Not enough memory to load image

Been using Paint.net for quite a while now, but I want to edit a very high resolution scanned photograph to remove scratches, minor dirt and imperfections and i am now getting the error Not enough memory to load the image

I have 4GB of memory, plus I use a page file of 8GB

I'll admit that the scanned file is a rather large 180MB TIFF image, with the scanned details of 1200dpi with 9600x12000 pixels at 24bit

Am I asking too much, and should scan at 600DPI as that opens fine ......

Just for future, is the out of memory error related to the system just hasn't got the available resources or is it related to the softwares memory limits

thanks

Just tried loading the same image into PhotoShop CS3 Extended, it loads in fine

This belongs in Troubleshooting.

Moved

Also, please read the sticky'd post in this forum about your error. See if that helps. Thanks!

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.