Making an image transparent

I have had a look through the tutorials and cannot find what i'm looking for. (I apologise if it is there)

Can some one point me in the right direction, or explain how i do this please.

How do you make 2 images transparent then place one on top of the other? (to be used as a still frame for an animated avatar)

Thanks

Mia

you can't do animations on this except if you are making a cursor. However, you can get unfreez and you can make animated photos. The pictures have to be in gif. format first though.

sig.jpg

~97% of teens won't stand up for Anything. Put this on your sig if you're one of the 3% who've fallen down trying.

Oh, and there's 3 types of people in this world...

Use layers... put one image on one layer, the other image on another layer, and then adjust the "Opacity" in the layer properties until you have the amount of transparency you want.

You should also play with the blending mode in the layer properties... you can get some interesting effects that way too. It is not transparency, but it is pretty interesting stuff.

Total hack.

You want to cut something out of one and place it on a background? Do a http://searchpaint.net search for "Cutting out images the easy way." See if this helps you out. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Can you post an example of what you want to do? It's not making sense to me.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I know what she wants.

Import the two files into a new page. Increase your screen so you can see what your doing. Line the 2 files up so they will match & look as one, side by side.

Save file in .png or .gif format.

Now open your .png or gif file up. Use eraser icon to erase unwanted background you want to be transparent.

Save again in .png or .gif format.

Waalaa... your images are as one file with a transparent background.

Example: If your background is say all white, no pattern to in the background, you can use Irfan viewer as he has a feature to make background transparent. However you will still need to edit the file. Best to merge files into one file. Try Irfan's graphic viewer. He is every were.

The key is to saving file in either .gif .or .png format. These are the only 2 common formats that support tranparency's with the exception's PhotoShop (.psd) that I know of.

Hope this helps....