Sign in to follow this  
david.atwell

Image Umbrella: Image Modification/Manipulation

I hope gifs are allowed... Made this in PDN and used a gif maker to put it together, The artwork is mine The Avi is mine The frame is a stock frame :)

lovewalkgif.gif

Edited by deserthunder

Here goes :

1. Hot head (psychocolour with some flames added) - I didn't really sit in the oven!

Hothead.jpg

2. Peach Beach ('Stranglers' fan)

peachbeach.jpg

3. Faux snow 1 (simply duplicated the layer then embossed then changed blend type to difference - sadly doesn't work for every image).

018fauxsnow.jpg

4. same bigger

fauxsnow1.jpg

5. same image but can't remember what I did - could have been negation.

fauxsnow2.jpg

It's just for fun ;)

@ Red Ochre ... cool effects in Hot Head ... freaky eyes B)

Love the job you've done on the peach ... nice how you've done the shadow. (Still one of the best bass lines ever, in the intro of Peaches in my opinion ;))

Snow ... blend modes are great tools in themselves. Very nice

Edited by welshblue

Thanks Welshblue,

I like using zoomblur for shadows as it picks up a bit of the object colour - like the reflections you get in shadows. However the light sources are a bit all over the place - the original reason for putting the peach in was to cover up the dodgy join between 2 photos :D

re: Stranglers - They're still going - saw them last year - good gig too.

@ Redochre. nice plugin, I just downloaded it and got some cool results, still trying to understand it, endless possibilities...

@ jim100361, nice image manips, I noticed in most of your works, the images or parts of them are stretched vertically or horizontally, as example, the kids photo (the black and white one) is being stretchered horizontally comparing to the original, that really affect the quality sometimes, apart from that I like your ideas on the image manip. I saw some cool designs from you.

@ deserthunder, nice GIF, it needs some music with it :)

Just playing with some photos I took with my phone camera:

-The texture of the planet is soap foam on the floor while I was washing my car, shaped with S-3D

-The clouds: cloud1, cloud2 and cloud3 and mountains are my photos, too

-But the city is all PDN done with Shape 3D, also the background is PDN

th_city.jpg

@ Redochre. nice plugin, I just downloaded it and got some cool results, still trying to understand it, endless possibilities...

I'm still trying to understand it too! :lol: - I'll try to put an explanation on the thread page.

@ Aislin - many thanks.

@ jim100361 - strong ideas as ever. - the work in your gallery is improving nicely too!

@ yellowman re: city - brilliant - strong idea, well executed ;)

- I'm never sure where 'image manipulation' stops and 'abstract images' begins.

Good to know I'm not the only one who gets confused on the plugins or feels they need that much exploration. :mrgreen: Seems there is more there but I'm easily forgetting any formula on how to gain results I find from it ... Sure, screen shots, etc. Sort of like the headache of playing with fractals ... so many options that are essential all translated as .01235623 ... :lol:

@YM: Simply wonderful. Art Deco and space opera impressionism blended nicely for me in that piece. Or that's what I'm taking from it and the idea it was all manips from a camera phone is just awesome.

@ snospmiS ... love the face with-in the eye. Very creepy. It's just my opinion but I'm not sure you need the B & W element ?

@ F.C ... nice concept and colours but the mask binding them together could be more solid ?

th_jtwallpaper.png

... inspired by the 2012 FA Cup Final

That is just awesome Welshy! I love the brightness & background is perfect for the the shadows of the player. Just the "no" is a bit hard to read in the brightness but still pretty darned awesome!

snospmiS - very creepy but very well done!

Frontcannon, nice outcome. Edit: I really like the translucence of her face.

Edited by barbieq25

Nice job. I bought the Lungs album on the off chance, after hearing Kiss with a Fist. Glad I did. Excellent album ... your work really fits in with her sound (listening to Hurricane Drunk at the mo)

I'm not too good with photomanips but from what I can see here the eye & the nose are too close. A bit of shadow under eye might help too so that it doesn't look so pasted on. A very good effort just the same.

Clone out the eyes & some of the nose...there is a tute on the clone brush, I think it is called subterranean blues or something like that & I am pretty sure it is by yellowman...

...there is a tute on the clone brush, I think it is called subterranean blues or something like that & I am pretty sure it is by yellowman...

I think it's subterranean copy and paste blues. I do know it was by Sarkut (I miss that geezer ...)

I think it's subterranean copy and paste blues. I do know it was by Sarkut (I miss that geezer ...)

Oh yeah! That was the name of it...& who wrote the tute too. I miss him too...always so nice, helpful & knowledgeable.

I tried making a lifelike 'leela' but i cant get it to look quite real...

any suggestions would be appreciated.

leela.jpg

Try to "erase" the original eyes using a copy and paste method by selecting skin from other areas to fill in and then using the smudge tool to blend so you have something like the picture below:

615de83b.jpg

Notice though how I've used the smudge tool to sort of "shorten" the nose. Once the image is more or less to your liking then paste in the eye in the center. The way the bridge of the nose is reshaped to be down below the eye I think will give a better appearance than simply cutting off the top of the nose w/the eye.

Edited by jim100361