Recolor problem

qwertyasdf

I seem to be running into a problem where if I have a moderate amount of tolerance set to the recolor and the color I'm replacing is too close to the original color of the picture, the recolor tool will go over the section multiple times until it just looks distorted. For example, If I try to replace a blue sky with a purple one, the areas of the picture where the new purple recolor is similar to blue color that is replaced will be replaced again until it generates a purple color either completely saturated or one that's far enough away from the original color that it doesn't fall under the tolerance anymore. The result is while some areas are recolored correctly, others are affected by the recolor more than once. It seems that the Recolor tool works by recoloring the area selected /every time/ you move the mouse, so that the initially recolored area is recolored again multiple times, you just don't notice because usually the first recolored area is different enough that it won't be affected again. Is there any way to make it so the recolor tool only affects the picture one time for each click*and hold* of the tool? *by the way, I have tried just clicking once instead of holding but get the same result* Any help is appreciated.

Well I downloaded it and I'm gonna give it a shot, though this does seem kinda like a small glitch in the program, think I should post this in the Troubleshooting & Bug Report area?

Before you post it to the troubleshooting section, I'd be curious to see the image in question. If you could post the image here so we could see it, we'd have a better idea of what you mean

Alright, here's an example.

This a picture of all i thought was relevant. first is the picture itself *top left*, which the first third is the original picture*part of a blue flame*, the second third is using the recolor on a part of it, holding the button down but not moving the mouse at all. That's what it /should/ look like with a single recolor. the third part is what it looks like if you either move the mouse or let go of the button where the recolor activates again and affects the areas that are still similar enough to fall into the tolerance range. I've got the original and recolor colors I used for the example along with the tolerance, that should be everything, let me know if you need any more. ^^

12324_79357ac61126d3fc0baceb8e32c98804

Maybe I'm still not following...

And maybe someone with more experience will chime in as well.

I took your example image, and typed in the HEX colors so I was using the same colors as you, and set the tolerance the same, but I never got the picture to look distorted. I even tried multiple times, releasing the mouse button and reclicking it.

What brush width are you using at the top? For the examples below I used a brush width of 100 so it did the whole flame in one pass. Maybe that might be it?

The examples I've posted below are when I changed it to the purple color, and then back to the blue color.

11001_3d8fc94e990001f6ac574f5a7578bab9

11001_f1f08c718efbf3cf7cc2eb4208f0eeb5

Huh, I had brush width of 100 too, and it looks like there's nothing wrong with what you did.... try one more time with a higher tolerance... What operating system are you using? *for the record, I'm using the most recent PaintDotNet version* I'm gonna try it on the other computer here.

I've got Vista Home Premium 32-Bit, running on a dual 2.00GHz processor with 3GB of memory using a GeForce 8500 GT vid card...

I tried it again, this time with a 60% tolerance level and did notice some weirdness.

When I first tried to recolor it, the most intense blue at the outer edge of the flame went to a maroon type color while the inside of the flame where it wasn't as saturated went pink. (example4)

Then when I recolored it back to blue, the pink area turned to a teal color, and the maroon color turned to a green. (example5)

11001_1abb4341fc08833fe37adf368c59bbc1

11001_47fd7950340d2b4b674f4f885f3be84c

11001_c49f4e03feea5ad4941996555b80bc66

huh... this is kinda odd... *i had the same problem with this computer 'vista' and the other, 'XP'* ah well, I'll stick with the conditional recolor for now, it's a nice tool and it removes a lot of the inconvenience of my malfunctioning recolor. ^^