Image Umbrella: Signatures, Avatars, Logos & Text

david.atwell

Maybe I'll have better luck with comments on this in here:

Raptorsig.png

I've had some comments on the dark corner, but it's pretty much supposed to be dark.

I think its pretty good.....the dark bit adds meaning to it in a way somehow......... what do u guys think of my new one:)

@BEyza Very nice background, but I would like to see your name a little larger and then with just a little transparency so the colors show through but the name is still legible. Do you know what I mean? I'm not a good teacher so I sometimes have a hard time explaining what I think in the proper terms.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

Stop bashing yourself, you said that just fine. :lol:

I disagree though. Everyone uses polar inversion for their backgrounds when they start out. So everyone's work looks the same when they start out. If you want to my advice, don't use polar inversion, ever, unless it's to actually distort something into a certain shape like oma does.

I also suggest looking at some color theory, so you can decide what colors you're going to use. :)

Maybe I'll have better luck with comments on this in here:

Raptorsig.png

I've had some comments on the dark corner, but it's pretty much supposed to be dark.

I think its pretty good.....the dark bit adds meaning to it in a way somehow......... what do u guys think of my new one:)

@Raptor

Okay dude, I know you're already going to be ticked off at me for saying this but the dark has to go :lol: Make it a really nice dark tan or something that the raptor comes from. Not just a fat brush with Gaussian blur smeared all over it :P

(that's what it looks like to me personally)

Stop bashing yourself [Possum Roadkill], you said that just fine. :lol:

I disagree though. Everyone uses polar inversion for their backgrounds when they start out. So everyone's work looks the same when they start out. If you want to my advice, don't use polar inversion, ever, unless it's to actually distort something into a certain shape like oma does.

I also suggest looking at some color theory, so you can decide what color's you're going to use. :)

B--B--But teh KOLORZ :shock: :shock: :shock: they so pwetty T.T

@BEyza Jokes aside, yeah. As much as I like polar inversion You gotta do without 8) There are some instances where you can use it correctly. Oma is one, and... (by yours truly, using for example)

th_TheMummy.jpg

If you look at it You can see that the polar inversion I used creates something abstract (props to MadJik for the abstract tutorial) And it is something, maybe something else. (the eyes do make it kinda slanted for "abstract" but meh :P I like it that way <.<" )

The effect of polar inversion is not to get something colorful, it's to get something unexpected. Which, combined with something called knowledge and experience (you'll get that later hopefully XD) You can make some really awesome stuff. Just check Oma out :shock: I have no clue how she even got the COLORS on half of her stuff much less the blinkie stuff.

(did I mention how much I like blinkie stuff? xD)

Overall I like the sig, you just need some experience, something other than polar inversion, and a paintbrush and you're good to go :D

I'd like to see what other awesomeness everyone gets around to doing O____o"

ElvenPower.jpg

Power comes to those who least expect it, Ambition comes to those who want it. Sometimes Ambition rules the Powerful, many times Ambition Is Power. Remember that Frodo, that ring could have been yours!

I understand, but could you make it dark in another way? Like maybe have the raptor jumping out of dark jungle foliage. Check out Goonfella's recent image in the Realistic Images thread and notice the foliage he put around the castle. Remember, your sig is telling a story about your raptor. People should be able to look at it and make up stories in their head about what is going on. Inspire them.

That's an interesting idea. I may do another sig. and I'll take that into consideration.

@Raptor

Okay dude, I know you're already going to be ticked off at me for saying this but the dark has to go Make it a really nice dark tan or something that the raptor comes from. Not just a fat brush with Gaussian blur smeared all over it

(that's what it looks like to me personally)

No I'm not ticked off at all. It's all constructive criticism and I'll take it to account for another raptor sig.
green.png

Oh I can see it coming.... the new raptor sig will have a possum in it's mouth as it shakes it from side to side.... Oh no ! Not brother Opie! ( :lol: get it, Opie, OP, Opossum...)

Ok seriously, it's been a long day, sorry. Yes, I would really like to see it with something more than the blackness. I can see where you are coming from on it, but it is just too bleak.

I, just to give my humble suggestion, think that maybe Oma's palm leaf tut to create some plant life so it looks like it's jumping out of the deep dark underbrush. You could make the foliage really dark and it would have the effect I think you are looking for. Maybe? Sorry, if you only know how bad this day has been....not in the tragic sense, but in the frustration level. I hope that helps ! My 1.5 cents worth anyway.

SAC, WOTW and Photo Manip Competition Host

To visit the Comps click HERE

Oh I can see it coming.... the new raptor sig will have a possum in it's mouth as it shakes it from side to side.... Oh no ! Not brother Opie! ( :lol: get it, Opie, OP, Opossum...)

Ok seriously, it's been a long day, sorry. Yes, I would really like to see it with something more than the blackness. I can see where you are coming from on it, but it is just too bleak.

I, just to give my humble suggestion, think that maybe Oma's palm leaf tut to create some plant life so it looks like it's jumping out of the deep dark underbrush. You could make the foliage really dark and it would have the effect I think you are looking for. Maybe? Sorry, if you only know how bad this day has been....not in the tragic sense, but in the frustration level. I hope that helps ! My 1.5 cents worth anyway.

I lol'd at that :P *claps* And yes, possum has a good suggestion :D (my .5 cents to makes his worth 2 :P)

ElvenPower.jpg

Power comes to those who least expect it, Ambition comes to those who want it. Sometimes Ambition rules the Powerful, many times Ambition Is Power. Remember that Frodo, that ring could have been yours!

Hey, this is my first sig, tell me what you think...

sigsmallb.png

PM for the PDN if you wanna!

Comment, comment!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Hmm, from my knowledge of photoshop I'd say that that image has been altered in photoshop and then he got it off the internet and pasted the text on there xD

(You would need to use levels and a cooling filter to get that look from a sea pic like that. Or have a million dollar camera with a gel on the lens)

ElvenPower.jpg

Hmm, from my knowledge of photoshop I'd say that that image has been altered in photoshop and then he got it off the internet and pasted the text on there xD

(You would need to use levels and a cooling filter to get that look from a sea pic like that. Or have a million dollar camera with a gel on the lens)

Or a blue color filter? Either way, that was probably part of the car advertisement.

@ flip I like the sigs very nice.

@ kinzo I think its good for a first sig. actually I think its better than my first sig. Keep up the good work ;)

Here is something I threw together playing with some plug-ins I haven't used yet. Let me know what you think.

sig01.jpg

Flip, it's well done but everyone does it. The glassy button effect is kind of tiring after being used and abused so much. The font choices aren't too great, either. Maybe you should try making the text seem like it's on the surface of the sphere rather than just floating?

@ flip I like it. but I agree with Blooper about the floating text.

Atradese, I like the 3D of the hexagons, but the clouds don't look right. Can't put the finger on why exactly. Also, try going for multiple colors in each piece.

Yeah I had the same problem when I was making it. I think its in the brightness and contrast but when i tried adjusting it it just got worse so I left it like this. If you come up with an idea on how to fix it let me know.

Whoops I forgot to rate.

Yes, the hexagons are good, but the water effect is overdone. But, it does look good.

Can you explain how the water effect is overdone? I don't understand. I was trying to get the ripples like the old water plug-in.

Thanks in advance.

Atradese, he meant that the everyone seems to use the water plug-in.

Musical Maniac, water - especially frozen - is rarely that blue. It's usually white, green and gray, depending on how shallow the ice and how dirty the water. Try some desaturating and hue shifting, that should get you closer to what you want.