What are you reading?

topezia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The Holy Bible

How can you say that? I've read it and it is one of the most boring things ever.

I've read it. And it's the most epic story I've ever seen - battles, adventures, humor, kings anointed and dethroned, a people selected, a people rejected, a final Hero, and romance beyond anything man can understand. But most of all, it's the story of MY life - a life that's changed, forever, because of the words God wrote down in it.

@David.Atwell: I agree 110% with your comments about the Bible. It also is the story of MY life......

@David.Atwell: I agree 110% with your comments about the Bible. It also is the story of MY life......

and mine

You should get the Win7 theme for XP. Then get the rest of Win7. Then uninstall XP. Then it'll really look nice. ~ David Atwell

I'm into sci-fi, and none of the rubbishy sci-fi, I mean the proper stuff, 1984 by George Orwell is really good, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley is probably better and a Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess is superb.

Out of the realm of sci-fi I also like fantasy, like the Darren Shan saga, His Dark Materials (Phillip Pullman) and the occasional classic like 20,000 Leugues Under the Sea.

As for the whole Bible thing I can get the jist of both arguments, it is bit of a hard read but then again even if you aren't a religous person (I'm not anyway) it makes an interesting read, full of battles and heroes and hardships.

The Bible.

Some other good ones are Ender's Game, and The Earth Children series by Jane Auel (Clan of the Cave Bear is the best one), and the Cherub series, Artemis Fowl series, and the Inheritance Cycle aka Eragon, Eldest and Brisingr.

retrofont.jpg

• 1 year later...

I think I'm going to revive this beautiful thread, I'm a heavy reader :P

Too bad we don't have an official book thread or something, like the videogame or comic thread.

About the whole 'bible is the best book' thing.. well I can't really judge that, we have very different translations of the Bible.

The English use the King James Bible, as far as I know, and the Germans use the Lutheran, the very first translation in a common spoken language.

Luther has actually created High German with this translation, giving us metaphors, similes and more we still use in everyday language.

Though there's still no translation of the bible that uses the original, hebrew version :/

I've read nearly the entire Stephen King bibliography, he's just an awesome author.

I also like the Pendergast series or generally everything by the author duo Preston and Child, and of course Frank Schätzing.

He's a popular German author (mostly writing science thrillers and stuff, a German Michael Crichton :D) that has written The Swarm, if some of you know it.

So, what do you read?

uhm uhm... all the books I read are in Dutch so need to think of the translation of the title... anyway... I read LOTS...

The Wild Orchid - Kate Furnivall

Eragon - can't remember the writer (this one I do read in English)

Writers I like:

Carry Slee (Dutch)

Tess Gerritsen

Stephan King

and I probably forgot a LOT more.... but hey... I only read in Dutch further.....

Archived