Sign in to follow this  
KrisVDM

Drop Shadow and other effects, KrisVDM's Plugin Pack (updated 2010-10-26)

I am having the same problem. Does anyone know how to fix it? Here's the code:

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.dll
     Effect Name: Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadowEffect
     Full error message: System.MethodAccessException: PaintDotNet.ColorWheel..ctor()
  at Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadowConfigDialog.InitializeComponent()
  at Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadowConfigDialog..ctor()
  at Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadowEffect.CreateConfigDialog()
  at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffect(Type effectType)

1. update to the latest pdn

2. redownload the plugin so you know you also have the lastet plugin

and replace all the earlier plugin files. all files!

I've just downloaded your plugins: in fact I was more interested in your source code than in the effects themselves.

And woh! I particularly appreciate the clever (or smart as you tend to prefer this word) use you make of delegates and lambda expressions, especially the definition of a Layer which is just beautiful!

may be you add to drop shadow effect new regulator - transparency shadow,where we can make transparency of the shadow
You can get a transparent shadow with the current version already:

Depending on your exact needs, the first option is to blur the shadow. That blurs the edges of the shadow into full transparency. The shadow itself is not transparent though.

Your second option is to use layers. Copy the layer containing your "object" using the copy button in the layers window. Then select the bottom layer, i.e. the one you copied, not the one that contains the copy. Apply the drop shadow effect to this layer, but make sure that you turn the "Keep original image" option off. The layer will now contain a shadow only, not the "object" that created the shadow. That "object" is however still visible in the layer above it, i.e. the copy you created earlier. Now set the opacity of the layer containing the shadow, that will give you the effect you want. You can do so by editing the options on the layer. Double click the layer in the layers window, leave the blending mode to normal (or experiment with other modes!) and change the opacity.

Hope this helps.

And woh! I particularly appreciate the clever [...] use you make of delegates and lambda expressions, especially the definition of a Layer which is just beautiful!
Thanks! You must be the first person to actually look at that source code. I love that you refer to it as "beautiful": I guess some people use paint.Net to create beatiful images, I used it to try to create beatiful code ;-).

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.dll

Effect Name: Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadowEffect

Full error message: System.MethodAccessException: PaintDotNet.ColorWheel..ctor()

at Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadowConfigDialog.InitializeComponent()

at Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadowConfigDialog..ctor()

at Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.DropShadowEffect.CreateConfigDialog()

at PaintDotNet.Menus.EffectMenuBase.RunEffect(Type effectType)

The error message

Paint net v3.36

Win XP

Standard Dell PC

I'm about to delete the plug-in :( :( :cry: :cry:

Update the dropshadow effect to the latest version.

Enough said.

LOL after seeing all the negative comments here I was confident it wouldn't work, but lo and behold I had no problems at all! (And I usually have a low first time try success rate for these kinds of errors.) Thanks, because I can't see why after all these months of using Paint.NET I hadn't gotten drop shadow.

(Oh and Aeonix's post above had me laughing, no offense to anyone)

kind of a somewhat big bump, but the dropshadow won't work for me, here's what I get:

th_problem.png

Any help?

Yeah, you need to upgrade your drop shadow plugin. There is a new version that takes care of that problem. Check the first post in this thread for the link.

kind of a somewhat big bump, but the dropshadow won't work for me, here's what I get:

th_problem.png

Any help?

Yeah, you need to upgrade your drop shadow plugin. There is a new version that takes care of that problem. Check the first post in this thread for the link.

I'll try again, but this came up AFTER I had downloaded the one from site, let me delete them, then retry. I'll tell ya how it goes.

EDIT: ok it's working.

may be you add to drop shadow effect new regulator - transparency shadow,where we can make transparency of the shadow

Several people asked for this, so I finally decided to implement it. Version 3.3 of the Drop Shadow effect now has a shadow opacity setting.

I've also optimized the effect significantly. On big images with relatively small objects, the effect is now a lot faster, especially when using large widening and blur values.

One recommendation - maybe nonsense: I'd rather do Drop Shadow in the Object submenu, which is not built-in but common if you use popular effects like Feather or Outline Object.

I don't think Stylize is the appropriate place for it - considering the other effects in the menu. "Object" however comes better to my mind.

Makes sense, so did that too.

Download from my download page.

Just updated. Thanks Chris. I think it was a good idea to move the drop shadow and its always nicer to have separate dll`s. Nice one :wink:

Just updated. Thanks Chris. I think it was a good idea to move the drop shadow and its always nicer to have separate dll`s. Nice one :wink:

Yes, separate DLL's is definitely a plus. Thanks for updating (whoever created this plugin)!