Paint.NET Internet Browser Discussion

Which web browser is most likely to create the next revolutionary feature for web browsing?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which web browser is most likely to create the next revolutionary feature for web browsing?

• Mozilla/ Firefox
    • Apple Safari
    • Opera
    • Internet Explorer
    • Unkown Party
    • Dont care

^

You're a zealot, you know that. You're at a 10 when you need to be at a 2. :P

For one thing, the article doesn't actually say "groundbreaking", just that they are new to Firefox, and are the reasons why Firefox users should be excited about this new version.

10. Undo closing tabs. Wait, this is a new feature for Firefox? Why haven't they had this before? Opera's managing of closed tabs, from what I can tell, is still more advanced than this 'new' feature of the fox's and Opera has had it since the beginning of the v9.0 releases, if not earlier.

Firefox has had a "Recently Closed Tabs" list for a long time, as well as a [Ctrl]+[shift]+[T] shortcut to reopen the last closed tabs in reverse order of their closing. The feature being touted in that bullet is the undo closed window, which restores an entire separate window of tabs. The author here is either stupid or isn't presenting himself clearly, because Tab Mix Plus hasn't been required for quite a while.

9. Tab tearing. This really made me angry. "Google Chrome somewhat stole the thunder out from under this feature." And Google Chrome was taking basic functionality of Opera and including it. Again, Opera has had it since the beginning of the v9.0 releases, if not earlier.

This one is a valid complaint, but I'm guessing it's just because Chrome is more popular, despite its youth, as the browser share stats for last month show.

8. Keyword AwesomeBar. Again, same scenario as the above two. Opera has had this, why is it all of the sudden new and groundbreaking?!

I don't use Opera enough to know, and the Opera Help shines no light on the subject - does Opera in fact have filtering like this? They're not talking about full text history search - they copied that for version 3.0 - they're talking about filtering the search to a specific section via character - similar to Google's site:, not:, et cetera. So if I'm looking for my Gunnerkrigg Court bookmark, I can type "gun *" and not get any of the History results from the black market sites I was using to look at guns... >_>

7. Smart Session restore. WTF?! Why are these new and groundbreaking features? I don't mind if you say "Awesome, Firefox is now getting these features!" Smart crash recovery and the saving of sessions has been an Opera staple.

Again, no one said groundbreaking. Firefox has had basic session preservation support for Crash Recovery and browser restarts, and this is an enhancement to that. Firefox at present doesn't have a "Save Session" feature per sé, but you could "Bookmark All Tabs" to a folder or Taboo all open tabs if you needed to save a group for something.

6. Opera, to my knowledge, doesn't have a private browsing mode. Which is why I s'pose now the author is giving credit to other web browsers for this feature. :roll:

That's the way things go - someone else's cool feature yesterday is everyone's standard feature today. The good ideas get spread around, which forces continued innovation. You can cry "copycat" all you want, but it's an industry staple.

For example: the Opera 10 Beta page touts the addition of inline spell checking, something Firefox users have had since 2006 - IE8 has it, Safari 4 has it, even Chrome has it. No one's crying thief, it's just the way things go - useful features get spread around, not because everyone is creatively bankrupt and only looks to each other for what they've got, but simply because they're useful.

Seriously man, crying foul whenever anyone even hints at not giving Opera credit for something? I think you're a fanboy. You should have that looked at. :P

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

^

You're a zealot, you know that. You're at a 10 when you need to be at a 2. :P

For one thing, the article doesn't actually say "groundbreaking", just that they are new to Firefox, and are the reasons why Firefox users should be excited about this new version.

10. Undo closing tabs. Wait, this is a new feature for Firefox? Why haven't they had this before? Opera's managing of closed tabs, from what I can tell, is still more advanced than this 'new' feature of the fox's and Opera has had it since the beginning of the v9.0 releases, if not earlier.

Firefox has had a "Recently Closed Tabs" list for a long time, as well as a [Ctrl]+[shift]+[T] shortcut to reopen the last closed tabs in reverse order of their closing. The feature being touted in that bullet is the undo closed window, which restores an entire separate window of tabs. The author here is either stupid or isn't presenting himself clearly, because Tab Mix Plus hasn't been required for quite a while.

9. Tab tearing. This really made me angry. "Google Chrome somewhat stole the thunder out from under this feature." And Google Chrome was taking basic functionality of Opera and including it. Again, Opera has had it since the beginning of the v9.0 releases, if not earlier.

This one is a valid complaint, but I'm guessing it's just because Chrome is more popular, despite its youth, as the browser share stats for last month show.

8. Keyword AwesomeBar. Again, same scenario as the above two. Opera has had this, why is it all of the sudden new and groundbreaking?!

I don't use Opera enough to know, and the Opera Help shines no light on the subject - does Opera in fact have filtering like this? They're not talking about full text history search - they copied that for version 3.0 - they're talking about filtering the search to a specific section via character - similar to Google's site:, not:, et cetera. So if I'm looking for my Gunnerkrigg Court bookmark, I can type "gun *" and not get any of the History results from the black market sites I was using to look at guns... >_>

7. Smart Session restore. WTF?! Why are these new and groundbreaking features? I don't mind if you say "Awesome, Firefox is now getting these features!" Smart crash recovery and the saving of sessions has been an Opera staple.

Again, no one said groundbreaking. Firefox has had basic session preservation support for Crash Recovery and browser restarts, and this is an enhancement to that. Firefox at present doesn't have a "Save Session" feature per sé, but you could "Bookmark All Tabs" to a folder or Taboo all open tabs if you needed to save a group for something.

6. Opera, to my knowledge, doesn't have a private browsing mode. Which is why I s'pose now the author is giving credit to other web browsers for this feature. :roll:

That's the way things go - someone else's cool feature yesterday is everyone's standard feature today. The good ideas get spread around, which forces continued innovation. You can cry "copycat" all you want, but it's an industry staple.

For example: the Opera 10 Beta page touts the addition of inline spell checking, something Firefox users have had since 2006 - IE8 has it, Safari 4 has it, even Chrome has it. No one's crying thief, it's just the way things go - useful features get spread around, not because everyone is creatively bankrupt and only looks to each other for what they've got, but simply because they're useful.

Seriously man, crying foul whenever anyone even hints at not giving Opera credit for something? I think you're a fanboy. You should have that looked at. :P

~ Becoming the Archetype

Really, I am not getting onto Firefox. I am happy the browser is getting the features, and I still almost always have Firefox open. It is Kevin Purdy's optimism and stretching of small things in all five of his Lifehacker articles that get me on edge. He turned a two quote Debunking of Traffic Ticket Myths into a waste of my Feedreader, blew out of proportion new features to VirtualBox v3.0. I mean, I could go on a tantrum about those articles, just not here. Defending Firefox isn't doing anything for you, because I am not here to try and tackle it. I just feel that if you are going to publish articles for a higher end tech / lifestyles blog, please do research and don't stretch. It is his overall tone until about points 1-5, and frankly even then he is not publishing as much useful content as Mozilla's own blog.

Seriously man, crying foul whenever anyone even hints at trashing Firefox? I think you're a fanboy. You should have that looked at. :P

signature.png

Really, I am not getting onto Firefox. I am happy the browser is getting the features, and I still almost always have Firefox open. It is Kevin Purdy's optimism and stretching of small things in all five of his Lifehacker articles that get me on edge. He turned a two quote Debunking of Traffic Ticket Myths into a waste of my Feedreader, blew out of proportion new features to VirtualBox v3.0. I mean, I could go on a tantrum about those articles, just not here. Defending Firefox isn't doing anything for you, because I am not here to try and tackle it. I just feel that if you are going to publish articles for a higher end tech / lifestyles blog, please do research and don't stretch. It is his overall tone until about points 1-5, and frankly even then he is not publishing as much useful content as Mozilla's own blog.

Seriously man, crying foul whenever anyone even hints at trashing Firefox? I think you're a fanboy. You should have that looked at. :P

signature.png

No, I don't care if you trash Firefox. There are legitimate complaints against the browser: its seemingly incurable memory leakage - which the Firefox people have claimed to have fixed - that makes my RAM usage almost double after long periods of use; its lack of tab isolation - which I know both Chrome and IE8 have - which can cause the whole browser to crash thanks to one page; its extremely meager RSS support without the help of addons - I'm not saying those addons should be usurped, but it'd be nice if those who don't know about addons would have a better base experience.

It's your escalation of Purdy's "check out this awesome feature" to "check out this groundbreaking feature" that I was rebutting. ;)

~ Becoming the Archetype

No, I don't care if you trash Firefox. There are legitimate complaints against the browser: its seemingly incurable memory leakage - which the Firefox people have claimed to have fixed - that makes my RAM usage almost double after long periods of use; its lack of tab isolation - which I know both Chrome and IE8 have - which can cause the whole browser to crash thanks to one page; its extremely meager RSS support without the help of addons - I'm not saying those addons should be usurped, but it'd be nice if those who don't know about addons would have a better base experience.

It's your escalation of Purdy's "check out this awesome feature" to "check out this groundbreaking feature" that I was rebutting. ;)

~ Becoming the Archetype

^ How are those ads working out for you? :P
Quite well when using the Developer Channel (with pre-release plugin support) and AdSweep.

;)

... although there doesn't seem to be a Home button :?
Proceed to the Options dialog under the spanner icon, then on the Basics tab you see a checkbox in the Homepage sub-heading.
^ How are those ads working out for you? :P
Quite well when using the Developer Channel (with pre-release plugin support) and AdSweep.

;)

... although there doesn't seem to be a Home button :?
Proceed to the Options dialog under the spanner icon, then on the Basics tab you see a checkbox in the Homepage sub-heading.

Also, Dan, I have been working on this list for sometime now. You provided me with Firefox extensions that you couldn't go without, so here is how to have them in opera:

1. ColorZilla - Besides the default Zoom tools in Opera, here is a great widget that is praised for similar functionality: http://widgets.opera.com/widget/4138/

2. FoxyTunes - I couldn't find anything that provided as much depth and features as FoxyTunes, however the default Media Player with Opera Unite should at least allow you to play and stream tunes, which is better than nothing.

3. YouTube Video Downloader - Here is a greasemonkey script, which is compatible with Opera: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifeha ... cript.html

4. Faviconize - This one took some research and I have no link to show for it, but there are a few lines in your skin.ini file that you modify to remove the text completely.

5. No solution, I tried.

6. I am sorry for being a noob to this, but I didn't quite understand the necessary functionality of this extension. More of an explanation would be welcome ;)

7. Changing your Useragent? You can define that in each pages Properties, and there are numerous buttons available that you can add to an address bar.

8.Stylish - http://my.opera.com/BleedingHeart/blog/ ... e-using-ka

9. Greasemonkey - http://www.ghacks.net/2008/08/10/greasemonkey-in-opera/

10. Noscript - There is built in functionality, and a built in button that you an add, to enable and disable Jscripts.

Hopefully this shows that Opera is a bit more competent. :)

signature.png

Also, Dan, I have been working on this list for sometime now. You provided me with Firefox extensions that you couldn't go without, so here is how to have them in opera:

1. ColorZilla - Besides the default Zoom tools in Opera, here is a great widget that is praised for similar functionality: http://widgets.opera.com/widget/4138/

2. FoxyTunes - I couldn't find anything that provided as much depth and features as FoxyTunes, however the default Media Player with Opera Unite should at least allow you to play and stream tunes, which is better than nothing.

3. YouTube Video Downloader - Here is a greasemonkey script, which is compatible with Opera: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/lifeha ... cript.html

4. Faviconize - This one took some research and I have no link to show for it, but there are a few lines in your skin.ini file that you modify to remove the text completely.

5. No solution, I tried.

6. I am sorry for being a noob to this, but I didn't quite understand the necessary functionality of this extension. More of an explanation would be welcome ;)

7. Changing your Useragent? You can define that in each pages Properties, and there are numerous buttons available that you can add to an address bar.

8.Stylish - http://my.opera.com/BleedingHeart/blog/ ... e-using-ka

9. Greasemonkey - http://www.ghacks.net/2008/08/10/greasemonkey-in-opera/

10. Noscript - There is built in functionality, and a built in button that you an add, to enable and disable Jscripts.

Hopefully this shows that Opera is a bit more competent. :)

signature.png

I don't see how the Zoom tools help with that, nor do I understand what that Widget is supposed to do, beyond a hex readout. It doesn't seem to interact with the page in any way, it's just Photoshop's color picker sans Photoshop.

I had to prove to my boss yesterday that a red bar at the top of a page was in fact the same color as the footer, and that it was just the client's LCD monitor which made the color at the bottom a little washed out, so I installed Colorzilla on his Firefox and showed him. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Most of the time, I want to keep the text there, but for things like my company's online project management thing, I don't want to keep a full-sized tab open at all times, so I right-click > FaviconizeTab just for that one.

There's an HTML attribute for anchor tags that lets you specify where you want the link to open. It's supposed to be used for frameset pages, but there's also a value called _blank which opens the link target in a new window - I have Firefox set to intercept all new windows and create new tabs instead, so I get a whole bunch of tabs I didn't ask for. TargetKiller removes those target attributes, so I don't get overrun with windows and tabs greedy web developers decided I needed. It forces those links to be opened in the same tab, unless of course I use the browser-level [Ctrl]+click / [shift]+click for a new tab/window.

You have no idea how much it annoys me when webpages force new tabs on me. Firefox has built-in options to force new pages to be opened in new windows or new tabs, but that's more for external applications sending URLs to the browser.

Took me a bit to find it, but I see what you're saying. ModifyHeaders is more in depth - you can edit existing header data or add lines to the header information, and since you can write your own, I can make Firefox identify itself as the embedded browser on the PSP - but it's a start.

I'm talking per-URI. Like for this page, I allow scripts from the Forumer servers, but forbid the embedded scripts hosted on googlesyndication.com. If a site is pulling scripts from five different URIs, I can allow or disallow the page access to those scripts based on the URI it's pulling from with two clicks.

As far as 3, 8, and 9, I posit that those options would not exist were it not for the Firefox extensions they were created for/modeled after.

And this is why one should never get into an argument when one is unwilling to change their mind. It just becomes two sides presenting counter-point after counter-point, while everyone else sits on the sidelines, rolling their eyes. ;)

I gave all browsers a fair shake when I originally tried them, and I can guarantee that Opera does not work for me, as a web developer or as a web user. I've grown too used to [Alt]+clicking on any word/phrase/name on a page for an in-page pop up with the Answers.com definition/wiki/bio for that item.

I've found Opera to be rigid and clunky - not as rigid and clunky as Safari, but more than I could stand. I simply cannot understand why Opera doesn't re-focus the page after using the Back/Forward/Reload buttons, or entering a URL in the address bar, meaning I can't use the scroll wheel until after I click on the page itself. The fact that the Opera devs are touting the ability to resize the search box under "What's New" on the Opera 10 Beta page is ludicrous to me. It doesn't support OpenSearch - neither does Safari, for that matter. It can't be extended in any useful way - it's like a version of Windows you can't install any other programs on, just Windows Powertoys or Windows Sidebar gadgets.

With the way the web is going, browsers are basically our OS interfaces with the Internet. Web pages can interact directly with installed extensions, and vice-versa. Opera's draconian approach to browser extensibility - while understandable from a troubleshooting standpoint - limits its future potential.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I don't see how the Zoom tools help with that, nor do I understand what that Widget is supposed to do, beyond a hex readout. It doesn't seem to interact with the page in any way, it's just Photoshop's color picker sans Photoshop.

I had to prove to my boss yesterday that a red bar at the top of a page was in fact the same color as the footer, and that it was just the client's LCD monitor which made the color at the bottom a little washed out, so I installed Colorzilla on his Firefox and showed him. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.

Most of the time, I want to keep the text there, but for things like my company's online project management thing, I don't want to keep a full-sized tab open at all times, so I right-click > FaviconizeTab just for that one.

There's an HTML attribute for anchor tags that lets you specify where you want the link to open. It's supposed to be used for frameset pages, but there's also a value called _blank which opens the link target in a new window - I have Firefox set to intercept all new windows and create new tabs instead, so I get a whole bunch of tabs I didn't ask for. TargetKiller removes those target attributes, so I don't get overrun with windows and tabs greedy web developers decided I needed. It forces those links to be opened in the same tab, unless of course I use the browser-level [Ctrl]+click / [shift]+click for a new tab/window.

You have no idea how much it annoys me when webpages force new tabs on me. Firefox has built-in options to force new pages to be opened in new windows or new tabs, but that's more for external applications sending URLs to the browser.

Took me a bit to find it, but I see what you're saying. ModifyHeaders is more in depth - you can edit existing header data or add lines to the header information, and since you can write your own, I can make Firefox identify itself as the embedded browser on the PSP - but it's a start.

I'm talking per-URI. Like for this page, I allow scripts from the Forumer servers, but forbid the embedded scripts hosted on googlesyndication.com. If a site is pulling scripts from five different URIs, I can allow or disallow the page access to those scripts based on the URI it's pulling from with two clicks.

As far as 3, 8, and 9, I posit that those options would not exist were it not for the Firefox extensions they were created for/modeled after.

And this is why one should never get into an argument when one is unwilling to change their mind. It just becomes two sides presenting counter-point after counter-point, while everyone else sits on the sidelines, rolling their eyes. ;)

I gave all browsers a fair shake when I originally tried them, and I can guarantee that Opera does not work for me, as a web developer or as a web user. I've grown too used to [Alt]+clicking on any word/phrase/name on a page for an in-page pop up with the Answers.com definition/wiki/bio for that item.

I've found Opera to be rigid and clunky - not as rigid and clunky as Safari, but more than I could stand. I simply cannot understand why Opera doesn't re-focus the page after using the Back/Forward/Reload buttons, or entering a URL in the address bar, meaning I can't use the scroll wheel until after I click on the page itself. The fact that the Opera devs are touting the ability to resize the search box under "What's New" on the Opera 10 Beta page is ludicrous to me. It doesn't support OpenSearch - neither does Safari, for that matter. It can't be extended in any useful way - it's like a version of Windows you can't install any other programs on, just Windows Powertoys or Windows Sidebar gadgets.

With the way the web is going, browsers are basically our OS interfaces with the Internet. Web pages can interact directly with installed extensions, and vice-versa. Opera's draconian approach to browser extensibility - while understandable from a troubleshooting standpoint - limits its future potential.

~ Becoming the Archetype