How to Install Plugins ×

Custom Brushes Plugin 5.1.5

personally I think this plug in should be moved to development and taken out of production until you've actually fixed some of these major flaws.

re release it latter when you have your code down closer to being correct.

OMA

Agreed. As much as I like it, I'd much rather wait for something awesome than settle for something mediocre now and gradually see improvements. For example, pyrochild's Splatter was near-perfect when it came out...because he took his time on it and didn't let other people dictate his schedule. :)

personally I think this plug in should be moved to development and taken out of production until you've actually fixed some of these major flaws.

re release it latter when you have your code down closer to being correct.

OMA

Agreed. As much as I like it, I'd much rather wait for something awesome than settle for something mediocre now and gradually see improvements. For example, pyrochild's Splatter was near-perfect when it came out...because he took his time on it and didn't let other people dictate his schedule. :)

@Sawbrown100 just so you don't get me wrong I love this idea of brushes but think you've opened yourself up to a real can of worms with out being a bit further along in your code work on this plug in. I'm willing to wait for you to refine and present an A++ super awesome plugin. Your major portion is complete just clean it up a bit for production and use.

ciao OMA

I like this plugin!

I didn't read all the posts (11 pages in 2/3 days!)

So perhpas I will repeat some of you.

...if you choose the brush size, and start to draw with the focus on the size field, you could use the wheel of the mouse to increase/decrease the size while you are drawing...

It would be great if we could use the keyboard to adjust 1 by 1 this size instead 5 by 5.

The ball brush will be added to the brushes post

I like this plugin!

I didn't read all the posts (11 pages in 2/3 days!)

So perhpas I will repeat some of you.

...if you choose the brush size, and start to draw with the focus on the size field, you could use the wheel of the mouse to increase/decrease the size while you are drawing...

It would be great if we could use the keyboard to adjust 1 by 1 this size instead 5 by 5.

[attachment=0]balls.jpg[/attachment]

The ball brush will be added to the brushes post

only problem with that is not everyone has a wheel on their mouse. you really should read all the posts in this one madjik you will find it very interesting... most things were said first 1 to about 6 pages with many repeats of ideas and help pleas after, thats why I thought it should still be in development section instead of released yet. I'm not saying axe this plugin. just want sawbrown to take time and really polish it up. idea is shining, its brilliant, but implication and ease of useage doesn't have quite the sparkle and polish required. PS love that ball brush.

just want sawbrown to take time and really polish it up. idea is shining, its brilliant, but implication and ease of useage doesn't have quite the sparkle and polish required. PS love that ball brush.

I am not going to take your advice as releasing it now I can get feedback as the plugin is developing and I wouldn't suddenly want to deprive new users of custom brushes. I will wait longer, however, between versions.

KaHuc.png

Now, the news about this plug-in is out, many people will just go look for it in the development board anyway.

You are right, that in this part of the board, you get maximum feedback. There are still people who is willing to take some time out to do some experimenting, and write about there experience with this.

My suggestion is: Make a disclaimer in the first post, that this plug-in is still in development, and might contain bugs.

And then, when it is as bug free as it can get, make a new tread. At that time, i am sure there will be a public demand to make the tread sticky.. :wink:

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

This question goes out to sabrown100 or any other person which has created plugins for Paint.NET:

It was my impression that this brush functionality wasn't even possible within the Paint.NET architecture for the 3.x versions and that we would have had to wait until 4.x until this type of functionality would be possible. Myself and many others were obviously shocked when sabrown100 came out with this plugin that seems to work and definitely has potential. So the basic brush functionality works, although a little rusty so far.

Question:

With this plugin and the 3.x architecture of Paint.NET, would it be feasible to write code that would allow this plugin brush functionality to use animated brushes?

This is not a request because I'm certain this would have been requested already, but I am just simply wondering if this functionality would even be possible through plugins. Since Paint.NET itself might not have the code necessary to use animated brush files similar to the ones used by GIMP, but maybe the plugin could be written to go through a certain set of PNG images every 1-2 seconds or something like that.

I am not a developer. Just a curious Paint.NET user.

Thanks,

Dave

The animated brushes that I am referring to is what I have seen in GIMP and I would imagine Photoshop probably has it to.

Basically, it is one file that contains a bunch of related brush images. If you download and look at the brushes that I posted on Page 2 of the "Share Your Custom Paint.NET Brushes" thread for SketchBrush, vine, hsparks from the GIMP, you will see what I mean. Each of those sets contains 6-10 images. In the GIMP, as you are drawing with them the brush automatically cycles through the related brush images without you having to do anything. All you have to do is click and drag the brush as per normal.

Yup. That's what I(we) mean...I think.

Not really a top priority. I may soon decide to add DLL support though. I am considering creating a forum for it as there are several things to do with this plugin that could do with their own sub-forum, like posting custom brushes.

Basically, it is one file that contains a bunch of related brush images. If you download and look at the brushes that I posted on Page 2 of the "Share Your Custom Paint.NET Brushes" thread for SketchBrush, vine, hsparks from the GIMP, you will see what I mean. Each of those sets contains 6-10 images. In the GIMP, as you are drawing with them the brush automatically cycles through the related brush images without you having to do anything. All you have to do is click and drag the brush as per normal.

That will only happen after I have created my own format for the brushes - as PNG doesn't support animation and please don't mention GIF.

KaHuc.png

Am I the only person who dosen't get what this is about?

It seems to me it's basically just rendering some "thing" onto the canvas.

What does it look like, for example?

I'm strapped for time at the moment, so I really can't experiment with plugin's like I usually do.

PNG doesn't support animation...

PNG does support animation. Firefox 3.0 will support animated PNGs.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

PNG doesn't support animation...

PNG does support animation. Firefox 3.0 will support animated PNGs.

I don't think the normal PNG supports animation - but there is a little-known variation that does.

Like I said, eventually this plugin will have its own file format for brushes (although the image will still be stored in a PNG inside the file) so that I can add custom fields to it and I may decide to add animation support. I will then create a pdn filetype plugin for the new format.

KaHuc.png

Am I the only person who dosen't get what this is about?

It seems to me it's basically just rendering some "thing" onto the canvas.

What does it look like, for example?

I'm strapped for time at the moment, so I really can't experiment with plugin's like I usually do.

Here are some examples. Thanks to (I believe it was MadJik) for suggesting the idea of using the scroll wheel on the mouse while drawing to change size.

9742_fc1421b6f7e5ca2dda7d0b78073bf73c

9742_5b32950e19db1985e67e567b6df1ae3c

I don't think the normal PNG supports animation - but there is a little-known variation that does.

sabrown100, you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

sabrown100, you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

And if you don't know what your talking about, then don't bother trying to.

I also extremely recommend you to release the source to this, especially for de-bugging purposes.

i really like this plugin but its making my pdn really laggy with the new version.

i gotta be honest, i love this plugin, but ive never seen my pdn lag like this, im really considering taking the plugin off because i can barley draw with it on.

japannese.jpg

Support Our Troops, End The War

i really like this plugin but its making my pdn really laggy with the new version.

i gotta be honest, i love this plugin, but ive never seen my pdn lag like this, im really considering taking the plugin off because i can barley draw with it on.

I know what feature might be causing the problem - and I will make it optional in the next version.

KaHuc.png

I know what feature might be causing the problem - and I will make it optional in the next version.

okay, is there a way for me to make it lag less? i really dont want to get rid of the plugin, but i cant use pdn with it running.

japannese.jpg

Support Our Troops, End The War

okay, is there a way for me to make it lag less? i really dont want to get rid of the plugin, but i cant use pdn with it running.

Can you wait until the next version? And the feature I suspect is the preview of where on the canvas the brush will draw (the blue box).

Edit: In fact I am tempted to remove the feature completely.

KaHuc.png