Increasing quality of zoomed images

Kreeos

Is there any way to increase the quality of zoomed images? What I want to do is what you see them do in movies and TV shows where they zoom into a part of the picture, it's all blurry, then they do something and it becomes like if it were never zoomed. If paint.net can't do it could someone refer me to a program that can? Thanks in advance.

They probably use optical zoom and refocus the lenses. Optical zoom works by bending the light that reaches the camera, so the image stays sharp. Digital zoom works with pixels, so to zoom in, the computer has to create more pixels by analyzing the existing pixels. Computers cannot create extra detail that didn't already exist, so you cannot increase the quality of a digitally zoomed image with any program.

What I want to do is what you see them do in movies and TV shows where they zoom into a part of the picture, it's all blurry, then they do something and it becomes like if it were never zoomed.

Ah, the magic of Hollywood...increasing people's expectations for decades. :-)

The fact is, they're right - the programs that Hollywood use do not exist in the real world. What they do is either take a really big picture and zoom it out, then play the clip backwards, or take two pictures: one zoomed out, and one zoomed in. Optical zoom is the only way to do this.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

What I want to do is what you see them do in movies and TV shows where they zoom into a part of the picture, it's all blurry, then they do something and it becomes like if it were never zoomed.

Ah, the magic of Hollywood...increasing people's expectations for decades. :-)

The fact is, they're right - the programs that Hollywood use do not exist in the real world. What they do is either take a really big picture and zoom it out, then play the clip backwards, or take two pictures: one zoomed out, and one zoomed in. Optical zoom is the only way to do this.

Darn it, lol. Well there goes my idea, lol.

Another thing they might do is with their brilliant quality cameras and fast computers they can probably just compress the whole thing to the level of the zoomed in image without losing much quality.

KaHuc.png