Image Umbrella: Abstract Images

david.atwell

Oma: Marvelous. I feel a very soothing solitude when looking at this picture.

Janettsue: Quite lovely, very Christmas-like. The stars remind me almost of holly.

Down: It seems to be a good start, but in my opinion it needs something more. It reminds me of those gray camo pants.

Down/Janettsue: Thanks, and yes, the twist wasn't my greastest choice as I look back at it..

forumsig59b8.png

I made this when i was making a signature for a different forums. It was for a background.

I really wish I would have saved the steps I used to make this, so i can recreate it but with different colors, and different effects and such. :(

WeirdBackground.jpg

Edit: I also forgot to say, I know its a jpeg. I really wish I would have known PNG was a better way to save my stuff. D:

Im such a nub.

RFOrangeHex.png

Ah... ok - because I've noticed in certain situations that if you blur something that was just blurred, you can create wood-like textures. I've been trying to recreate the effect to demonstrate but I can't figure it out. :oops:

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

PDN Gallery | I Made a Deviant Art!

As usual, some excellent images above this post. Too many to name everyone 8)

squares2abstract.png

WOW!!

This must have taken some time to create - Awesome work welshblue!!! 8)

To bad we can't just post a small image right from our computer to a forum page- Oh well here are a couple abstracts I did up with PDN. They are Apophysis fractals maniped with PDN only, turned out kinda neat :D

Click on the image to make it larger.

http://amazeme.deviantart.com/art/Image-3-107251265

http://amazeme.deviantart.com/art/Displaced-107251019

Cool, they look great, the second would be a good sig BG

Wow! That's beautiful! I love it! How did you do the flower/butterfly things? (I'm still trying to figure out whether they're flowers or butterflies, but whatever they are they're awesome! :) )

Thanks a lot, they were aimed the be flowers but becuase its abstract, it can be anything really :D . That image was basically an experiment with rainbow overlays, which i may be doing a tut on soon. Thanks for yiur kind words

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for comments guys, it's a technique I thought of while sleeping :P

Hidden Content:
[reason]How-to[/reason]: Draw a curved line with line tool

Draw a second curved line with the same start and end points as the first, and bring it slightly out

: Duplicate layer, Ctrl+Shift+Z - rotate about 5 degrees, and resize to .95.

Duplicate latest layer again, and repeat the process

: For the 3D ish look - duplicate flattened abstract symbol, invert color, and move bottom layer 2 px up or down or whatever

: For background effects, Simple radial gradient

Clouds on Overlay at opacity

About 3 or 4 new layers, and draw a radial gradient going from color to transparent. Se each of these layers to overlay at a low opacity

For lighting in the middle, a simple paintbrush dot with blurs. For its color, a radial gradient from orange-ish yellow to transparent on top of it set to Overlay.

That's pretty much all I did. I'm surprised I remembered it, normally once I get it on canvas it leaves me for good.

Again, thanks for the kind words :)

"pyrochild, you're my favorite person ever. We should go snowboarding some time."~ 007 Nab. Ish.

Thank you, yes it can definitely yield some interesting results. I've been playing around with it a little more, and it really has the ability to imitate Photoshop's Pen tool Stroke.

I think I will make some classy- fancy stuff with this (Like J2K's sig)

Thanks for comments guys, it's a technique I thought of while sleeping :P

Hidden Content:
[reason]How-to[/reason]: Draw a curved line with line tool

Draw a second curved line with the same start and end points as the first, and bring it slightly out

: Duplicate layer, Ctrl+Shift+Z - rotate about 5 degrees, and resize to .95.

Duplicate latest layer again, and repeat the process

: For the 3D ish look - duplicate flattened abstract symbol, invert color, and move bottom layer 2 px up or down or whatever

: For background effects, Simple radial gradient

Clouds on Overlay at opacity

About 3 or 4 new layers, and draw a radial gradient going from color to transparent. Se each of these layers to overlay at a low opacity

For lighting in the middle, a simple paintbrush dot with blurs. For its color, a radial gradient from orange-ish yellow to transparent on top of it set to Overlay.

That's pretty much all I did. I'm surprised I remembered it, normally once I get it on canvas it leaves me for good.

Again, thanks for the kind words :)

I did the same kind of thing the other day, but I used panelling instead. Thought of it when wondering how to recreate These. But now that I think about it, rotate/zoom probably works better :P

loving those vista ish images. keep them coming

Thanks!

th_Jan172009Vapors.png

How the heck did you make that effect? It's like plastic! How did you get thos highlights in. Excellent abstract Oma.

oh you would ask that. this one is one of those do a layer duplicate additive whip it around in 3d shape then polar inversion merge additive again reshape inside out etc etc etc. maybe more polar inversions. more 3d shape some multiply blend modes. etc etc.

I'm trying to figure out a good real simple tut to show some of this but I get going and after about 10 mins I think you'd be totally lost.

not good tut material or rather great tut material but way too much of it.

OMA

edit theres a lot of edges in it as well.