can't remove checkerboard after copy+paste

I am very new to this (started yesterday). I've been reading everything I can on this forum and the help topics, but I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I have one image (image A) that is my background. I have a second image (image B) that I want to paste onto the background. Image B is an item that I have cut out and has the checkerboard in the background. I saved it as a png file, closed it, and reopened it, but the checkerboard is still there. I tried to paste image B onto image A and the checkerboard was pasted along with the image. I then saved image A as a png file, closed it, and reopened it, and the checkerboard was still there. I tried to select layers, but I guess since I saved it, the layers are flattened(?). Somehow I did delete image B but the checkerboard square is still on image A.

Please help!

~Kim

P.S. Once I can do the above, do I have to save, close, and reopen the file each time I paste something onto it in order for the checkerboard to go away?

save your cut out image "b" as a .png file in my pictures

now in paint

open "a" your background.

up at top in layers import from file "b" make sure its a png and not pdn.

or for copy and paste.

I'm almost certaint it is actually impossible to copy and paste the checkerboard pattern. you probably are on the wrong layer when you do your copy in "b" make sure you are on the layer with the cut out if you wish to do it that way.

Thank you so much Oma! That worked great for pasting my image!

Now, I still have the problem of the other separate checkered box that stayed on my image A after all my previous attempts at this. Do you know how I can get rid of it? I can't select it and I didn't insert it as a layer, it was the one I just copied and pasted. I had already saved my image A, so I think it flattened it into one item.

Thank you!

Thank you so much Oma! That worked great for pasting my image!

Now, I still have the problem of the other separate checkered box that stayed on my image A after all my previous attempts at this. Do you know how I can get rid of it? I can't select it and I didn't insert it as a layer, it was the one I just copied and pasted. I had already saved my image A, so I think it flattened it into one item.

Thank you!

do you mean a chekered box is covering up your picture? go over to the right side do you have your layers showing? make sure the one with your A background picture is checked when you flatten it that checkered layer should go away its see thru , transparent, did you read this post http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/en/L ... Modes.html

Rick explains about layers in this one. worth a read thru.

Yes, the checkerboard box is covering up part of my picture. I just undid the last action where I pasted my image B, just so everything would be more clear to me. In my list of layers, the only one there is background and it has a checkmark. Even in the thumbnail the checkered box shows up.

Edit: I did read that section. That's why I did save and close the picture and then reopened it. I just saved and reopened again and the box is still there. I did save it as a png.