Location of Flatten Layers Menu option

It seems to me that the option to Flatten Layers should reside in the Layers menu and not the Image menu.

It seems intuitive that if you perform layer operations that you would look in that menu to flatten the image prior to saving as a jpg or bmp file.

What made things more confusing for me is that the option to flatten an image is not mentioned in the help under the section relating to layers.

I would also suggest adding a flatten layer button to the layer palette.

What made things more confusing for me is that the option to flatten an image is not mentioned in the help under the section relating to layers.

(See emphasis up there)

That's the age-old question. I've seen it in both menu listings in different programs. See, you are working with layers, so it would make sense if it were under the Layer menu, but you're also compressing the entire image into one layer, so it makes sense for it to be under the Image menu as well.

At least PDN got the Layers -> Adjustments thing right. Stupid PhotoShop: Why put something that only effects the selected layer under the Image menu!? Alright, I'm done ranting now...

We'll have to see what Rick thinks about this one. He's the usibility guru! :D

I'm used to both ways, so I really can't render a decision as to which is better. And I'm not on the dev team, so I have no authority to make decisions anyway!

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Flattening affects the entire image ... hence it is in the Image menu. It does make sense to mention it in the Layers section of the help file though.

"Flatten" used to be in the Layers menu, in v2.1 and before (iirc). I found myself always going to the Image menu looking for Flatten, and then going "oops, it's in Layers". I decided it was in the wrong place, so I moved it.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Strange when I start working with layers I assume I'm going to need to flatten the image and look in the layers menu. But that's becuaee I've used Photoshop and I can see the other point of view.

So how about the compromise of leaving the option in the Image menu, but adding a button to the layers palette.

It would require a "Are you sure...." confirmation dialog in case users hit it by mistake.

A mention in the layers section of help would be great.