Code Suggestion

yogiyang

There is no doubt that Paint.NET is just superb and well worth using on daily basis. It is also a good source for learning about how to porgram Graphics using GDI+.

I have a suggestion that the core engine and all the editing features should be converted to a component so that others developers can enbed the product in their software where they require painting and drawing.

In short convert the product to a full blone component which can be just plugged in any project. doing this will help users like me who only use VB.NET to use in our existing project.

Thanks

Yogi Yang

PdnLib, PaintDotNet.Data, PaintDotNet.Effects, and PaintDotNet.SystemLayer already provide much functionality for whomever cares to use it.

PaintDotNet.Data, in particular, makes it possible to read .PDN images from any other application.

However, the editing facilities of Paint.NET (the tools, the four "tool windows", etc), were never designed to be dropped-in to other applications. If you were to be able to plug those into your app, you would basically be plugging all of Paint.NET in to your app. Things can only be componetized and abstracted so far.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

However, the editing facilities of Paint.NET (the tools, the four "tool windows", etc), were never designed to be dropped-in to other applications. If you were to be able to plug those into your app, you would basically be plugging all of Paint.NET in to your app. Things can only be componetized and abstracted so far.

That is exactly what I am trying to say. Remove the user interface part and let the developer implement the user interface part. Implement enough porperties and events so the developer can program the user interface part completely as per his/her requirements.

check this http://hicomponents.com/nievolution.asp

it is one such commercial product. In fact I got this idea from this component. It is just superb as far as functionality goes but not well documented though :( .

Using the said compenent one can easily evelope a full featured Image Editor with all the Bells and Whistles easily....

I know the amount of work required for implemting such a component is tremendous but it would be really usefull and make PaitDotNet even more popular and usefull.

Well this is just my openion. Ultimately it is you as a developer who have to think about this. I don't know C# otherwise I would surely contribute by developing such a component from PaintDotNet's source. :cry:

and Darn...say! .NET 2005 also does not support multiple (different language) code modules in one project meaning allowing one to use a C# sharp code module in a VB.NET project, like C++ Builder (where user can include Pascal modules in a C++ program and call all the fuctions in the modules).

Microsoft has yet not been able to achieve this in spite of the fact that the lead developer for .NET was the lead developer and architecture for Delphi , C++ Builder and other Borland IDEs and compilers.... it is really sad.... :(

> Remove the user interface part and let the developer implement the user interface part.

That's my line of thinking as well. I designed a painting tool in that sad old Macromedia Director, where the UI was just another component.

I had plans to create a version of it that was a children's paint program with a game style interface. The animals you encounter and make friends with in the adventure part of the game appears as tools and helpers, fairys as particle effect "brushes" etc.

I'll be porting it to C# one of these days, after I'm done with all the other interesting projects...

• 3 weeks later...
I know the amount of work required for implemting such a component is tremendous but it would be really usefull and make PaitDotNet even more popular and usefull.

You're right, it would be a tremendous amount of work. It's not in our design goals to really componentize Paint.NET to that level. We also don't have any target scenarios for this, and thus would have nothing to steer this effort.

Honestly, I think the reason Paint.NET has gained so much popularity is because it is useful for many "normal" people, or more casual computer users, not because of its developer attraction. And it's free, that helps a bit :) That's not to say your idea is a bad one by any means, but I don't see a reason to focus engineering effort on something that most of our users will neither see nor benefit from. If it comes along as a corrolary with something else we do, then cool.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg