Tutorials for children

rhona.faulkner

• 4 weeks later...

If any of you have some nice ideas that i can use with my children then i'd be really greatful. I'm going to try them with the glow shapes tutorial, as it seems relatively simple for them.

Exactly what age group are they...? I'm sure we can narrow down the tutorials easily in terms of expertise and present many good ones.

Look through the locked tutorials in that section... they are generally condsidered too simple, but might be good for the age group you are teaching (...which is?)

Wow. A Class that uses Paint.NET. Now that's sweet. :D

I make my tutorials simple to follow, but they are only to add effects to images that were already made.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Well, my tutorials are child friendly, albeit a bit long (especially the Inset Orb one), so they might be a little complicated.

I would recommend the Helio Ignite Sig tutorial for starters (since its shorter). You can find the links to my tutorials (yes, all 2 of them!) in my sig.

Hope this helps. :D

Call me expired. Please.

th_Energyv2.png

Don't go counting your chickens before the pack of rabid ravaging foxes attacks. -Sozo

Im glad to see people posting in this thread again, i thought i was a great idea.

Maybe you could make a list of things you would like to teach your kids to draw?

Like for instance: I want to teach them to make a ball with shape 3D.

Or i want to teach them to draw a person with PDN.

I could help to create tuts then, There are a lot of sig tuts, but iono if thats what your looking to teach your students

japannese.jpg

Support Our Troops, End The War

I'm not Rhona but I also am using Paint.NET to teach kids intro. to computer graphics. They love it. I would be thrilled to see some kid friendly tutorials! They really like morphing things together (especially animals) and the primary issue is with blending and feathering them at the point of juncture (where the two pieces come together). But really, any basic skills tutorial would be so helpful. I always spend the first 15-20 minutes explaining the new skill (and demonstrating it on the overhead screen) but there are always certain students who need to have it re-explained to them (sometimes repeatedly). It would be fantastic to be able to point them to a tutorial as a back up. I think some of them need to have the written and visual aids for their own learning style.

Thanks for all of your hard work on this great program. We (my kids and I) very much appreciate it!!

Heather

I'm not Rhona but I also am using Paint.NET to teach kids intro. to computer graphics. They love it. I would be thrilled to see some kid friendly tutorials! They really like morphing things together (especially animals) and the primary issue is with blending and feathering them at the point of juncture (where the two pieces come together). But really, any basic skills tutorial would be so helpful. I always spend the first 15-20 minutes explaining the new skill (and demonstrating it on the overhead screen) but there are always certain students who need to have it re-explained to them (sometimes repeatedly). It would be fantastic to be able to point them to a tutorial as a back up. I think some of them need to have the written and visual aids for their own learning style.

Thanks for all of your hard work on this great program. We (my kids and I) very much appreciate it!!

Heather

Hello Heather,

First off welcome to PDN. You requested some tutorials that would display 'basic skills'. I want to clarify what exactly that means. As everyone knows PDN requires some what of an artistic skills but also it requires skill with PDN. I.E: Effects, tools, etc. So please clarify what you mean by 'basic skills'.

I'm not sure if you have seen this tutorial yet or not, but wither wrote an amazing beginners tut, maybe this would be a good starting point.

http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=21605

*Some of these tuts might be out there already. But I was thinking of some things I would teach if I was a teacher who used PDN. Maybe some of the following tuts would be appropriate.

Blending

Basics with Blending: Using different blending modes.

Blending for beginners: Blending using different blur effects.

Maybe some tuts on things like that would be useful?

Let us know, I'd be happy to help in this matter.

Thanks

Kevin

japannese.jpg

Also, depending on the skill level, some of the locked tutorials might be a good starter if the normal ones are too hard... basically most locked ones take a few steps from a tutorial and claim that it is amazing... but for children it might just be!

Wikibook is a great idea. Perfect for teachers. :-) Not so much here. Harder to control content...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Wikibook is a great idea. Perfect for teachers. :-) Not so much here. Harder to control content...

A forum designed to help teachers use pdn to teach children?

KaHuc.png

A forum designed to help teachers use pdn to teach children?

I think that's a good idea, I think teachers need to be more specific with their requests though, this way we can help them more efficiently. For example, instead of saying 'I'm looking for children friendly tuts', say something like 'I need a tut on blending, something child friendly'. This then would give us an idea of what to create the tut on.

Kevin

japannese.jpg

Also, depending on the skill level, some of the locked tutorials might be a good starter if the normal ones are too hard... basically most locked ones take a few steps from a tutorial and claim that it is amazing... but for children it might just be!

Bad idea, those were locked for a reason.

Some doesn't teach anything.

Some teach things one can learn from reading the help file.

Some repeats the same idea from other tutorials.

And so on.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

I really think if you all be very patient and wait for another two months or so you might find something a lot better than a wiki or forum.

signature.png