That 'glossy' effect

When you come to draw anything that needs anti-aliased lines, then do make sure you have Anti-Aliasing active:

:AntiAliasingOff: - Anti-Aliasing off;

:AntiAliasingOn: - Anti-Aliasing on.

You can see where these are located in Paint.NET here:

http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/en/Toolbar.html.

I would suggest to just re-draw that shine.

If, however, you feel the need to anti-alias an aliased line, then use Search (http://www.searchpaint.net) to look for the plugins Anti-Alias, Basic Anti-Alias and Feather, as these, to a certain degree, help to reduce this. Try them all out and see which works best for the circumstance you need it for.

Search can also be used to find answers to these kind of problems, too ;).

Does this help?

Well, there are two ways that can be used for that shine - the way you just described, and my preferred way:

Your method (slightly modified):

- instead of using an elliptical selection, use the Ellipse Shape Tool ( :EllipseTool: ) on a new layer positioning where you want it, and in what colour you want it (don't forget to enable AA :AntiAliasingOn: ). This may take some tinkering;

- one the same layer, use the Gradient Tool in Transparency Mode (from this: :AllColorChannels: to this: :AlphaChannel:) and draw your gradient across. When you come to apply it, it will become apparent what it does and how to do it.

My preferred method (not necessarily the right method, mind):

- on a new layer as always, use the Line / Curve Tool ( :LineCurveTool: ) in the colour of your shine to draw from one top corner to the other, then adjust the nubs to give it the curve. Again, this will be apparent when you try this.

• - if you use the right mouse button, instead of the left, to manipulate the nubs, you can achieve a Bezier Curve, which is a much smoother curve than a regular one. This is optional but still try it out, anyway.

- fill the space in, where your shine will be, with the Paint Bucket ( :PaintBucketTool: ) and a high tolerance (http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/en/T ... #Tolerance) - between 50% and 60% should be enough;

- you can either lower the opacity of the layer (Layers > Layer Properties) or use the above method of gradation to achieve the gloss effect.

Both the above techniques allow an anti-aliased shine for your userbar, faux-metal or other works which require a reflection.

Does this help?

Please keep mean, off-topic posts to yourself. Thank you. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I agree that he should have asked for help sooner, but I admire his tenacity. Either way, try to keep off-topic posts to yourself, especially when your post contains nothing pertinent to the question.. Thank you! :-D

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.