Paint.NET Internet Browser Discussion

Which web browser is most likely to create the next revolutionary feature for web browsing?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which web browser is most likely to create the next revolutionary feature for web browsing?

• Mozilla/ Firefox
    • Apple Safari
    • Opera
    • Internet Explorer
    • Unkown Party
    • Dont care

Yes, it is a counter war. But hopefully from it others can realize both sides of the browsers, without it being biased.

For instance, you can add new Useragents and modify existing ones. It is more than possible in Opera to add a PSP Browser useragent, and even add a button anywhere in the UI to enable to disable it as the default.

However, for me Opera satisfies I everything I need to do, and if I don't have it usually there are other ways of achieving similar functionality. Opera allows for a very clean, motion based control scheme in which my UI literally consists of a drop down arrow, and address bar, and tabs without a visible way to close them.

When I look at the new features for v3.5 of Firefox, questions regarding more fluid keyboard navigation, built in mouse gestures, even better session management features, and other miscellaneous things come to my mind. Those are things I couldn't browse without, and in my opinion it is crazy that I should look towards the community of the project instead of right into the developers face for these types of features that I feel are browser staples.

That is why I use Paint.NET. I can get 95% of my work done without extra plugins, because Paint.NET is, in my idea of things, properly tailored for new and lightweight graphic artists.

signature.png

Yes, it is a counter war. But hopefully from it others can realize both sides of the browsers, without it being biased.

For instance, you can add new Useragents and modify existing ones. It is more than possible in Opera to add a PSP Browser useragent, and even add a button anywhere in the UI to enable to disable it as the default.

However, for me Opera satisfies I everything I need to do, and if I don't have it usually there are other ways of achieving similar functionality. Opera allows for a very clean, motion based control scheme in which my UI literally consists of a drop down arrow, and address bar, and tabs without a visible way to close them.

When I look at the new features for v3.5 of Firefox, questions regarding more fluid keyboard navigation, built in mouse gestures, even better session management features, and other miscellaneous things come to my mind. Those are things I couldn't browse without, and in my opinion it is crazy that I should look towards the community of the project instead of right into the developers face for these types of features that I feel are browser staples.

That is why I use Paint.NET. I can get 95% of my work done without extra plugins, because Paint.NET is, in my idea of things, properly tailored for new and lightweight graphic artists.

signature.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Mike Ryan, did you forget your morning coffee or something? Because your post earlier today was ridden with typos.

You wrote:

It feels so good to be running the fastest and most secure browser available. :) (Opera 10.6)

Whereas the correct spelling would be:

It feels so good to be running the fastest and most secure browser available. :) (Chrome 6.0.453.1)

Anyone d-loaded the FF4 beta? Impressed?

Edited by csm725

@csm725: Here are some results pulled from this link: http://www.dailytech.com/Opera+106+The+Worlds+Fastest+Stable+Browser+Tested+vs+IE+9/article18909.htm

SunSpider Benchmark

1. Opera 10.5 353.4ms +/- 1.1%

2. Chrome 6.0.408.1 489.6ms +/- 3.9%

3. Opera 10.6 517.4ms +/- 5.7%

4. Safari 5.0 (7553.16) 600.4ms +/- 1.1%

5. Chrome 5.0.375.86 635.0ms +/- 3.6%

6. Internet Explorer 9 807.4ms +/- 12.1%

(Trial Build 3)

7. FireFox 3.6.4 1396.6ms +/- 14.6%

8. Internet Explorer 8 7228.8ms +/- 9.7%

JSBenchmark (by Celtic Kane)

1. Chrome 5 459 ± 0

2. Opera 10.6 387 ± 0

3. Chrome 6.0.408.1 355 ± 0

4. Safari 5.0 (7553.16) 252 ± 0

5. Opera 10.5 211 ± 0

6. Internet Explorer 9 177 ± 0

(Trial Build 3)

7. FireFox 3.6.4 100 ± 0

8. Internet Explorer 8 59 ± 15

Futuremark Peacekeeper Benchmark

1. Opera 10.6 5244 Points

2. Chrome 6.0.408.1 5162 Points

3. Chrome 5.0.375.86 4897 Points

4. Opera 10.5 3323 Points

5. Safari 5.0 (7553.16) 2606 Points

6. Firefox 3.6.4 1939 Points

7 Internet Explorer 9 1919 Points

(Trial Build 3)

8. Internet Explorer 8 829 Points

Currently, Opera is the fastest web browser out of all gold release browsers (not developer builds). I have no doubt Chrome will catch up, but early FF4 beta benchmarks don't look promising in topping the mountain. The article makes an interesting point in that IE9 is starting to out-benchmark stable Firefox builds. This is good news to my ear as I have a lot of faith and hope rested in IE9. As well, my safety statement is derived from the fact that Opera is now using AVG technology to protect against fraud and phishing.

@Frontcannon: Are you calling me a troll?

signature.png

Well I use and love Chrome 6.0.453.1 - it's fast and minimal. Perfect. Plus, I think IE9 has quite some promise. I still won't use it, but it will not be a IE6 case.

I agree with CSM, Chrome is great.

25hid7p.jpg

• 2 years later...