How to Install Plugins ×

Drop Shadow and other effects, KrisVDM's Plugin Pack (updated 2024-03-23) v.5.0.5.0

KrisVDM

Updated effects available through my blog at http://www.u2u.info/Blogs/Kris/

Thank you

very

much!

One recommendation - maybe nonsense: I'd rather do Drop Shadow in the Object submenu, which is not built-in but common if you use popular effects like Feather or Outline Object.

I don't think Stylize is the appropriate place for it - considering the other effects in the menu. "Object" however comes better to my mind.

Edit: Fixed an issue with the quote.

One recommendation - maybe nonsense: I'd rather do Drop Shadow in the Object submenu, which is not built-in but common if you use popular effects like Feather or Outline Object.

I don't think Stylize is the appropriate place for it - considering the other effects in the menu. "Object" however comes better to my mind.

Yes, Object menu is better! Even render is better!

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

I am fairly new at this program and don't know a lot about working it, but I cannot get the shadow effect or any of the plugin's effects to work. They appear in the menus, but when I adjust them nothing happens to the image on which I am working. I extracted the file, put the .dlls in the effects folder, but no luck when adjusting. I can move the adjustments, but the image is not altered, no drop shadow, no

I have an extracted src.V3.2 file and an unextracted file with the same name, so I am not sure I need to do something else in the effects folder?

The only setting that affects the image is when I uncheck "Keep original image" and the image goes black.

I am running the beta version required.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

I cannot get the shadow effect or any of the plugin's effects to work. They appear in the menus (...)

I am running the beta version required.

Does "any of the plugin's effects" mean you can't get the effects from this thread "13 effects and a..." working or do you have problems with all effects available?

Yes, thanks for the request for clarification.

Actually, I was wanting to use the drop shadow mainly and it will not work. I go to Effects > Stylize > Drop Shadow. I see the offset x and y, widening radius, blur, and shadow color. I widen the radius by moving the point to the right and nothing happens. Adjusting the shadow color does not change color, no x or y offset, no nothing. And it seems to not work only for the drop shadow. The main one I would like to use.

Thanks for the help!!

I cannot get the shadow effect or any of the plugin's effects to work. They appear in the menus, but when I adjust them nothing happens to the image on which I am working. [...] I can move the adjustments, but the image is not altered, no drop shadow, no
What kind of picture are you trying this on? You need a picture with transparency for the drop shadow to have any kind of effect. So it won't do anything on a jpeg image, for example.

Just to see the effect, use the eraser with a big radius (100 pixels or so) and erase part of your image. Then try again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I need some help installing the Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadow.dll: The "Drop Shadow" effect, under the Stylize effect menu.

I tried adding it, then I close my PdN program and reopen it, but I still can't find the Drop Shadow effect nowhere in "Stylize Effect Menu". I've tried this like 3 times now, but it still won't show. I've added other plug-ins before, but this is the first one I've added that won't show anywhere in the menu. Help anyone? :(

Did you also include the Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.dll?

Here are some snippets from his first post:

UPDATE: I heard your feedback. The effects are now split over six dll's (+ the framework one, always required) and the submenus should be ok now.

Effects per DLL:

[*:3vcs6enb] Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.dll: You allways need this dll. It includes the framework used by the other dll's.
    [*:3vcs6enb] Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadow.dll: The "Drop Shadow" effect, under the Stylize effect menu. With offset, widening, blur and a color picker.

Wow, thanx a lot BoltBait, I must've overlooked that part. I went ahead and added that .dll file as well and there it was, the drop shadow effect. Thanx again BoltBait, I really appreciate your help and quick response :D

• 4 weeks later...

This isn't working for me. I have it downloaded, with the .dll thing, and it shows up in the stylize list, but when I try to use it, nothing happens. The image stays the same no matter how many times I use it or with what settings, it stay the same.

2804371421_261014017f_o.png

This isn't working for me. I have it downloaded, with the .dll thing, and it shows up in the stylize list, but when I try to use it, nothing happens. The image stays the same no matter how many times I use it or with what settings, it stay the same.

Drop Shadow requires some transparent area around your object in order to put the shadow in. So, be sure the layer you're working on has some transparent area.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay I've read all the posts about the problems/fixes for getting this to work and it's still a no go for me.

Do I unzip the plugin and put it in the effects folder like I did in the past? What should the folder structure look like?

My folder structure looks like this:

C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\Vandermotten.PaintDotNet.Effects

Inside the Vandermotten.PaintDotNet.Effects folder I have:

Properties (folder)

Resources (folder)

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Samples.dll

src.V3.2.zip (zip file)

Vandermotten.PaintDotNet.Effects.sln

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Blurs.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadow.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Duotones.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.FadeEdge.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Monochromes.dll

I have no 'compatible' folder as mentioned in another post. I downloaded the plugin from the direct link. I am using v3.35 of pdn and running WinXP if it's relevant. Do I have to register the dlls? I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance.

Do I unzip the plugin and put it in the effects folder like I did in the past? What should the folder structure look like?
Directly under C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\ (no subfolder!), place the dlls:

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.dll (This one is mandatory)

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Samples.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Blurs.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadow.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Duotones.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.FadeEdge.dll

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Monochromes.dll

Each of the effect dlls is optional, but of course, you need at least one.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just downloaded your plugins: in fact I was more interested in your source code than in the effects themselves.

And woh! I particularly appreciate the clever (or smart as you tend to prefer this word) use you make of delegates and lambda expressions, especially the definition of a Layer which is just beautiful!

may be you add to drop shadow effect new regulator - transparency shadow,where we can make transparency of the shadow
You can get a transparent shadow with the current version already:

Depending on your exact needs, the first option is to blur the shadow. That blurs the edges of the shadow into full transparency. The shadow itself is not transparent though.

Your second option is to use layers. Copy the layer containing your "object" using the copy button in the layers window. Then select the bottom layer, i.e. the one you copied, not the one that contains the copy. Apply the drop shadow effect to this layer, but make sure that you turn the "Keep original image" option off. The layer will now contain a shadow only, not the "object" that created the shadow. That "object" is however still visible in the layer above it, i.e. the copy you created earlier. Now set the opacity of the layer containing the shadow, that will give you the effect you want. You can do so by editing the options on the layer. Double click the layer in the layers window, leave the blending mode to normal (or experiment with other modes!) and change the opacity.

Hope this helps.

And woh! I particularly appreciate the clever [...] use you make of delegates and lambda expressions, especially the definition of a Layer which is just beautiful!
Thanks! You must be the first person to actually look at that source code. I love that you refer to it as "beautiful": I guess some people use paint.Net to create beatiful images, I used it to try to create beatiful code ;-).

• 4 weeks later...

After reading this thread many times, I finally get it to work!!! YAY!!!

I am new to Paint.net and I am a bit slow with getting it to work at frist. :oops:

Big thanks to you Kris! :D

• 1 month later...

LOL after seeing all the negative comments here I was confident it wouldn't work, but lo and behold I had no problems at all! (And I usually have a low first time try success rate for these kinds of errors.) Thanks, because I can't see why after all these months of using Paint.NET I hadn't gotten drop shadow.

(Oh and Aeonix's post above had me laughing, no offense to anyone)