Scrapbooking importing image files

I am working on a scrapbook project. Have use Paint.Net for about 3-4 yrs off & on. Mostly for editing purposes. However I decided to try Paint.net for this project of scrapbooking.

I have noticed when adding small icon size files into the layout, Paint.Net slows down considerably. Can not enter text in my original .pdn file. I must save file in another format which flattens the .pdn file. Open my .png file using Paint.Net & enter my text.

I configure my layout to be: 8.50x11, DPI set at 300 as I am dealing with photographys & want them to print great. Then import icons & photos. Photos not very big, 500k-1 meg in size as I am cropping photos. My .pdn file ended up being 35 megs completed, except for the text I later entered in my .png file only.

Below is the finished product shrunken. There is not a lot of graphics to this file. In fact the photos were taken off a cell phone so you know they were not big to start with.

14076_b84ab212acd8233237d48e11c46fa7e3

I'm sorry...I don't quite understand what your question is. Could you try being a bit more specific?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Is Paint.net suppose to slow down when importing small icon size files?

Text can not be entered unless I edit .png file thru Paint.Net. This sounds like a bug problems.

Why does Paint.Net make such large output files? My icons & photo files were not very big yet I ended up with a 35 meg file.

Is it normal when importing small image files to create a huge output file in Paint.Net?

How big are these files?

EDIT: I need to be more specific. What pixel size? And what file format?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

1 background file....300 dpi....png format.....size: 1 meg

3 photo frames......200 dpi....png format.....size: < 200k each

3 photos..............100 dpi.....jpg format.....size: < 200k each

3 icons................100 dpi.....jpg format.....size: 2 megs for all 3

Grand total of imported files: < 4-5 megs total

Page setup:

size: 11 x 13 sheet of paper. Alittle bigger than letter size as I wanted a white border when printing.

DPI: 300 to preserve clarity.

Paint.net .pdn output file size: 35 megs. Paint.Net acts as tho graphic files are .bmp files. My final Paint.Net should not be 4 times larger than what I imported in my humble opinion.

My computer specs:

I am running a P4

CPU: 3200+

Ram: 1 gig

HDrv Space: 500 gigs (What can I say, I like graphics.)

Pc is running fine & I just ran scandisk & defrag the day before I started this project. I have anti-virus pgm, delete cookies etc. I take care of maintenance. I know when dealing with graphics, not to run any other pgms in the background. Graphic cost me in RAM, TIME & MONEY!

Paint.Net is running extremely slow when importing small graphic icon size files. The more individual graphics I import into layout, the slower it gets. I must save file in another format, I prefer .png, thi8s flattens the .pdn file, then open/edit the .png file. Not use my original .pdn file so I can make additional changes. Can not enter text as that was the last thing I wanted to do with this file attachment you see above. Moving the different graphics that were imported, is extremely hard at times as it takes forever to move one thing that is out of place.

Is stretching a image file on a page, is it difficult for Paint.Net to understand? Icons & background were not stretched.

Did I answer all of your questions David? You seem to have woken up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, referring to your email to me. Re-read Rick's board rules....

You get more bees with honey......

I believe I know the rules a bit better than you do, having been around when many of them were written. :-) I'm sorry if my PM sounded curt, but rest assured that it was anything but. I have been quite chipper all day, so your comment somewhat blindsided me. I re-read it, and I must confess that I don't understand what you felt was offensive.

In regard to your question: Each new layer, no matter how small the image on it, will add a LOT of memory requirement to an 8.5x11 document at 300dpi. See, even though the pixels are transparent, they still carry information, and thus cost system resources. Your speed troubles seem normal to me; your image is quite large. :-)

Hope this helps. :-)

Maybe post the "slow" PDN file so we can see if the samething will happen on other people's system?

Also, did you try to save as PDN file then reopen the same file and see if it's still slowing down?

Yeah and this too...

Each new layer, no matter how small the image on it, will add a LOT of memory requirement to an 8.5x11 document at 300dpi. See, even though the pixels are transparent, they still carry information, and thus cost system resources. Your speed troubles seem normal to me; your image is quite large. :-)

Hope this helps. :-)

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

Both files I created in last 2 days are huge in file size....35 megs each. Two files, two pages. Not so sure your board can take that big of a upload. As I am on dialup where I am as there is no fast internet service here, it would take more than a day to upload files.

Paint.Net did not freeze up on me that much unless I wanted to move a layer. More layers, the slower it got I found. One page only has about 10 layers. I imported 3-4 layers then saved in .png format not .pdn (altho I can recreate the .pdn). Then with the .png & as there was nothing but one layer & no history (remember reading afew years ago, there was a problem with history) I imported afew more layers, saved in .png & repeated my process until I got almost all of it done.

Entering text thru Paint.Net did not work so I created a separate file using Paint.Net with my text in file, used Irfan's graphic viewer to make background transparent. Opened my original .png file, imported the text graphic file that was transparent & put text where I wanted.

I worked around all the problems, my way. May not be the correct way but I had too many problems with Paint.Net. Nothing I could not handle, figure out or work around.

Them layers are a problem. I remember in old Dos days....well that is another story.

Saving in .pdn format was a problem once but only once. I realize the layers were the problem, sucking up my ram & I have plenty on my system. Shut down system for several minutes, 10, just to clear all memory problems. Had to start over several times with my layout but got wiser the more things happened & saved every change I made as a different file name.

At this time, my finished product, printable .png file is 12-13 megs each. DPI is 300. Frame size: 3300 x 4000

I will upload a sample of the layout however I doubt you guys will like it. It did take me two days to get it done. It was a challenge.

Paint.Net acted as tho I was importing .bmp files. Very heavy, very slow.

Details guys, you want details? I will give you details, details, details....... Who know, somebody might learn something here.

14076_c5ce92a93fef717a907d67e10dacfa76

If you want an answer, we're going to need details. I don't know why you're so frustrated by this...

I still maintain that this is normal. Your images are HUGE. 2550x3300 pixels, ten layers? It makes sense to me. I have speed issues at 1280x800 with a few layers.

Someone might refute me, but it makes a lot of sense to me...