Paint.NET Internet Browser Discussion

Which web browser is most likely to create the next revolutionary feature for web browsing?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which web browser is most likely to create the next revolutionary feature for web browsing?

• Mozilla/ Firefox
    • Apple Safari
    • Opera
    • Internet Explorer
    • Unkown Party
    • Dont care

Anyone else having trouble with the latest Firefox update (3.0.8)? It's been crashing much more often than usual for me.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

David, I'm using 3.0.1 and don't recall a crash, ever. What version were you referring to?

Oh yeah, the specs: XP Home with SP3, 1.5GB. On dial-up :(

Ugh, sorry. It turned. the 8) into a smiley.

But, yeah. 3.0.8.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

Anyone else having trouble with the latest Firefox update (3.0.8)? It's been crashing much more often than usual for me.

It never crashes for me, but it does freeze up fairly often for about 10-30 seconds, most often when opening a new tab or switching tabs.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Mine seems to have no reproducible reason, though...

Perhaps an add-on is at fault? I recall getting a lot of crashes with video-downloader-type extensions in particular. You know, the ones that are for ripping FLVs off of YouTube.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Perhaps an add-on is at fault? I recall getting a lot of crashes with video-downloader-type extensions in particular. You know, the ones that are for ripping FLVs off of YouTube.

^Have to love YouTube Downloader instead of an add-on.

@david.atwell: I just downloaded it, and as of yet with no add-ons it's working fine for me :)

Changed the text in the signature yay!

PDN gallery!

If you want video downloads on the fly, including YouTube, install Real Player 11 (my least preferred player) which installs a tool that places a button atop all videos whilst browsing the Web, allowing for download in FLV format in the video's original state - not that compressed matter some do. The button is only visible when you hover your cursor over the video, so no worries about ugly obtrusions.

The latest version works with the latest stable Firefox (despite claims, it didn't work with previous 3.x versions) and IE7/8, yet not Chrome. I'm not sure about Opera, I don't have that installed.

I've used it on Facebook, Metacafe, Vimeo, amongst others.

----

More browser related:

Firefox 3.1/3.5b3 doesn't seem as fast as 3.0.8. Not cool.

Do you know what I would like Firefox to do to improve start-up times? I have FF retain my previous session for the next, but when cold starting, FF attempts to load all my tabs in one go. Now, if Firefox is so speedy at loading pages, it would in fact be quicker to load each tab consecutively. I've tested it because I am that sad dedicated.

----

There we are, I haven't posted in The Alfredo for a while, that's my quota fulfilled for now.

I've noticed this. It's very frustrating, especially when watching videos online.

Ugh. Well, here's hoping 3.1.1 gets better.

Can't believe I'm considering abandoning FF for IE... :shock:

Because, honestly, I think IE8 is better than both.

Ach, IE8 makes me convulse. I love Chrome! The tab features are unmatched, I believe. It's really handy (I have 2 widescreen monitors) to drag a video opened in a new tab into a new window altogether by dragging and not disrupting anything. In IE8, you have to Ctrl+N and make a new window with it in it, starting the video from the beginning. And Facebook works best for me in Chrome!

Changed the text in the signature yay!

PDN gallery!

I still can't get used to Chrome. Still not as good as Firefox.

Weird...

I basically just let Firefox do its own thing as far as updates are concerned, so I didn't even know what version I was running until I heard about your difficulties. I'm running 3.0.8 as well, and I've only crashed once, and that was while running an embedded Java app - I was bored one day and logged into my Runescape account, and Firefox crashed, though when I restarted and logged in again it ran fine.

So, I really don't know why you're having so much trouble, other than possible add-on conflicts.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

It typically happens when running Java or Flash stuff, but sometimes it's just random. Case in point: it crashed not 30 seconds ago on me, what was I doing? Browsing this forum.

Okay, CSz, you and I are going to get to the bottom of this. What add-ons do you have?

My list:

1-ClickWeather 1.1.8

Adblock Plus 1.0.1

Adobe DLM 1.5.2.35 (I don't know what that is...)

ChaCha Guide App Toolbar 1.2

Color Management 0.4

ColorZilla 1.9

Cooliris 1.9.1

FoxyTunes 3.0.4

HTML Validator 0.8.5.2

IE Tab 1.5.20090207

Java Quick Starter 1.0

Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant 1.0

Skype Extension for Firefox 2.2.0.102

Stylish 0.5.9

Tab Mix Plus 0.3.7.3

TargetKiller 0.5

Web Developer 1.1.6

Any coinciding with yours?

• 1 month later...

I find that Chrome loads faster than both IE and Firefox and I am a longtime Firefox user. I have tons of add-ons and still use it for a number of things. For webmail and forums, I like Chrome best. It also does very well on downloads. The newest version should be out soon and it will run Java apps faster. One of my websites is mostly Java and it runs great on Chrome, so I'm looking forward to the next release to see if it really does run faster. I have to admit I was pretty apprehensive about using it until a friend told me to give it a try. Now I love it.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

I think that IE ist the most non-convenient browser to use. :evil:

In fact, as i started to use internet, I changed it by Maxthon. It was just better, blocking pop-up's and using tabs instead of windows and the greatest usefull fonction : hiding automatically favorites. :)

Now I use only Firefox (v 3.1.0), because maxthon did not progress enough.

I added 20 extensions, just to get it perfect.

But i tried quite all the other browers we can find before : Opera, Safari, Netscape and even Chrome, without feeling good with any of them.

20 bloody extensions!

I actually removed a couple of details off the default Opera config since I don't use panels and such.

I am honestly totally sold-out to Opera, I think it's the most innovative browser, and of course it's a little hard to get used to it at very first, but once you know it well enough (a couple of days at most), mouse gestures, speed dial, the developper tools (which work FAR better than on any other browser), everything is wonderful. And since they are built-in, I find they behave better than most firefox extensions. The only problem with Opera is that not every website is decently coded, and I do happen, although rarely, to have a small display bug, or imageshack not loading the image the first time I click. But that's what

browsers.jpg

is there for. I know not of many browsers that care more about the actual quality than retaining all it's own features à-la-microsoft.

And I also like chrome, although more for it's slimness than it's usefulness and features. It's bars are great, but not handy. and I miss Dial-Up VERY much, since I hate it to display my most visited. It's already horrible enough google caches it all. But it's still faster than firefox or IE.

That said,

browsers.jpg

[first one = Opera Alpha 10, it's already great and it's still early]

in that order, too.

WW3tz.jpg

"Ah, i love it when huge pineapples try to take over the world, it makes me sentimental :')"

-Stephan

20 bloody extensions!

I actually removed a couple of details off the default Opera config since I don't use panels and such.

I am honestly totally sold-out to Opera, I think it's the most innovative browser, and of course it's a little hard to get used to it at very first, but once you know it well enough (a couple of days at most), mouse gestures, speed dial, the developper tools (which work FAR better than on any other browser), everything is wonderful. And since they are built-in, I find they behave better than most firefox extensions. The only problem with Opera is that not every website is decently coded, and I do happen, although rarely, to have a small display bug, or imageshack not loading the image the first time I click. But that's what

browsers.jpg

is there for. I know not of many browsers that care more about the actual quality than retaining all it's own features à-la-microsoft.

And I also like chrome, although more for it's slimness than it's usefulness and features. It's bars are great, but not handy. and I miss Dial-Up VERY much, since I hate it to display my most visited. It's already horrible enough google caches it all. But it's still faster than firefox or IE.

That said,

browsers.jpg

[first one = Opera Alpha 10, it's already great and it's still early]

in that order, too.

WW3tz.jpg

"Ah, i love it when huge pineapples try to take over the world, it makes me sentimental :')"

-Stephan