How to Install Plugins ×

Drop Shadow and other effects, KrisVDM's Plugin Pack (updated 2024-03-23) v.5.0.5.0

KrisVDM

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
may be you add to drop shadow effect new regulator - transparency shadow,where we can make transparency of the shadow

Several people asked for this, so I finally decided to implement it. Version 3.3 of the Drop Shadow effect now has a shadow opacity setting.

I've also optimized the effect significantly. On big images with relatively small objects, the effect is now a lot faster, especially when using large widening and blur values.

One recommendation - maybe nonsense: I'd rather do Drop Shadow in the Object submenu, which is not built-in but common if you use popular effects like Feather or Outline Object.

I don't think Stylize is the appropriate place for it - considering the other effects in the menu. "Object" however comes better to my mind.

Makes sense, so did that too.

Download from my download page.

• 4 weeks later...
Just updated. Thanks Chris. I think it was a good idea to move the drop shadow and its always nicer to have separate dll`s. Nice one :wink:

Yes, separate DLL's is definitely a plus. Thanks for updating (whoever created this plugin)!

• 2 weeks later...
Funny bug with 3.5 Alpha...
I haven't tested the effects under the alpha so far. I do intend to update all effects as soon as a 3.5 beta is available.

In the meantime, you might consider reporting this to Rick too.

Edit:

Turns out this was a problem with version 3.1 of my effects. Version 3.3 does not have that problem. If you experience the same problem, I suggest you upgrade to the latest version of my effects.

In fact, I suggest you upgrade even if you don't have the problem. The new version has more features and is a lot faster.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I downloaded it right, but there is an error:

1 of 1

--------------

File: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.Blurs.dll

Effect Name: Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.SmartEffect

Full error message: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.SmartEffect' from assembly 'Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

The post above probably has crappy art.. Just look past that

:D

Could not load type 'Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.SmartEffect' from assembly 'Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Like I said in my original post:

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.dll: You allways need this dll. It includes the framework used by the other dll's.

Could not load type 'Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.SmartEffect' from assembly 'Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.

Like I said in my original post:

Vandermotten.PaintDotNetEffects.dll: You allways need this dll. It includes the framework used by the other dll's.

So how do I get that dll?

I've done that and still the same problem. Nevermind though, It's not gonna work and I'm tired of taking forever trying to fix plugins :x

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I´m getting a 5-15 sec lag when starting Paint.net 3.5.1 in Windows 7 RC b7260 32-bit with the latest Vandermotten plugins (with all or a single dll). There´s no CPU usage and no plugin load errors, the app just doesn´t respond for 5-15 sec.

My rig:

Pentium Dual Core E2180

3GB RAM

160GB HDD

in Windows 7 RC b7260 32-bit

Can you try it on a a released OS? Are you sure that the delay disappears when you delete (or move) the dlls from the effects folder?

So far, I have never seen such behavior, and I have tested on XP 32 bit, Vista 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. Anyone else seen this?

• 3 weeks later...

I had drop shadow, but i had to restore my new Laptop, so i reinstalled Paint.net and downloaded your pack, but i cant find drop shadow anywhere in my effects. its definately in my effects folder in Paint.net so where is it. Under which effect should it be found exactly? I tried reinstalling but it's saying it's already there. Help, i use this all the time....

• 1 month later...

Whenever I start up PDN now I keep getting a pop up asking me if I want to update to the latest version of your effects . I downloaded the update but the effects were not individual dll files , just an installer. I therefore decided against installing the update. Now though the pop up keeps appearing . Is this going to happen continually until I DO install the new versions? I think this is out of order and you should be just posting the updates in the plug in thread and leaving the choice to install them to the individual concerned.

How do I stop this pop up from appearing? :evil:

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Whenever I start up PDN now I keep getting a pop up asking me if I want to update to the latest version of your effects . I downloaded the update but the effects were not individual dll files , just an installer. I therefore decided against installing the update. Now though the pop up keeps appearing . Is this going to happen continually until I DO install the new versions? I think this is out of order and you should be just posting the updates in the plug in thread and leaving the choice to install them to the individual concerned.

How do I stop this pop up from appearing? :evil:

Yes, with the current code the pop-up will appear until you install the new version (or remove the old one). And indeed, the new version features an installer. Just double-click it. It will ask you which effects you want to install. It then just copies the required dll's into the correct folder. It makes no other modifications to your system and there is no spyware.

BTW, when I uploaded the file, it was virus free. But as with anything you download from the internet, you should check it before you run it.

You have a point when you say I should leave people the choice. And in a way I do: you are free to remove my effects if you want to. But I also noticed that I get a lot of questions. Just scan through this thread here. Many questions are about bugs that have long been fixed, or incompatibilities of old versions with more recent versions of Paint.NET. So I thought it would help people if I'd let them know there is a new version. Most people don't check that when they have a problem. Also, the new version is actually better than the previous one (faster, wider range of parameter values, etc.) A lot of other questions are about how to install the dll's. To help those people, I created the installer. In short: I hope and believe this wil benefit a lot of my users. I'm sorry if it offended you.

One final question, out of curiosity. You don't seem to have a problem with running arbitrary code that you download from the internet in full trust on you machine, since that's what you do when you install third-party effects. Why do you have a problem with running an installer? Was it the "I need administrative rights" dialog that scared you? If you have an operating system that gives you that dialog, you also get that question when you install effects manually... And you get it when you install Paint.NET. So what makes this one different?

Note: Personally, I trust the installer, but i'm still against it being the only option.

Yes, with the current code the pop-up will appear until you install the new version (or remove the old one).

I don't know, as I haven't received such a popup, but Goonfella's post implies it shows when you first start Paint.NET. If so, IMO it should only show when you run an effect.

And indeed, the new version features an installer. Just double-click it. It will ask you which effects you want to install. It then just copies the required dll's into the correct folder. It makes no other modifications to your system and there is no spyware.

BTW, when I uploaded the file, it was virus free. But as with anything you download from the internet, you should check it before you run it.

Also, if the installer bothers you and you really want the effects, Reflector can extract the DLLs from the installer.

One final question, out of curiosity. You don't seem to have a problem with running arbitrary code that you download from the internet in full trust on you machine, since that's what you do when you install third-party effects. Why do you have a problem with running an installer?

Unless you're using XP with an admin account, code without elevation cannot format the hard disk nor delete files owned by other users.

If you have an operating system that gives you that dialog, you also get that question when you install effects manually...

But it is elevating Windows Explorer, not a 3rd-party program. Additionally, IIRC if you're using Windows 7 with the default UAC level, you don't see it.

KaHuc.png

To start with the installer issue first Kris, I had never had a PDN plugin that used an installer before and assumed that this meant all the plugins would be installed - even the ones I don`t need. So that was the reason I decided against using it at first, preferring to see if anyone else had installed the update and how they got on.However once I had chosen not to use it I did not expect to see the pop up appearing every time I started up PDN. This was rather irritating.

What also concerned me was that there was no mention of the update in this thread. That`s what made me a little suspicious about spyware. Please in future if you are updating this way say so in the thread. It would mean less confusion all round. By the way I scan ALL files that I download before I even extract them from the zip file.

In the end, like you say, I had nothing to worry about. I did use the installer and it was very efficient and gave me the option of not installing certain plugins and even just installed the new ones over the old so I never had to fish around in the Effects folder deleting the old ones first before copying the new ones in which did save a lot of time. Nice idea. I chose to get all of them in the end and they are all excellent plugins and for this I am very grateful . Thanks very much for creating them.

I can appreciate the need to have the latest versions of any plugin . It `s not fair to complain about bugs that have been fixed in newer versions . I can understand the idea behind informing people that updated ones are ready to be installed. In fact when I first saw the pop up I went straight to your website and dowloaded them . It was my surprise at the method used which threw me a bit but mainly the fact that I could not stop the pop up put me off . Maybe you could code the update to show a pop up to inform users, but once it was acted upon, either proceeding with the update or not, it would no longer appear. At least then people would know about the update. They could then install them in their own time from this thread.

So thanks for replying to my concerns. I guess I was a bit frustrated when I wrote the earlier post, I don`t usually include the mad smilie in posts. Sorry about that. No hard feelings I hope. :wink:

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN