Tutorials for children

I have used some of the tutorials from your site and they are great at learning the capabilities of the program. I am a teacher at a junior school and would love my children to be able to access the tutorials, but some of them are too difficult for them to follow, and there are some that contain swear words in the titles, so i cannot allow them to choose their own tutorials.

So, can i request a section for "child friendly" and simple but effective tutorials.

The kids at school loved the "create a fire with PAINT.net"

Can I ask you what you mean by "swear words"? This forum is as family friendly as it can be. (Except for maybe the difficulty levels of some tutorials)

As for a nice tutorial:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22258

Bob deemed it "Too easy..." But it should be the level of a junior school.

Good luck!

@rhona

As my username suggests, I use Paint.NET in my high school Media classes for intro-ing image manipulation - great because the students can download for free at home (unlike certain other popular imaging progs)...

I have a few worksheets etc on things like cropping, resizing and also compositing images. I will PM some to you tomorrow from work if interested... and I might add some in this post to make them available to all...

...the kiddies love to PDN - oh yes they do :wink:

[img]http://www.geocities.com/gerry_satrapa/PDNsig.jpg[/img]

I have used some of the tutorials from your site and they are great at learning the capabilities of the program. I am a teacher at a junior school and would love my children to be able to access the tutorials, but some of them are too difficult for them to follow, and there are some that contain swear words in the titles, so i cannot allow them to choose their own tutorials.

So, can i request a section for "child friendly" and simple but effective tutorials.

The kids at school loved the "create a fire with PAINT.net"

hmmmmm, never really thought about the tuts being to difficult until my brother couldnt figure them out, maybe you could list a few things you would like to see tuts on and i could help you write some, i wrote a basic art tut thats on my pc, it was said to be to general to put up but it basically showed that images are made of shapes which are made of lines which are made of pixels, and when you break it down you can draw anything.

japannese.jpg

Support Our Troops, End The War

By swear words, there was a title that said "My first TUT - bloody tiles" or something similar. And so i thought it not best to use it with my class, in case they did contain other such words, as i don't want to get into trouble for exposing them to anything inappropriate, - i'm sure any other teachers or parents out there would empathise with me on this

Also, some of the tutorials are written in an "unprofessional" manner. I doubt that having a tutorial like this:

"MY FIRST TUT!!!!! Cool background.

Heyz guyz. I just mad3 a new bckgrnd yesterday and i thought it looked kewl. Here it iz!!!!"

Would exactly have a positive influence on children. If a kid's section is ever made, be sure all of them are written grammatically correct.

tagflowsig.png

+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

I am a disco dancer. +_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

Correctly. ;-)

All kidding aside, though, I agree. If a children's area is made, that should be a focus: polish.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

No, "written grammatically correctly" is correct. It may sound clunky, but it's right. See, "correct-" must be an adverb, as it modifies another adverb - "grammatic-," which modifies the verb "written." :-)

Anyway, yeah. So...kids' zone. I don't know if we want to make it part of the forum, but I'm all for making it a part of the Wikibook or the Fan Forums.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

a lot of the things i do are more art related, meaning they teach more about art then specifically about 'how to do...on pdn'.

when i think of all the art classes ive been in, they all teach technique, and not if you click this effect and then do this you get this.

^^although i think this is helpful, i feel to really get good at art, and get good with pdn there are things you need to learn first. this is really just my opinion, if you guys got this going id love to help and make some more, techniques tuts, for instance 'the basics of art(on pDN)'.

iono if im making sense. but im trying lol

japannese.jpg

Support Our Troops, End The War

Correct me if I'm wrong but teachers usually have worksheets and a teaching plans in place covering the basic drawing techniques, IE perspective etc etc. , so I'm not sure she wants us to teach her class. :wink:

I would think what rhona is probably looking for are some good tuts where her students can sink their teeth into using a computer program to demonstrate they understand the principals they've been taught within the classroom.

At this point it would be good if rhona rechecked in and told us exactly what principals of art she is currently teaching. Then she could be directed to appropriate tuts that display those concepts. I'm sure she would need review these tuts herself to understand the steps and ideas and taylor to suit her students abilities and requirements. It would be a good idea for rhona to be familiar herself with the program in order to field questions from her class.

Correct me if I'm wrong but teachers usually have worksheets and a teaching plans in place covering the basic drawing techniques, IE perspective etc etc. , so I'm not sure she wants us to teach her class. :wink:

I would think what rhona is probably looking for are some good tuts where her students can sink their teeth into using a computer program to demonstrate they understand the principals they've been taught within the classroom.

At this point it would be good if rhona rechecked in and told us exactly what principals of art she is currently teaching. Then she could be directed to appropriate tuts that display those concepts. I'm sure she would need review these tuts herself to understand the steps and ideas and taylor to suit her students abilities and requirements. It would be a good idea for rhona to be familiar herself with the program in order to field questions from her class.

Oma is probably right, although I still really am lost as to what rhona means as curse words here and there.

signature.png

Thanks for all of the help and advice on this topic, it's the first time i've posted something and didn't mean it to be a criticism of anyone. The children i teach are aged between 9 and 11, so that's why i requested the child friendly tutorials. They love the software and i would just like the chance to be able to let them have a "free reign" of their choice of activity. :)

Thanks for all of the help and advice on this topic, it's the first time i've posted something and didn't mean it to be a criticism of anyone. The children i teach are aged between 9 and 11, so that's why i requested the child friendly tutorials. They love the software and i would just like the chance to be able to let them have a "free reign" of their choice of activity. :)

so rhona is there any tut you need modified in some manner to teach a specific point of your classroom unit.

there are many people on this forum willing to help you out. and make suggestions for you to write your own tut to demonstrate a specific principal of art. :wink: :wink: that way you know its kiddie friendly.

Are you saying it doesn't really matter what on - you just want some child-suitable tutorials?

KaHuc.png

We don't just use the package for art. I run computer workshops for producing artwork using ICT every week. I started producing work based on an artist's picture at first. We made our own interpretations of pieces by Kandinsky, Matisse, Warhol and Macintosh; but we used mainly object based packages, such as the drawing tools on Word. Then I stumbled across the tutorials section whilst teaching myself how to use PDN, so here I am!

They would love to produce anything really, as they are only just beginning to get to grips with the package. Not many understand the idea of the layering just yet. It would be good to be able to access tutorials for differing abilities of children. There is a very wide range for even just 9-11 year olds. They are easily impressed! They really loved the fire tutorial. Some found it ok to follow, but only with my guidance; others found it quite hard, but were still impressed with their results. I liked the look of a tutorial abut creating smileys, so will look into that one with some of my brighter pupils as it looked difficult for some of them.

Thanks again with all of your support and help with this, it's been quite overwhelming!