How to Install Plugins ×

Custom Brushes Plugin 5.1.5

I love this plugin. My only problem is if I put too many in the folder, it crashes when I try to use it. So I have mine sorted in another folder and usually have to copy the ones I think I am going to use before I open pdn. I think with the ABR viewer more people are going to be adding a lot more and having crash problem. Is there any way (in a future update of this plugin) we can have it so you can open a specific folder within the plugin screen and use that selection. I know it will be a problem for people who have problems with sorting their brushes or even putting them in correct places. But I know a lot of people like me are going to go hit deviantart and download several hundred without thinking and end up crashing pdn and it taking a smack on the head to figure out why. (which it did not me, actually too smacks)

I do not mean to make more work on everybody, I just wish I could use all the brushes I downloaded without having to copy in and out of the custom brushes folder what I think I will need and will not need before I even open the program.

Is this even do-able?

I have several hundred but in different folders. I copy no more than 20 at a time to the custom brushes folder before opening pdn and running the plugin.

well, here is a factor to consider. If you have a comp with less than 2gigs of ram and running vista, there will be a problem. I recently switched from a comp running xp and only256 mb ram, and about 20 brushes, and there were times pdn crashed. Some freeware competitor programs bypass this problem by loading the brushes before the program even starts. I believe this is why pdn starts so fast. That could be one way to solve this problem. I wouldn't know how, don't know C++ from Html! :?

There is now a dedicated forum for sharing custom brushes: http://pdnplugins.vndv.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0. I have created and added some brushes to it and when a substantial number of brushes exist there I will change the link in the first post. Having a dedicated thread for your brush allows you to recieve more streamlined feedback on it and easily seperate questions from brushes.

Registration is not required to share or comment on brushes.

KaHuc.png

I recently downloaded paint.net and i cannot figure out how to add custom brushes

i cant find the Paint.net User Files place

can anyone help?

I have Vista if that help

Run the plugin once. Then it will automatically create it in My Documents\Paint.NET User Files\Custom Brushes.

For information on how to install plugins look here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2023

http://boltbait.googlepages.com/install

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

sorry if this was posted before, but are photoshop brushes compatible with this plugin?

The first post links to a tutorial on converting Photoshop brushes to those compatible with this plugin.

ah...stupid of me. Thanks

hi! I'm new around here.

Is it possible for this plugin to have a UI for the brush size similar to the brush size UI for the paintbrush tool in normal PDN.

The PDN brush UI is also present in pyrochild's Smudge plugin, so it should be possible, i think.. :)

A UI like this:

UI.png

Also, would it be possible to use the Hot Keys [ and ], to increase or decrease the brush size in Custom Brushes?

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Ok, but then how come pyrochild has replicated the same UI, with the Hot Keys [ and ] in his Smudge plugin if there are implications on copyright. Also, if Rick Brewster & Tom Jackson gave permission to use the UI, it would be possible then, right?

How do the implications of claiming copyright affect Bill Gates though?

Sorry for all the questions. :oops:

Merry Christmas

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

Ok, but then how come pyrochild has replicated the same UI, with the Hot Keys [ and ] in his Smudge plugin if there are implications on copyright. Also, if Rick Brewster & Tom Jackson gave permission to use the UI, it would be possible then, right?

Probably yes, but I guess it is mainly my habit of only using 3rd party code if it is fundemental to my plugins.

How do the implications of claiming copyright affect Bill Gates though?

Indirectly, through Microsoft.

Sorry for all the questions. :oops:

No problem.

----

I have found myself reconsidering the concept of a custom format, with the idea a renamed ZIP file may be the way to go rather than a custom arrangement of bytes.

KaHuc.png