How to Install Plugins ×

Drop Shadow and other effects, KrisVDM's Plugin Pack (updated 2024-03-23) v.5.0.5.0

KrisVDM

Or run Kris' drop shadow on a duplicate under the top layer with widening zero, blur 24 then run gausian blur at about 50-75 with keep original image un-checked ... then duplicate that layer and adjust the opacity to your liking if it is not dark enough to get the same effect ...

In the interest of improving my effect for future versions: do I understand that the problem here is that you'd want (need) the set the blur radius to something between 75 and 100?

Also, if you want the shadow to be darker, one way to get that is to use widening with bluring. As long as widening radius is less than blur radius, you will not get "unblurred" full opacity pixels in your shadow. You can think of the widening happening before the blur. And you can think of the widening as being (more or less) the same as an object outline. But of course, the blur only blurs the shadow, not the original image.

The "keep original image" checkbox is present, precisely to allow this kind of scenario. But if you turn it off, the effect becomes significantly slower. If I understand your needs correctly (i.e. a blur radius of 100 pixels), I'm thinking you'd get your result faster with such a blur range in my effect and "keep original image" on, than having to do these multiple steps with duplicating the layer and separate blur. If that's true, I could increase the ranges in the next version.

(Partial reply as I've been struggling to get some images together to help illustrate my point, but do not wish to seem rude by letting this drag on.)

I realize this is more of a yes or no question ... just trying to figure out how to create examples to see how much scope would be needed for both large canvas work etc. to try and give a complete answer on the main question here.

Also trying to ensure I can demonstrate the difference in the corner aspect of the other shadow/outline effects and the density issue with the widening radius. Short version on density is that even set to 1 it was creating a distinct outline that would have to be compensated for with the opacity setting. Once opacity was turned down (at least in my fast help) I lost enough outer density to show the same form of shadow effect as the other tool was creating.

Regarding the use of multiple layers and not keeping the original: If she was going to use further distortion on the layer underneath, the potential to have the edge of the image extend outward and creating a density issue was why that was recommended. A good for instance is using something like zoom and point blur combinations to create some striation in the shadow. If the original image is still on that layer, it will bleed into the shadow and create issues, especially if in high contrasting color to the shadow being used. Again, this is merely with the idea of pushing distortion or modification to the base effect Drop Shadow can create.

Though I agree with larger range your effect would work fine and much more quickly with being able to do this on a single layer only.

(I'll hopefully get some example shots soon though as I know I'm not doing real well with text on this ...)

Gallery at PDN-Fans

You know, I've been thinking. She didn't need any plugin at all*, because her base image, the one she wants a shadow for, is a clean rectangle, with no transparency.

All she needs to do is use three layers. Bottom one is background, top one is her image.

In the middle one, draw a black rectangle and blur it. Done.

*In fact, a plugin that would be handy to have is my object align plugin, to center the image and black rectangle.

All the years I've been gratefully using Drop-Shadow, I've only just realised the corners are rounded

Of course, they have to be. It's drawing all pixels within a given distance of your object. Imagine a regular octagon. You want the widening (or outline) to be at the same distance everywhere, right? The same for horizontal lines, vertical lines and lines under a 45° angle? Well, that logic gives you a circle around each pixel, and that results in rounded corners.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you put this on PDN?? All I see when I open the zip is "Install" and "Vandermotten.PaintDotNet(Something something)".

Any plugin .dll you download goes into the "effects" folder that's in your paint.net folder.

EffectsFolder.png

There was also this:

http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/1708-how-to-install-pluginsgeneral-plugin-troubleshooting-thread/

Edited by jim100361

These are the only two things it has..

"Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Installer.dll" and "Install" Why aren't the dll's all there? Why do I have to install something??

Nos

These are the only two things it has..

"Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Installer.dll" and "Install" Why aren't the dll's all there? Why do I have to install something??

Kris just does it this way. From the top of the thread though, this part of the description may have been helpful in this instance:

"This version contains an installer. Just run the installer, it will ask you which effects you want to install and copy the required dll's into the Paint.NET effects folder. It will make no other modifications to your system."

Gallery at PDN-Fans

Kris just does it this way. From the top of the thread though, this part of the description may have been helpful in this instance:

"This version contains an installer. Just run the installer, it will ask you which effects you want to install and copy the required dll's into the Paint.NET effects folder. It will make no other modifications to your system."

Oh, Sorry! I should have read that. xD

Thanks!

Nos

• 1 month later...

Why does this need an installation wrapper?

Are the DLLs available loose? This box isn't [yet] setup with VM to extracting such manually

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi all! I'm completely new to this forum and have just today downloaded paint.net. Later, after trying to fade the borders of my image unsuccessfully, I finally downloaded fade edge plugin for Effects. Now that it's downloaded it fades the edges in squares format. In other words, the fade isn't strictly whitish. It is done in squares of gray and white. Can anyone help me fix this?

Hey John.  

In paint.net, the grey and white squares denote transparency (i.e. transparent areas).  If you save the image in a file format which supports transparency (like png and not jpg) the image will allow the background to show through.

So when fading the edge, seeing grey and white checkerboard pattern is normal.  Be assured you're fading the edge to transparent ;)

Welcome to the forum :)

• 5 months later...

How do I get the drop shadow to show up in the image.  I've added it several times, adjusting the settings each time, but the drop shadow never appears.  I'm using a .png file.

Hi and welcome carlssabotta!

That particular effect needs to be run over an object (collection of pixels) on an otherwise transparent layer.  DropShadow needs to find a transparent edge in order to have somewhere to place the shadow.

If your image is one filled layer then DropShadow appears to do nothing when run.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I'm new to paint.net.

Is the installer not working for anyone else? I make sure to unpack the files, but the executable crashes whenever I try it. I have the latest vesion of paint.net and windows 7.

Hi @Chamm and @Mellon.

The link on the first page is working fine for me too.

It is this link and you must click on the large Blue download button:

http://users.telenet.be/krisvandermotten/Downloads/PaintDotNetEffects.html

And here is what you should see after you have unzipped the file:

vhtKltl.png

Hope it works for you soon.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I've just noticed that every time at first run when I use Kri's Average blur or drop shadow effect, PDN requests an internet connection in background. Any explanation ?

9JD0jrK.jpg

Edited by Ilko

I've just noticed that every time at first run when I use Kri's Average blur or drop shadow effect, PDN requests an internet connection in background. Any explanation ?

Interesting. It's downloading this XML document: http://users.telenet.be/krisvandermotten/Downloads/PaintDotNetEffects.xml

From looking at the contents of the document, I'm not sure what the purpose of the download would be. I'm guessing Kris was playing with some functionality, and forgot to remove it. Let's wait to hear it from the horse's mouth though.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Yep it seems harmless, that file contains some infos and credits. The problem (to me) is that there is no prompt for the user. From there a redirection to a less safe place might be possible or whatever unsafe things.

• 8 months later...