KrisVDM

Drop Shadow and other effects, KrisVDM's Plugin Pack (updated 2010-10-26)

I had drop shadow, but i had to restore my new Laptop, so i reinstalled Paint.net and downloaded your pack, but i cant find drop shadow anywhere in my effects. its definately in my effects folder in Paint.net so where is it. Under which effect should it be found exactly? I tried reinstalling but it's saying it's already there. Help, i use this all the time....

Whenever I start up PDN now I keep getting a pop up asking me if I want to update to the latest version of your effects . I downloaded the update but the effects were not individual dll files , just an installer. I therefore decided against installing the update. Now though the pop up keeps appearing . Is this going to happen continually until I DO install the new versions? I think this is out of order and you should be just posting the updates in the plug in thread and leaving the choice to install them to the individual concerned.

How do I stop this pop up from appearing? :evil:

Whenever I start up PDN now I keep getting a pop up asking me if I want to update to the latest version of your effects . I downloaded the update but the effects were not individual dll files , just an installer. I therefore decided against installing the update. Now though the pop up keeps appearing . Is this going to happen continually until I DO install the new versions? I think this is out of order and you should be just posting the updates in the plug in thread and leaving the choice to install them to the individual concerned.

How do I stop this pop up from appearing? :evil:

Yes, with the current code the pop-up will appear until you install the new version (or remove the old one). And indeed, the new version features an installer. Just double-click it. It will ask you which effects you want to install. It then just copies the required dll's into the correct folder. It makes no other modifications to your system and there is no spyware.

BTW, when I uploaded the file, it was virus free. But as with anything you download from the internet, you should check it before you run it.

You have a point when you say I should leave people the choice. And in a way I do: you are free to remove my effects if you want to. But I also noticed that I get a lot of questions. Just scan through this thread here. Many questions are about bugs that have long been fixed, or incompatibilities of old versions with more recent versions of Paint.NET. So I thought it would help people if I'd let them know there is a new version. Most people don't check that when they have a problem. Also, the new version is actually better than the previous one (faster, wider range of parameter values, etc.) A lot of other questions are about how to install the dll's. To help those people, I created the installer. In short: I hope and believe this wil benefit a lot of my users. I'm sorry if it offended you.

One final question, out of curiosity. You don't seem to have a problem with running arbitrary code that you download from the internet in full trust on you machine, since that's what you do when you install third-party effects. Why do you have a problem with running an installer? Was it the "I need administrative rights" dialog that scared you? If you have an operating system that gives you that dialog, you also get that question when you install effects manually... And you get it when you install Paint.NET. So what makes this one different?

Note: Personally, I trust the installer, but i'm still against it being the only option.

Yes, with the current code the pop-up will appear until you install the new version (or remove the old one).

I don't know, as I haven't received such a popup, but Goonfella's post implies it shows when you first start Paint.NET. If so, IMO it should only show when you run an effect.

And indeed, the new version features an installer. Just double-click it. It will ask you which effects you want to install. It then just copies the required dll's into the correct folder. It makes no other modifications to your system and there is no spyware.

BTW, when I uploaded the file, it was virus free. But as with anything you download from the internet, you should check it before you run it.

Also, if the installer bothers you and you really want the effects, Reflector can extract the DLLs from the installer.

One final question, out of curiosity. You don't seem to have a problem with running arbitrary code that you download from the internet in full trust on you machine, since that's what you do when you install third-party effects. Why do you have a problem with running an installer?

Unless you're using XP with an admin account, code without elevation cannot format the hard disk nor delete files owned by other users.

If you have an operating system that gives you that dialog, you also get that question when you install effects manually...

But it is elevating Windows Explorer, not a 3rd-party program. Additionally, IIRC if you're using Windows 7 with the default UAC level, you don't see it.

To start with the installer issue first Kris, I had never had a PDN plugin that used an installer before and assumed that this meant all the plugins would be installed - even the ones I don`t need. So that was the reason I decided against using it at first, preferring to see if anyone else had installed the update and how they got on.However once I had chosen not to use it I did not expect to see the pop up appearing every time I started up PDN. This was rather irritating.

What also concerned me was that there was no mention of the update in this thread. That`s what made me a little suspicious about spyware. Please in future if you are updating this way say so in the thread. It would mean less confusion all round. By the way I scan ALL files that I download before I even extract them from the zip file.

In the end, like you say, I had nothing to worry about. I did use the installer and it was very efficient and gave me the option of not installing certain plugins and even just installed the new ones over the old so I never had to fish around in the Effects folder deleting the old ones first before copying the new ones in which did save a lot of time. Nice idea. I chose to get all of them in the end and they are all excellent plugins and for this I am very grateful . Thanks very much for creating them.

I can appreciate the need to have the latest versions of any plugin . It `s not fair to complain about bugs that have been fixed in newer versions . I can understand the idea behind informing people that updated ones are ready to be installed. In fact when I first saw the pop up I went straight to your website and dowloaded them . It was my surprise at the method used which threw me a bit but mainly the fact that I could not stop the pop up put me off . Maybe you could code the update to show a pop up to inform users, but once it was acted upon, either proceeding with the update or not, it would no longer appear. At least then people would know about the update. They could then install them in their own time from this thread.

So thanks for replying to my concerns. I guess I was a bit frustrated when I wrote the earlier post, I don`t usually include the mad smilie in posts. Sorry about that. No hard feelings I hope. :wink:

No hard feelings I hope. :wink:
Absolutely not, on the contrary. I'm happy to hear you like the plug-ins.

In fact, you do have a point. Unfortunately, it's a little late to do something about the frequency of the popup for now; the code for the update check has been out in the wild for over a year. But I will go more easy on the reminders after the next update.

I don't know, as I haven't received such a popup, but Goonfella's post implies it shows when you first start Paint.NET.
You must be using a very old version of these plug-ins then, or you don't have them installed at all. Feel free to try the new version.

You really shouldn't be checking and prompting for updates in your constructor:

[*:vrhj1duk]Plugins slow down Paint.NET's startup enough as it is.[*:vrhj1duk]It confuses users -- they may think it's Paint.NET prompting them to update.[*:vrhj1duk]Most users probably don't open Paint.NET every day, or even every month. So imagine if several other plugins prompted for updates like this. Every time Average Joe wanted to use Paint.NET, they'd get spammed with a dozen update prompts that had nothing to do with what he wanted to do, anyway. That would overwhelm and/or annoy the hell out of Paint.NET's users. Paint.NET's, not yours.[*:vrhj1duk]The user did not open Paint.NET to use your plugin. Wait until someone actually clicks on your plugin's name before assuming that the user has any desire to use your plugin ever. Because they might not. I have tons of plugins that I've only ever used once, if at all.

You really shouldn't be checking and prompting for updates in your constructor
I've posted a new update, version 3.5.1, that does the check only when an effect is actually run. Of course, this modification doesn't change the old versions that are already out there.

I haven't triggered the updater in the old versions, so those that have already installed 3.5.0 will not be notified that 3.5.1 is available.

I have just re-installed the plugins again and have no luck.

I still get this message and if I choose no PDN freezes.

If I choose yes I am directed to the install webpage then I close the page. (and go back to PDN)

pdnerror.jpg

BTW yes I have Ver Version 3.3x, 3.5

Thanks

I really don't want a plugin folder full of phoning home Dlls.

The idea of auto-update-plugins may be interesting, especially for the developer, but as a user I reject it.

Besides the fact that it annoys me, it opens a new realm for bugs, freezes and crashes.

I suggest to drop the update-idea and -system, and I also request other plugin authors to not adapt the idea.

And as a side note, some pictures to show the effects in the first post would be nice and of use.

If I choose yes I am directed to the install webpage then I close the page. (and go back to PDN)
The dialog asks "Do you want to download them now?" If you say yes, it opens the page where you can go and download them, so that you can install them later. In other words, if you close the download page, nothing will have happened. Im sorry about the confusion, I hope this clarifies things.
and if I choose no PDN freezes.
Can you provide some more information? Feel free to pm me if you prefer that.

:oops:

I realize now that I was not installing the files correctly.

:roll:

I have resolved my issue by RDTP. (read the darn problem)

I downloaded the .zip

Unzipped

then chose install

Thanks for the help. :oops:

I really don't want a plugin folder full of phoning home Dlls.
I can understand that, but do know I'm not sending any information home. So in a way, it's more like "listening to the radio".
The idea of auto-update-plugins may be interesting, especially for the developer, but as a user I reject it.
To developers, it's a nightmare. More work, more testing, difficult testing actually. The reason why anyone, be it a plug-in developer or any other developer or software company, writes updaters, is that it helps users getting better software more quickly.
Besides the fact that it annoys me, it opens a new realm for bugs, freezes and crashes.
Other have mentioned the anoyance, and I've made changes to address that. Unfortunately, they will have an effect only after a next update. As for the bugs, one reason to put an update out and getting it into users hands, is to fix bugs. That assumes of course that the update mechanism itself is simple (as it is in my case, in fact it's not updating but merely notifying) and properly tested (as I hope it is...).

HEYYYYY this is so cool i love it so so so so so so so muc!

:lol:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love the new Gradient plug-in. Nice work , thanks very much Kris. :D

I also like the way you changed the installer so we can pick and choose which plug-ins we want.

I'm not sure whether this would be a better approach to offering both automatic and manual installation without putting everything in a ZIP file, but if you embed a ZIP file of the plugins in the installer as a resource, some programs such as 7-zip can extract it.

I'm not sure whether this would be a better approach to offering both automatic and manual installation without putting everything in a ZIP file, but if you embed a ZIP file of the plugins in the installer as a resource, some programs such as 7-zip can extract it.
The plugins are embedded in the installer uncompressed, as the installer itself is compressed in a zip file anyway. Secondly, if I put them in compressed, the installer needs to have decompression logic, which makes it bigger (and slower) again. Finally, even uncompressed, some programs such as .NET Reflector can extract them, if you really want to do that.

The plugins are embedded in the installer uncompressed, as the installer itself is compressed in a zip file anyway.

I assumed the reason they were in a ZIP file was to keep both in the same download.

Secondly, if I put them in compressed, the installer needs to have decompression logic, which makes it bigger (and slower) again.

The installer wouldn't necessarily have to use that copy.

Finally, even uncompressed, some programs such as .NET Reflector can extract them, if you really want to do that.

Opening it as a ZIP file would be easier.

I assumed the reason they were in a ZIP file was to keep both in the same download.
Both? Are you referring to the Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Installer.dll? That's not the effects plugin; it's a helper file for the installer. It's only required in a very specific scenario though. Normally you can just open the zip file in Windows and double click Install.exe.