Sign in to follow this  
k.digennaro

looking to buy a new lap top. need some advice.

Firewire supports transfer speeds up to 400MBit/s. USB2 supports transfer speeds up to 480MBit/s. Since USB2 is faster and more well-adopted, it is the wave of the future.

Firewire supports transfer speeds up to 400MBit/s. USB2 supports transfer speeds up to 480MBit/s. Since USB2 is faster and more well-adopted, it is the wave of the future.

Wasn't USB2 released ages ago?

I think that USB's brand recognition would give it a huge advantage. There are vastly fewer IEEE devices than USB devices.

Alternatively, I'd think they could both exist in (relative) harmony; USB for consumer applications, FireWire targeted to professional apps.

Everything uses USB anyway, seems like it'd be less trouble to upgrade them to USB3.0 (most are already USB2) then to make them FireWire.

Besides, every computer I have ever had had only 2 FireWire ports. In contrast, my computer has 10 USB ports (and I bet they're 2.0)

But there is also USB 3.0 - or at least there will be soon

Ten?!?

I have four. And one IEEE.

Why on earth would you need 10?

(Oh, wait. They said that about 1GB hard drives, too, didn't they? *sigh* ;-) Carp.)

That still seems like a bit of overkill, though.

Ten?!?

I have four. And one IEEE.

Why on earth would you need 10?

(Oh, wait. They said that about 1GB hard drives, too, didn't they? *sigh* ;-) Carp.)

That still seems like a bit of overkill, though.

I'm a gamer with a gaming case, and I have only 8 USB ports, unless you count my docks and other extras, in which case I have 13.

I have a Tablet, a mouse (which I never use), a couple of flash drives (which are plugged in as needed), an MP3 player (again, plugged in as needed), a couple of game controllers (which are rarely used), and a keyboard somewhere.

Oh, wait, that's a PS/2 device. So, maybe 8 items, tops - but no more than 3 at any one time.

so is that computer worth the money? the video card doesnt have to be out of this world, im dont play any video games so im not to worried about it, id rather spend more money on a better sound card. those are both things that are easy to upgrade after the fact.

You'd need better speakers as well then

Otherwise you'll get away with software emulation without noticeable difference.. (except maybe some of the rarer midi instruments)

Even without playing games though those GMA things are too expensive for their power. For the some money you might have any GeForce 6800 (yes that thing is ancient) which is at least 5 times as good.

You'd need better speakers as well then

Otherwise you'll get away with software emulation without noticeable difference.. (except maybe some of the rarer midi instruments)

Even without playing games though those GMA things are too expensive for their power. For the some money you might have any GeForce 6800 (yes that thing is ancient) which is at least 5 times as good.

thanks i think that pc will be a winner, ill keep looking till the day i buy it (hopefully soon). im not to worried about speakers because i have external ones, and i have a 500 dollar set of stereo monitors that are like 500 wats a piece :P lol

Avoid Dell. I'm on my fifth motherboard.

FIFTH.

A friend of mine has owned a Dell for the past three years with no problems.

What's this got to do with buying a new laptop?

Keep on topic.