Paint.NET Setup Front-End has encountered a problem...

mbarber

On trying to open Paint.NET I received this error (below). I had not made any changes to my system, nor my Paint.NET version, it just wouldn't open.

"Paint.NET Setup Front-End has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

My System:

Dell Latitude D630

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8GHz

2GB Ram

What I have tried, same error after each:

Uninstalling/deleting directory

Downloading the latest version (3.22)

Repairing .NET Framework 2.0

Downloading/Installing .NET Framework 3.0

Installing under a different profile

There is no log in the windows temp file

Windows Installer Cleanup Util does not show a Paint.NET instance

Dell's sometimes have problems with the Embassy Truse Suite, but it has not changed on my system.

I installed v3.08 (skyorb download) when I got this notebook, and it ran fine installing all updates including beta releases. v3.22 worked fine also, then it just wouldn't open.

Event viewer reports a problem with the framework, but i've either repaired each version or reinstalled. It makes me think there may be something else that isn't letting the application and the framework talk to each other.

Well, since I haven't seen any help from the forum admin, or the development team, i am just going to reimage my system. I'll also create an image of my current setup and I will compare to the fresh image to look for any differences that may pinpoint this problem.

I will post again when I find more information.

Sorry about the lack of response. I imagine most people have had the same reaction as I - being flummoxed. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

It's the .NET framework even though you reinstalled it many times. Get rid of all the .NET frameworks and download Framework 3.5 , restart your computer and see if it works.

No, he's already repaired the framework. That should take care of any problems he has.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Well the multiple installs of the framework means that something isn't working. What does installing the framework multiple times change? Something else has to be in the mix, just saying install it 5 times doesn't fly for me because it means that something either in the registry or something isn't right.

I've been an engineer long enough to know that just being told what way to "get around" the problem doesn't help the development team with their programming responses. I'd like to help fix my problem, as well as help these guys (developers) who are doing such a great job with the Paint.NET application, build a large knowledgebase for their application for future support.

Thanks to all for the help, keep me posted. I will do the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the exact same problem. All of a sudden my Paint.net stopped working. Nothing had been added or changed on this computer.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled NET Framework 2.0 three times. I then downloaded the Microsoft clean up utility to completely get rid of Framework 2.0. Downloaded a fresh 2.0 it installed just fine. I downloaded Paint.net 3.22 again. The Paint.net 3.22 still will not install. I receive this message: "Paint.NET Setup Front-End has encountered a problem and needs to close."

I love Paint.net and am quite sad about not being able to use it any longer. My OS is XP.

I truly hope a resolution can be found for this problem.

Skystars5banner2.jpg