlier windows products) that you will be trapped, as you cannot downgrade (well lets face it - upgrade) to windows XP or mce 2003/5. Sooner or later they are probally going to charge you to downgrade! It's just a complete and utter discrase!

Not all that safe, it is still a whole lot slower than XP no matter how much you disable

That the hardware also got better is no excuse, upgrading hardware just to be able to run an OS is completely ridiculous, and if you don't it'll be slow as heck. And even if you have a computer on which Vista has acceptable performance, XP has an even more acceptable performance on it.

Sure, Vista has many new performance tricks (prioritized IO for example), but they don't hide the fact that the OS is giant bloatware and inherently slower than XP.

Before anyone says my comp is too bad for vista: 4GB ram, 3.3GHz quadcore, 8800GTS 640mb (I used all vista tuning things that I could find and disabled fancy glass etc, performance was still unacceptable)

My bet is that it is not Vista. I have a 2gb based ram laptop that runs it better than XP (But not WinFLP for that matter). And upgrading hardware for an OS is not ridiculous. That is called evolution. I couldnt imagine if higher specs were never required in updates: 28kb of RAM! :shock:

signature.png

By far, the worst operating system to have ever been created is Macintosh OSX. I nearly died using it.

Yeah, it looks pretty until you realize that you can't actually do anything with it.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Actually, that kinda sounds fun...

;-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

My bet is that it is not Vista. I have a 2gb based ram laptop that runs it better than XP (But not WinFLP for that matter). And upgrading hardware for an OS is not ridiculous. That is called evolution. I couldnt imagine if higher specs were never required in updates: 28kb of RAM! :shock:

No no you got me wrong, higher requirements are fine After such hardware exists, but requiring more than 4GB ram to run smoothly (exact amount unknown) a year ago is just plainly ridiculous. There were no such machines. (except servers, but they can not afford to lose it all on the OS)

Also, did you really dualboot XP and Vista for a while on that laptop? If you did, you should have found that XP is a whole lot faster - it just is faster, there is no way around it. In fact, XP is faster with 512MB ram and a single core than vista is with 4GB ram and a quad core..

Point of the story: software (including OS's) should follow hardware, not the other way round

I would write plugins, if I knew what kind of plugins were needed.. :(

If you have 2gb of RAM Vista prefetches things. Also, I have more than just two OSs, I have about 5 installed on this laptop. And while WinFLP (XP Core) is the fastest, I cant give it credit because it is not a public OS. XP Pro on here does not give me the same performance as Vista does after SP1 came out.

And I dont like OSX either, I have iActos on my laptop and I cant stand not being able to right click and eye candy never gets me. For everything Mac OSX offers, my subscription with Cairo will take care of. I cant wait for Cairo. Can not wait.

signature.png

XP also prefetches, although less than Vista. And even with 4GB ram I noticed no improvement. (maybe it'll help if you have 8GB?) It can only help when starting a program anyway, not at actually running it, which is much more important. It may even slow programs since some memory that has been taken up by the prefetcher may have to be freed (let's hope it doesn't get paged out, that would kill the purpose of speeding things up).

The boost is not big. And certainly not 10 times better.

But why are we arguing? I would agree with you that Vista is not the worst OS

It has it's flaws though, the most prominent of which is complete lack of anything resembling acceptable performance.

Wait, one can not argue about facts. Fact: vista is slower than XP. Proven by benchmarks, confirmed by personal experience.

Loading DLL's when necessary isn't good, it's bad even - it will slow down the program while it's running (if all the DLL's are already prefetched it simply wouldn't matter when you'd "load" them) which is worse than having to wait a tiny bit longer while it's loading (unless you're in the habit of starting programs like crazy and completely unloading them when you close them, which is not the default on XP either - though many people wish it was)

1 good thing about vista is its prioritized IO, which does not solve its long boot time, nor does it speed up many programs (except the few IO-bound programs out there, like 7zip)

I'd rather play UT3. Which is not available on Mac.

or you get a mac and then you buy either an xbox360 or ps3 and get a usb mouse and keyboard :D but then oyu cant play against people playing it on pc but you dont have to worry about the gfx card :D

section8.png

psn id: R3V-fiR3