What will Paint.NET v10 be like?

Well, let's see. 1.0-2.0 was less than a year. 2.0-3.0 was a little over a year. 3.0-4.0 looks to be a little over two years. If we figure a mean time of about one-and-a-half years between releases, that puts 5.0 in Fall 2010, 6.0 in Spring 2012, 7.0 in Fall 2014, 8.0 in Spring 2016, 9.0 in Fall 2018, and 10.0 in Spring 2020. (Wow...I'll be 35!)

My vote is that within the next 12 years before PdN10.0 is released, computing in general and image editing specifically will have changed so much as to be unrecognizable to us. Think about this: 12 years ago, Adobe Photoshop didn't even have layers yet. 12 years ago, Windows 95 was "newfangled" and Windows 3.x still had dominance. 12 years ago, Steve Jobs had yet to return to Apple. 12 years ago, the Super Nintendo was still the market leader in video games, and 3-D video games were still either done badly or not done at all.

12 years ago, I was ten. I didn't even have an internet connection then. (!)

So, Paint.NET v10.0? I think it'll still be free, but I don't even think we can comprehend what it'll look like at this point.

Maybe it'll be optimized for use within a three-dimensional virtual reality desktop space, or have a plugin for voice control and pupil tracking. (I doubt things will change THAT much, but who knows?) :-)

What a difference twelve years make. But this is certainly a fun question to ask. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I also wander what will happen to computing in general - I cannot imagine using anything but the computer in it's current form for what I use it for. I just don't imagine it being comfortable. On my nokia n800 which has a resolution of 800 x 450 it is not very comfortable to browse the web - so I cannot imagine doing office tasks, programming and image editing from a device the size of a pda.

KaHuc.png

Well, I have no idea what it'll be like, but in a matter of about 10 years, we went from sega to ps3/xbox 360 so I'm thinking that maybe we'll be able to make animations with it

(also maybe slow computers with it that high)

sig.jpg

~97% of teens won't stand up for Anything. Put this on your sig if you're one of the 3% who've fallen down trying.

Oh, and there's 3 types of people in this world...

No!

Holographic Touchpad.

Shun the non-believers!

SHUN!

lol, i love that video...

Anyways, to continue your Holographic touchpad idea, scientists are making contact lenses with computer chips which will be able to display floating screens visible to the wearer. I saw an article on cnet a couple weeks ago about this. They say they should get to the point of displaying simple, few pixel images "sometime in the near future".

Computing will be amazing in the future though. I was messing around with my millinium windows comp a while ago. Its amazing how much things change. Future gaming will be insane though. I remember playing games on my nes and playstation. I remember every gameboy release. Games seemed amazing enough back then. Its funny to go back and replay them. When morrowind was released, i was stunned by how amazing the graphics were (http://www.spilkanon.dk/elder.jpg). I spent about the first 30 minutes playing that game just wandering around looking at all the scenery and everything because it was just so amazing. This was one of the most high-tech game at the time (2001 i think). Now, i would have to say the most advanced game is crysis (video picture) and there is still a TON of stuff that is being added to games due to advances in computers.

Anyways, it will be impossible to predict what a distant future version of PdN will be like. Things change a ton really fast.

I'm still alive!

Here is what will happen:

v4.0 will come out and will be the beginning of Paint.NET's rise as the top free graphics editor. The amount of features that will come with v4.0 will be hard to comprehend and will show The GIMP that it has a worthy competitor in its ranks. With all of this excitement geared towards Paint.NET there will be a lot of pressure on Rick and v5.0 will fail miserably. It is quickly overpassed with v6.0 featuring everything you could expect in Photoshop CS3. (Oh by the way, Photoshop will have have become a 3D graphics editor, image manipulation, video editor, and sound maker so it wont be any competition). With v5.0 there will be two different versions of Paint.NET: Paint.NET Pro (0$) and Paint.NET Lite (0$). The latter will be simplistic and will be for quick image editations while Pro, while still being free, will feature consistent upgrades. From there v7.0 will come out and will feature plug ins that can even create new tool bars and child windows, gradients, selection shapes, and there will be guideline functionality and offset features. At this time Paint.NET will have taken dominance over graphic manipulation and Rick will be unable to deny the million dollars that are being thrown at him to purchase Paint.NET. This will begin the decline in Paint.NET, in which it will be over bloated with unneeded features and the like.

Then again, I could be wrong :wink:

signature.png

PDN will remain an image editor, but it will not use .NET. From what I read about 3 months ago, Rick would like to port PDN to C++ after v4 is stable. There's also the possibility of other editors from Rick under DotPDN LLC...

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

By the time PDN V10 is out.. nobody will remember CS3. :lol:

QFT. They'll be on CSX by then, or something...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.