White background coming back.

flynch01

I'm going crazy. I pasted a image into paint.net. And cut all the white out of it so i just had the character cut out. Now I want to copy and paste this into a new tab thing, but when i do... suddenly all the white comes back. Even if i copy paste it in the same window i edited it, the white comes back. I don't get whats going on D:

@Mike - Please read more carefully. He is within PdN. That answer does not apply.

Have you deleted the background? Can you write out exactly what steps you're taking? Are you saving it?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Ok. I have the background layer. I made it green so i could easily see. I then pasted a photo of a character with a white background around it. I used this method:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4841&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

To cut out the character. Then i used the feather to make the characters edges a bit smoother. Afterwards I removed the background so all I have it a character on a transparant background. I make a new panel, but its the size a sig would normally be. I paste the character (which should now be cut out) and suddenly theres a white background again. I searched the forums after you said that mike. I didn't find anything =\

Edit: I forgot to say, theres a background layer, the character is on a new layer. Then the lines is on a third layer.

Cut Lines

Character

Green Background

Another edit: I deleted the cut lines after I finished, which wasn't smart because I could've just reselected the inside and copied that. I don't understand what i'm going to do now :(

Try saving the original as a .PNG file, and insert it as a new layer in the new file. See if that works. I don't mean it to be permanent, I'm just hoping to further diagnose.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

I wasn't sure how you are to insert it in. So I just dragged the .png from the folder onto the paint.net workspace. It inserted it into a new layer and it DID infact bring it in without the crappy white background. One step further :D BUT! It resizes the screen to fit it, which... defeats the object of putting it inside a smaller canvas :(

Image > Resize or Image > Canvas Size. ;-)

And another problem rofl. When I resize the canvas, it cuts everything from the png i've inserted that isn't inside the section the canvas size will become. And the only way I can think of preserving the image from being sliced is to copy it, and paste it back after changing the canvas size. This is... challenging for such a simple tast :(

You can also choose the Rectangle Select tool, change the mode to "Fixed Size," set it to the height and width you want, and then select the area you want. Then hit Ctrl+Shift+X to crop to the selection. :-)

Thats not the issue, its that the character gets cut when i resize the canvas. And no matter how i select it, it still gets cut. Unless I misunderstood what you meant

If you use Image>Resize, the image will be shrunk to fit.

I dont want it to be shrunk to fit though. I want to move it around till i have the right ammount of the character in the view, and in the position I want. Like, the head and shoulders.

But... I don't want to shrink it. It's like if you copy and paste an image in. It asks you to resize the clipboard. If you say no, you can drag the image around so that only some of it is shown. I want to do that. But with this image, but importing the image instantly resizes the canvas you aren't given the option.

With my select and ctrl+shift+x method, you can drag the selection around until the correct area is selected.

Thats what i'm saying though. Heres what happens.

Canvas size is 850 x 250. I drag the image onto the clipboard. It is resized to 850 x 1000. So I use your ctrl+shift+x to crop the clipboard, suddenly the only thing left of my character is a few inches of head, and when i drag it around. Theres no body, its just the cap of the head.

Drag it around first. Then Ctrl+Shift+X.

Thats not going to work, I want to rotate, edit, remove.. Do some proper editing on the image. Comeon this is... simple stuff this can't POSSIBLY be such a job to copy and paste an image without a background?

It should work the way you tried originally. From what you've said, it should be perfectly fine. I don't understand why it's not.

I'm trying to give you workarounds and to help you understand what you may me doing wrong, if anything.

I know what you mean. But the image isn't the problem now. Infact, if you want to reconstruct it.

Create a canvas 500 x 600. Put an image that fills that, doesn't matter what. Then resize the canvas to 500x200. Notice how the image you put in there has been sliced. I just want to preserve the image. It would work if I copy paste, but when I copy paste the white background comes in again.

Ah. That particular functionality isn't in Paint.NET, I'm sorry. Never has been.

EDIT: Try this.

Choose the rectangular selection. Change the mode to Fixed Ratio. Set that to 500x150. Drag the box to surrond what you want surrounded. Ctrl+Shift+X. Then use Image > Resize to resize it down to 500x150 pixels. This will allow you to select an area of any size.

it just distorts the image. i'm actually shocked that such a basic function isn't included. Neither copying a image with its background intact, nor resizing the canvas without slicing all the images in it.

Edit: WOW, Found it. How strange. Bug maybe? If I select the image with ctrl+a (only one layer.) and paste it it gets the white background. but if I manually select and paste it, the transparant background is preserved. Strange...

Edit 2: No thats not true, infact. If I copy a small ammount over. The transparancy is preserved. If I copy a larged ammount, it doesn't Why is taht?