Ok Need Some! Tutorials that step by step through Projects!

What is needed by me is like a complete course that starts with a minimial understanding of graphics programs. And starts with ok let's create a picture from scratch.

I need something that takes me step by step for each kind of tools and how

changing thier values effects this that and so on and so on.

Modules based complete in the can. The ones here are great as general get it

done kinda of thing. But dosn't go into much of explanation of how and why u

click on this or adjust this to that value.

Any help to Web-based tutorials,downloadable docs,freeware or just good books to start with that would step me through the simple to complex art of creating graphics.

Would be welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

Yeah, I know what you mean. I've had one of those planned for quite some time, I've just never gotten that round tuit thing...

I've been really busy these last few weeks: The end of the quarter is upon me, meaning Final Projects all around. But I've finished those, and I only have 1 final left to take, then I can give it a shot.

I plan on assuming absolute novicity (is that even a word?)* when I make it, explaining as much as I can so that anyone can understand it, regardless of experience with image editors. In my tutorials, I tend to brush over some things, as they're second nature to me. I'll have to keep myself in check.

I'll let you know when I've started it, and when I've finished it. Then you can give me some feedback about how easy it is to understand, if you'd be so kind :wink:.

Dan

*dictionary.reference.com says no-go for novicity:

No entry found for novicity.

Did you mean Novity?

Suggestions:

Novity

noviciate

nervosity

nicety

novice

nodosity

novitiate

vivacity

novelty

novices

(et cetera)

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

Just a quick post, so I'll get notice if you post to here after creating the "novice tutes"!

I'm interested in creating "country" style graphics for websets or templates. Does Paint.net have work very much like any of the big name programs? If so, I could use tutes meant for that program, too!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed Paint.NET last night. It seems to work great, now I need to get my simple mind to learn how to use all the features. So I am really looking forward to any tutorials for folks starting at "square one". This is all so amazing to me and a Thank You to everyone who made it possible.

Cuggie

• 4 weeks later...

Whew!

At least now I know I'm not alone, lol!

I just installed Paint.NET the other day, and already I love it! I can use most of the tools - brushes and stuff, in simple ways; but I'm missing some major concepts. I only have a general understanding of Layers, and can only conceive of a couple of ways in which they might be useful. Yet when I read the tutorials, it's obvious that Layers are the entire basis for achieving most of the desired effects.

So, I would really like to add my voice to those expressing a need for tutorials covering some very, very basic "hows and whys"!

(I did read the instructions for posting in this forum, which among other things "Restrict your requests in this forum to the ones that are related to achieving specific effects or results." So clearly my request is inappropriately posted here. But I thought better to add it to several other similar requests, than start a new thread, all by itself in the General forum. Um....and....that includes better for my embarassment level over not understanding even the most basic concepts of the program ;))

Anyway, thanks for listening :D

I'll keep following the forums for more on this issue ;)

All best.

Hey, it's me again; just had an idea!

Since posting my previous message (in this thread), I've been "going at it" in Paint.NET by trial and error. It certainly is frustrating, but I'm making headway, little by little. I've also been feeling a little bad about requesting tutorials, because I'm guessing all you professionals (and others involved) are probably unbelievabley busy. I'm sure the only reason these tutorials haven't been made yet, is because you simply haven't found the time.

So I'm wondering how it would be if members like me, who are motivated to share what they learn, started posting what we learn? It would be rather "catch as catch can" -- with folks sharing whatever they happen to have "tackled" ("mastered" probably isn't appropriate here ;))

Another point, as I was signing in to post this idea, I noticed that the several threads in this forum whose topic is these tutorials for novice members, have thousands and thousands of Views (all together), even though there are only a handful of posted messages. (They're probably all being very polite, and patiently waiting, unlike me, probably being more vocal than is good for me!) There is a current topic in the General forum expressing the fact out of nearly 1000 members, only a few post regularly. Well, a look at the Page Views in these threads about tutorials for novices might partially explain these low percentages.

And just brainstorming here, maybe this should happen in a novices' forum, or maybe right here in this one? Would moderating such a forum, or groups of threads take any more or less time than writing the tutorials? I don't know, I really, just don't know. But allowing beginners to start posting what they've learned and share tips and info, at least not ALL of those thousands will turn away. I feel certain that such a group, of beginners helping beginners, would populate itself in a very short amount of time.

So, I guess that's about the long and short of it! It's just an idea, so please forgive me if I'm out of line. It just seems this would be a place to start, which could happen right away, where it seems the tutorials themselves are on some indefinite schedule of production.

Best wishes :)

Posting Tutorials, or whatever you tell it, is the goal of this section. So start posting what you learn!

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

@ Bob

I couldn't agree with you more!

@ Brynn

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Are you implying you would like to see more "concept" tutorials, in which they would explain why you would want to do this instead of just how to do this?

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Hi again,

Wow, thanks for everyone's comments :D

BuzzKill and Bob, there are 2 reasons I'm suggesting perhaps a different forum for novices. One is because all the info I've read in this (Tutorials) forum seems advanced to me (I'm not a rank beginner, maybe an advanced beginner ;)). Most of it is a bit intimidating, at this point, and posting either what I've learned so far (for example, 'how to draw a curved line', 'how to select colors', 'how to draw shapes', 'basic use of colors' 'basic cut/paste techniques', etc.), or questions I'm having (for example, 'what is antialiasing', 'what is alpha blending', 'how to use the recolor tool', how to use the clone stamp', etc, etc) -- to me, these things would seem out of place among what's already posted.

The other reason is, I guess, a bit more complicated. By the lack of basic info for beginners in the program, and the lack of novice Q's in the forums, I wonder if Paint.NET is intended to be an advanced tool for advanced users. And if it is, then maybe such questions as my examples above would not be addressed with the kind of patience which beginners often need (if not always).

"I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Are you implying you would like to see more "concept" tutorials, in which they would explain why you would want to do this instead of just how to do this?"

BuzzKill, it may be that I'm lacking the proper terminology to clearly express what I'm asking for. I think what you define as "concept" tutorials would definitely enhance users' experience, at any level. What I'm suggesting is different.... One thing that I find incredibly frustrating and confusing, about computers in general, and most programs (programs of any kind), including Paint.NET, is that there is usually more than one way to do just about everything. And often there are several ways to accomplish a particular goal. But once one is aware of all the different ways to accomplish a particular goal, and how the goal is accomplished by the different techniques, usually one way (occasionally 2) turns out to be the best way. So when I would ask "how to do this", I would want to know all the ways it could be done, and what makes the ways different, and why the best one is the best one (what about the best way makes it the best for a particular use).

Ivos, I hope you do not feel pressured by these requests. I understand and truly respect that everything about PdN is a volunteer effort.

Well, thanks for listening, everyone. I hope I have worded all my comments in a positive way, rather than as complaints. It's my intention to contribute, in this very small way -- not to complain :)

the lack of basic info for beginners in the program

Help > Help Topics.

I can't tell this a lack of basic info.

There is 300 words, 24 lines and 3 pictures just to explain "how to draw a line".

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

It really is not my intention to nit-pick, criticize, or complain. I've read almost every page in the Help files, and find them lacking...or else I never would have posted here, requesting a tutorial and brainstorming alternatives. If every tool, menu item, and feature of PdN were described in as much depth and detail as the Line/Curve Tool, I would not be posting here. I do find roughly half of the Help files to contain enough breadth and detail to get me started using those particular tools and/or features. But the other approx. half leave me guessing. And by the number of page Views on the threads asking about tutorials for beginners, I realize I'm not alone.

I have had another idea, meanwhile. If these beginner type questions are not appropriate for this forum, then I suppose someone could start a forum for them. There are plenty of free message board deals around, which would serve the purpose. Although I personally don't have time to lead such a venture.

But I'm not sure my original questions about whether beginners can post in this forum, the type of comments and questions for which I gave examples, has been answered. Should I assume then that it's ok, and go ahead and start posting -- in the spirit of beginners helping beginners? Or is it still not clear what I'm asking?

Thanks for everyone's patience with me thus far. No matter what, I still think Paint.NET is a great program!

I think I've misunderstanded what you mean by "beginner info".

What you want is not really Paint.NET-only focused, but is a Tutorial course which explain more professionnal tools like Curves, Levels, etc. Isn't it?

Um....so are you saying that the tools available in Paint.NET are similar to the same tools in other graphics programs? If so, then yes, that's what I'm asking.

Although, to a beginner like me, this begs the question -- if tools in many, or most, or all Paint-type graphics programs are so similar, or work in the same basic way, what makes these programs different??? I would have thought that each graphics program must offer something unique, that all the other programs don't have. But it sounds like maybe you're saying they are much more alike than they are different?

I started this thread to get people and ideas flowing. I see that has been achieved.

I think both the How and Why's are valid points. It has always been a pev of mine. That programmer's are talented and busy people, But are nortorious lacking in novice documentation. And I understand that a programmer is concentrated on the code. Making it Faster,Leaner, more powerful.

Documentation,Tutor docs are time consuming and hard to implement so that it reaches the masses without being to dumbed down.

But there are some great people here trying to address this issue and hope to see this area grow and grow.

Keep them coming user's every little bit helps

Um....so are you saying that the tools available in Paint.NET are similar to the same tools in other graphics programs?

...if tools in many, or most, or all Paint-type graphics programs are so similar, or work in the same basic way, what makes these programs different??? I would have thought that each graphics program must offer something unique, that all the other programs don't have.

I'll jump in the conversation!

Let's liken this to cars. Whether you get a used Chevy or a new Aston Martin, they each have gas and brake pedals, turn signals, wiper controllers, et cetera. The Aston, though, may have extra features like a 5 Disc CD changer, traction control, that sort of thing. The Rectangle and Elliptical selection tools, Paintbrush, Brightness and Contrast adjustment, Hue and Saturation adjustment, et cetera, are the gas and brake pedals of the graphical app world.

It makes sense that one shouldn't have to learn a completely new system to do the basic things every app needs just because you're using a different raster image editing app. PhotoShop has a few extra features that other apps don't, but it also costs bunches more (through legal channels). The biggest difference between graphics apps is the interface. Some are more approachable than others, and some are a bit more difficult to wrangle (GIMP, anyone?:wink:).

It may seem a bit copy-catish, but it's better this way. For instance, once you know how to do something in Paint.NET, you'll know basically what tools you'll need to do it again if you ever jump over to PhotoShop.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Wow, good find!

I'm waching the "installation" tutorials where he actually starts out with no prior knowledge of Paint.NET. Definitely highlights some ways I can make it easier :)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 8 months later...

Well, I have just watched the first 2 videos, the installation 'epics' :D

I think the original aim of this thread was to get some 'basics' for those of us without prior image editing skills. Things like Layers, grabbing parts of images and resizing, re-colouring etc.......

The installation tutorials show you how to install PDN, which hopefully is good for some people. I then watched the LassoLayers video, which is better, but nothing that you would not really have discovered by messing around yourself.

There is still a big hole here, and these are not specifically PDN skills, rather basic image editing skills. I believe that these have not yet been addressed as per the original point of this thread. I will have a look around and see if I can find some good stuff and post back if successful.

P