Quick view of RGB values

mattytr

I would really appreciate a feature to see in the status bar (e.g. near the mouse coordinates) the RGB value of the pixel under the mouse pointer. This is possible in other programs like Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo. In Paint.NET the only way I have found it to use the color picker, click on the pixel and check the values in the extended view of the color box (this also implies that the color picked is the new default color, which usually is not what I want).

Here's the problem: There are really 2 colors that could be shown...

Would you like to see the RGB value of the pixel on the current layer?

Or, would you like to see the RGB of the fully combined resulting pixel (as if the image was flattened at that moment)?

If the first, what if the layer is marked to be not visible? What should be shown then?

If the blending mode is not "normal" how would you want to handle that? The pixel shown may not have the same RGB value as the source pixel.

You see, this could be quite confusing.

If you want the RGB of the color you see, use the color selector, and select it, then it will show up as your primary color, then by pressing "more>>" you can view the RGB or the HSV, or the HEX#

Otherwise, like BoltBait said, it's going to be difficult to implement

• 1 month later...
If you want the RGB of the color you see, use the color selector, and select it, then it will show up as your primary color, then by pressing "more>>" you can view the RGB or the HSV, or the HEX#

Well, this is exactly what I want... but without having to multi-click on color selector, color and "more>>".

Personally, I use Paint.NET (and I love it) more as a replacement for MS Paint than for a replacement of Photoshop, so I usually have just one layer and I need to do some "fast" editing, like resize, crop, save as and analyze colors. I don't think it should be difficult to implement this feature, since it is actually already implemented, but a bit hidden and cumbersome.

Here's the problem: There are really 2 colors that could be shown...

Would you like to see the RGB value of the pixel on the current layer?

Or, would you like to see the RGB of the fully combined resulting pixel (as if the image was flattened at that moment)?

You see, this could be quite confusing.

The pixel in the current layer, cause if the image is not flattened it means that it might be subject to be worked upon (or to be saved but that ends it all and would kill the purpous of this :D).

If the first, what if the layer is marked to be not visible? What should be shown then?

If the blending mode is not "normal" how would you want to handle that? The pixel shown may not have the same RGB value as the source pixel.

If not visible then either show the layer below, or if none exists set everything to zero, or a string like 'No layer available'

The blend mode as nothing to do with it. Blending is how layers have their pixels interacting between each other, but when you see a certain pixel it has specific RGBA values, and those values are the ones that will say the result of the blend mode. So you would see the RGBA values as if the blend mode is normal.

So yeah this would be a great thing to implement :D

• 1 year later...

This would be a great and useful feature. Just show the pixel value that *would* be entered into the color picker if you chose the color pick tool and clicked, but have it always update.

I use Paint.NET for image analysis and testing, and knowing what colors are in an image is really important!