Sign in to follow this  
topezia

What are you reading?

The Holy Bible

How can you say that? I've read it and it is one of the most boring things ever.

I've read it. And it's the most epic story I've ever seen - battles, adventures, humor, kings anointed and dethroned, a people selected, a people rejected, a final Hero, and romance beyond anything man can understand. But most of all, it's the story of MY life - a life that's changed, forever, because of the words God wrote down in it.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it's a book and was therefore written by man.

Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson) (I've always thought of him as an author as much as an artist)

Like a religion. Best comic strip EVAR!!! :D

I disagree. Garfield is by far the best.

Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson) (I've always thought of him as an author as much as an artist)

Okay, I can tell that you and I are going to be disagreeing on a lot. Garfield has been reusing jokes since the mid- seventies, and they weren't funny back then. Yeah, Garfield is fat. We know, he likes lasagna, he hates Odie, yeah, yeah. We know Jon's a loser (even though he has a girlfriend now). We know spiders hate Garfield. :roll: He's been using the same jokes over and over the entire length of the strip.

Bill Watterson quit too early, in my opinion. His strip had wit and intelligence, couching the great issues of our time within the mind of a six-year-old. It had imagination, it had depth, it had humor (Oh, how it had humor!) as well as solemnity. It's what first got me interested in comics; in fact, it's what got me through my elementary school years. :-)

Wait, why am I defending myself to you? ;-)

More then likely because you love the comic.

A couple of good books that I have just read are "Night Watch" by Terry Pratchett (Almost anything by Terry Pratchett is good. Especially anything with DEATH in it.) and "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke. The latter book is very well written. Something that I would think Myrddin would like. It's about two very different magicians in the very early part of the nineteenth century.

So many books, so little time.

Oh, I guess a need to tell you, DEATH is a character in Terry Pratchett's world.

I looooove Calvin and hobbes :D best comic ever !

20060307CalvinHobbes.gif

Okay, I can tell that you and I are going to be disagreeing on a lot. Garfield has been reusing jokes since the mid- seventies, and they weren't funny back then. Yeah, Garfield is fat. We know, he likes lasagna, he hates Odie, yeah, yeah. We know Jon's a loser (even though he has a girlfriend now). We know spiders hate Garfield. :roll: He's been using the same jokes over and over the entire length of the strip.

Bill Watterson quit too early, in my opinion. His strip had wit and intelligence, couching the great issues of our time within the mind of a six-year-old. It had imagination, it had depth, it had humor (Oh, how it had humor!) as well as solemnity. It's what first got me interested in comics; in fact, it's what got me through my elementary school years. :-)

My love of Garfield results more from the fact that that's the comic strip I grew up with. Besides, in the mind of a seven year old those Garfield jokes are mighty funny.

"Cough!" I think I'm a lot older than most of you, but my vote is:

Viginia Woolf - The Voyage Out. I think, however, that the chaps may say it's

more of a 'chic story'. Whatever!

:roll:

Goats by Mark Jude Poirier. Reading another book by Poirier, Modern Ranch Living.

Stephen King seems to be pretty popular nowadays, mm?

p.s. I think I spelled the author of my two books wrong.

*thwaps Kreeos for saying Garfield is superior to Calvin & Hobbes* :P

:P

Like I said, I grew up with Garfield and old habits die hard, lol.

The Cardinal of the Kremlin-Tom Clancy

The Bear and the Dragon -Tom Clancy

Rainbow Six- Tom Clancy

a lot of his books are great but I really love the Jack Ryan series. I have liked it since I read Hunt for Red October as a boy. On a side not I like the Dan Brown books as well. He has wrote more books the the obvious two.

Ahem... thought this thread was about books, you know those paper things with a lot of text not about comic strips but I have to agree... Garfield is just a nice fat red cat that doesn't make me laugh (may be his author needs a writer for text..)

I've put in my list some of the titles quoted here but first I have to finish reading a 1000 (well 990 actually) pages book about sly politicians involved with mobs and frauds and robbery ... it is called Many sporche (dirty hands) by Marco Travaglio and I regret is not fiction , is the story of Italy's last 20 years :evil:

Ahem... thought this thread was about books, you know those paper things with a lot of text not about comic strips but I have to agree... Garfield is just a nice fat red cat that doesn't make me laugh (may be his author needs a writer for text..)

I've put in my list some of the titles quoted here but first I have to finish reading a 1000 (well 990 actually) pages book about sly politicians involved with mobs and frauds and robbery ... it is called Many sporche (dirty hands) by Marco Travaglio and I regret is not fiction , is the story of Italy's last 20 years :evil:

Actually Jim Davis hasn't done any of the writing or artwork for the Garfield comic strips for nearly a decade. He tells the cartoonists generally what he wants them to do then puts his signature on the strip after it's done. The other cartoonists do everything else for him. From what I read he handles the merchandising and the handling of the Garfield brand.