How to Install Plugins ×

Drop Shadow and other effects, KrisVDM's Plugin Pack (updated 2024-03-23) v.5.0.5.0

KrisVDM

Make sure you have the latest version of both Drop Shadow and Scriptlab. If the problem persists, post your problem in the Scriptlab thread....

22 hours ago, jumbohotdogs100 said:

I have verstion 4.0.12 and scriptlab wont process the drop shadow effect :( is there any way I can fix this? I need the drop shadow effect to work for a project

ScriptLab was not working in paint.net 4.0.12 but this is fixed as of today. Please go download the latest version.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

• BoltBait featured this topic
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To be honest .. I actually stopped using paint.net a while ago primarily due to the fact it did not have an easy object align or drop shadow feature, two things I really relied on with the project I was then involved in.

I was still learning back then...didn't even know you could download plugins. I thought i'd recently give it another whirl to see if anythings changed..

Gotta say im impressed with what this guys offering 'for free' .. and i'm back to using it again on a regular basis.

Good job and thanks :)

• 8 months later...

Hi @RoosSkywalker

That pack has not been updated for the newer versions of Paint. Last update to the pack was 2010. Fortunately all the effects still work in Paint 4.17

And yes - you can trust the link.

Hope this helps. B)

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

• 4 months later...

The installer for this pack is not compatible with the Windows Store version. Does anyone have the DLLs separately? Need to know what plugin folders (Effects, FileTypes, Shapes) each go in as well. I'd ask the developer directly but due to the pack not being updated in over 7 years, I'm gonna guess he's not entirely interested in this any more.

A workaround for plugin installers that do not work with the Windows Store version is:

1. (If they do not already exist) Create two folders, one named "Effects" and one named "FileTypes", in the main "paint.net" folder, usually like "C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects" and  "C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes". 

2. Download and run the plugin installer.

3. Follow the instructions in the second yellow "Note" at https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html 

4. Cut and paste the files installed in the folders in step 1 into the folders created in step 3.

Xkds4Lh.png

2 hours ago, Djisves said:

A workaround for plugin installers that do not work with the Windows Store version is:

1. (If they do not already exist) Create two folders, one named "Effects" and one named "FileTypes", in the main "paint.net" folder, usually like "C:\Program Files\paint.net\Effects" and  "C:\Program Files\paint.net\FileTypes". 

2. Download and run the plugin installer.

3. Follow the instructions in the second yellow "Note" at https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/InstallPlugins.html 

4. Cut and paste the files installed in the folders in step 1 into the folders created in step 3.

Creating the folders under "Program Files" (both x86 and x64, separately and together) causes the installer to immediately crash when run. I do not want to have to install the non-Windows Store version of paint.net as I do not want to potentially cause conflicts from the install and eventual uninstall process. I've dug through the .exe and .dll in the zip folder that's downloaded, but can't find the effect .dll's in the a usable format.

Edited by InsanityOnABun

11 minutes ago, InsanityOnABun said:

I've dug through the .exe ... but can't find the effect .dll's in the a usable format.

The dll files are embedded in the exe file, but you need the proper developer tools (and know how to use them) to manually extract them.

14 minutes ago, InsanityOnABun said:

I do not want to have to install the non-Windows Store version of paint.net as I do not want to potentially cause conflicts from the install and eventual uninstall process.

I don't know what sort of conflicts you think you'll run into, but I say just do it. Or do it in a VM, or another physical computer.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

I've added a second download option to the first post. Now you can download a zipped pack of DLLs for manual installation with the Store version of paint.net.

You will need to

1. Download the zipped DLL package (click the big gray button)
  2. Extract the DLLs to the folder  /Documents*/paint.net App Files/Effects/
  3. Restart paint.net

* the name of this folder may be translated to your system language

• Upvote 1

On 1/16/2018 at 1:03 PM, toe_head2001 said:

The dll files are embedded in the exe file, but you need the proper developer tools (and know how to use them) to manually extract them.

I don't know what sort of conflicts you think you'll run into, but I say just do it. Or do it in a VM, or another physical computer.

Registry keys and / or config files both versions use that the installer may overwrite to default, the same that the uninstaller may clean up, stuff like that. I work in IT, I've learned to expect things like that. Not interested in getting a VM environment set up and a new VM spun up just to get some dll's. That seems a bit excessive. And besides, attention is going to be brought to this one way or another as more extension installers are found that don't recognize the store version.

On 1/16/2018 at 7:33 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I've added a second download option to the first post. Now you can download a zipped pack of DLLs for manual installation with the Store version of paint.net.

You will need to

1. Download the zipped DLL package (click the big gray button)
  2. Extract the DLLs to the folder  /Documents*/paint.net App Files/Effects/
  3. Restart paint.net

* the name of this folder may be translated to your system language

Excellent, thank you!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I am about making neon or glowing rainbow text for My Daughter Bday.

I found this step https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/26770-porcelain-neon-text/

but the dropbox download link for drop shadow is dead, and KrisVDM doesnt seem active, I hope He is ok.

is there any other tutorial using PDN to make neon light, all I found in google search always show PS on how to make neon light text.

Thankyou.

58 minutes ago, hary said:

the dropbox download link for drop shadow is dead

Yes, the "zipped DLLs" link is dead, but the installer version link works fine.

I'm sure one of the moderators will fix the dropbox link shortly. In the meantime, click on the blue button to take you to Kris' site to download his plugins.

Xkds4Lh.png

12 hours ago, Djisves said:

Yes, the "zipped DLLs" link is dead, but the installer version link works fine.

I'm sure one of the moderators will fix the dropbox link shortly. In the meantime, click on the blue button to take you to Kris' site to download his plugins.

Thanks for the reply Djisves.

so the exe work for windows store version? from the info if I use the windows store version, the exe doesnt work. and have to copy the dll.

I will give it a try.

Thankyou.

So First things first:

It worked before alright, but when I do it now it breaks

Explenation: I use one of his effects and then try to load it and then the whole paint.net crashes for no reason, With other of his plugins too,

oh and It doesnt say any plugin error. 

Also i am using the free version

And Its probably because of many plugins but what do you all think?

• 3 weeks later...

@toe_head2001I indeed have my issue fixed, I don't know what happened but, second what plugin does where colors are into a circle like a gradient chart or color wheel and they all zoom into a point?

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know if Kris Vandermotten is still actively working on his plugins but I'd like to suggest adding the option to select which side(s) one wants to face in his Fade Edge plugin (for example, I might want to fade just the top and right sides).

• 1 month later...

uhhhh when i download it, it tells me i need .NET framework 3.5 required, i install it, the installer usually appears after the download process is complete, but it didn't. is there something that i did wrong?

• 1 month later...

hi i am trying to install the vandermotten pack plugin, i have installed the exe file but when i open paint.net, the drop shadow effect doesn't show up that is part of the pack i downloaded. theres another file in the folder that has .dll, I wonder if i s

I am making photos for school projects. please reply asap

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Edited title & merged with VPP thread.

Hello & welcome to the forum @doubleo20 :)

Drop Shadow can be found under the Effects > Object submenu. Did you look there?

PS I've joined your thread to the KVDM plugin pack thread (we try to keep all the plugin discussions in one place).

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Spelling