Feature Request: Plugin Quick Search

Nice mock up :wink:

But I was looking more towards real time results. Give me one sec to update this with a screenshot of what I mean.

Edit: Here is example one leaving the field blank and somewhat grayed out

quicksearche2.png

Here is example two showing how the effects cascade when searching, it can also cascade to particular effects instead of just menus:

qucksearche.png

signature.png

nice idea but is it really necessary? if you haven't a clue what the plug in is called what would you type. for me personally I use so many plugins so very often I can almost find them with my eyes closed. I flip thru so fast when I'm doing pictures I don't even have to think about where they are or what they are called. this comes with practice making pictures and :wink: not always trying to think up new request ideas.

Actually, oma, when your effects menu, or rather your Render and Distort menus are more than twice as tall as your screen, it would be much faster to type the first 3 or 4 letters of the plugin you're looking for than scrolling all the way through the menu.

Mike.Ryan52: That's exactly the way search will work in SL. And it'll have some other features I think you'll appreciate.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Actually, oma, when your effects menu, or rather your Render and Distort menus are more than twice as tall as your screen, it would be much faster to type the first 3 or 4 letters of the plugin you're looking for than scrolling all the way through the menu.

QFT: As you can tell simply from my post I am a pack rat when it comes to plugins. Honestly, I have four versions of water reflection and a TXT file telling me which ones has the certain feature I am looking for. My PDN effects menu is way to big to simply memorize the location of 250+ plugins. My suggestion provides and extremely easier form of finding my effects especially since I am the guy who loves key board commands.

Mike.Ryan52: That's exactly the way search will work in SL. And it'll have some other features I think you'll appreciate.

Any form of workaround until Rick can comment (either good or bad) would be extremely helpful, and I know I will appreciate any extra effects because with your programming style you arent into cowbell, but deeply involved with further integration. It is why I voted for you, so keep making these great plugins.

signature.png

Try almost 3 X

Well it use to be like that.

omExTE6.png

I don't know Pyro for me to take my hand off the mouse and then move to the keyboard peck my way thru the keys hunt and search the letters I could have scrolled down and found the effect required used it an moved on to the next 4 or 5. perhaps a bit more orginization for the effects that don't fall into sub menus would be more in order. there are some effects I still use that I know the writers are gone from the forum so can not have rearranged but there is still some like alpha mask even boltbaits toon and strip primary color that might be moved to shorten effect list.

just a thought I get on a roll and I don't really like to have to stop to type.

edit for the record I'm a pack rat too when it comes to plugins, I also keep older versions for some effects that are not avail in the newer versions but if I find after awhile I don't use them near as often. at that point I just move it out into another file I have within my effects called hold old. if I really need to use just that one odd thing I restore back into the current effects list. think about it just how often do you really go back to the old water one, bet most times its just because its in the menu and you could have done just as well with the new version but pushed the wrong button. .

PS again sorry if you have too much time on your hands are really looking for something that would be awesome to work on find a way to outline or drop shadow semi transparent pixels with out filling in behind the transparency. i need just around the edges outline and drop shadow just outside the shape semi transparent shape not as present not behind making it solid. ..... now that would be awesome and extremely useful to making pictures.

I don't know Pyro for me to take my hand off the mouse and then move to the keyboard peck my way thru the keys hunt and search the letters I could have scrolled down and found the effect required used it an moved on to the next 4 or 5....just a thought I get on a roll and I don't really like to have to stop to type...
You wouldn't have to use the search facility if one was to come into effect (pun intended). If you feel more comfortable using solely the mouse to scroll, then so be it. If you find the need to use the search, then great; you'll have the best of both worlds at your disposal.

Just because a feature is there, doesn't mean it has to be used. :)

I second this motion. Sometimes, with plugins I have not used in a while or plugin packs with updates to location, I forget where they are, so searching would be as pyro was saying: convenient.

Plugin delimiter? Awesome idea. I'm david.atwell, and I approve this message.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

PS again sorry if you have too much time on your hands are really looking for something that would be awesome to work on find a way to outline or drop shadow semi transparent pixels with out filling in behind the transparency. i need just around the edges outline and drop shadow just outside the shape semi transparent shape not as present not behind making it solid. ..... now that would be awesome and extremely useful to making pictures.

If you looked through the outline object effect thread you will see I begged Pyro for it, and there is a chance it will come but until then me and BoltBait both found seperate ways of achieving it.

signature.png

If you looked through the outline object effect thread you will see I begged Pyro for it, and there is a chance it will come but until then me and BoltBait both found seperate ways of achieving it.

Both of you: off-topic much?

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Both of you: off-topic much?

No, not at all. How about you? Did you notice the weather today, quite frigid in my neck of the woods but I was able to manage. It did call for some hot chocolate today, and man was it great. I love hot chocalate, creamy when made right and oh so delicious.*

*ON purpose off-topicness

signature.png

This is a GREAT idea! This will especially help those just getting started in PDN. (Not that they need many plugins... I just really helps to get to what you are looking for faster. Also, some tutorials don't specifically show you where in the Effects menu to go. Search would make it much easier.

This is a GREAT idea! This will especially help those just getting started in PDN. (Not that they need many plugins... I just really helps to get to what you are looking for faster. Also, some tutorials don't specifically show you where in the Effects menu to go. Search would make it much easier.

Thanks! There are many points in which this enhancement will greatly increase productivity, and I dont think it is truly cowbell.

signature.png