Discussion-PDNfree-HandDrawing Contest! Topic Disscusion!

k.digennaro

You really don't need a new discussion thread for every iteration of the contest. Nuh uh.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Well, you already opened this one. SO you might as well use it..

(BTW, SOTW's discussion is 14 pages ;) )

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Well, you already opened this one. SO you might as well use it..

(BTW, SOTW's discussion is 14 pages ;) )

i have 11 pages...

The thing is that the SOTW has 3 competition discussions. 12 13 and 14.

K.D. I think you should just create a new thread for discussion every 5/ or so contests, but keep creating the new topics for each thread which has the entrys

omExTE6.png

I like the theme... I'll be thinking of something. Give me time! Don't rush me!!for no reason>

One thing: The rules mention no effects or adjustments... Rotate/Zoom doesn't fall under either of those categories! :twisted:!>up html tags>

pyjo i didnt see the pic, are you talking about the original sketches and stuff from your car?

This is the picture:

NotAllowed.jpg

This can be useful to stress that you cannot use photo or plugins, even if the layer in which they were used is removed in the final picture.

Bye

Pyjo.

so let me get this straight

#1) i can't look at a picture of a dinasoar and try to draw it? kind of shoots down the age old artists practice of using models doesn't it.

#2) I can not have a layer I get rid of at the end. no grid no perspective lines. even though great artists have used these lines and just erased them.

#3)no blending/ blurs even if artists use tortillion stumps all the time.

if that is so I don't think I'll be participating as this is not teaching me proper art skills at all. especially #1 as the first thing any of my art friends tell me is to draw what I see not what my mind tells me should be there.

What follows here is only my standpoint, not a rule.

1) You cannot load a photo or a pre-existent picture in a layer of your canvas. You can look at a 2d picture of a dinosaur, but it would be better if you look at a real 3d dinosaur, since in this way you can demonstrate you ability in transposing a 3d model into a 2d picture. Unfortunately there is a dinosaurs shortage in our epoch; however when I drew my picture for the previous contest I didn't copy form any kind of model. In fact I haven't seen a car like that in the last 2 or 3 months.

2) You can use grids or perspective lines (I used perspective lines in my car picture), but you cannot use a plugin to draw them. However great artists of the past didn't copy their masterworks from another artist's picture or from a photo by using a grid.

3) Blur is not allowed since no effect is allowed. I think that some effect could be allowed, but it would be too difficult to decide which ones, so it is better to say no effects at all. You can use gradients, even in trasparency mode, to produce a blur-like effect. Layers blending modes are also allowed (everything that is not prohibited is implicitly allowed)

Bye

Pyjo.

so let me get this straight

#1) i can't look at a picture of a dinasoar and try to draw it? kind of shoots down the age old artists practice of using models doesn't it.

#2) I can not have a layer I get rid of at the end. no grid no perspective lines. even though great artists have used these lines and just erased them.

#3)no blending/ blurs even if artists use tortillion stumps all the time.

if that is so I don't think I'll be participating as this is not teaching me proper art skills at all. especially #1 as the first thing any of my art friends tell me is to draw what I see not what my mind tells me should be there.

ouch harsh oma, here are the answers

#1, maybe i should be write this rule, i didnt mean you couldnt look at anything, just that you cant copy it, you cant draw just wat you see, it has to become yours some how.

#2,the only grid allowed i think you should be the one built into PDN when you zoom in, i understand wat your saying about artists and wat not, but you also said they draw ther own and erase them, feel free to do that, also feel free to use the grid that build into PDN (let me no if this doesnt make sense, im trying)

#3, blending is fine if you do it your self, i.e. gradients or transparency, i was even thinking about saying no gradients unless you hand made them, but that was a harsh thought.

please let me know if you have a way to clarify these into the rules^^ i thought it was clear but i guess not, im struggling with this, although i think its getting clearer then at first.

japannese.jpg

Support Our Troops, End The War

I do not use a grid and copy each square onto the screen I draw my own grids

I put a picture up in the pictorium showing you the type of grids I draw myself and use.

a face is 5 eyewidths across and the distance between the top of the head and eyes and eyes to chin is aprox the same. nose and ears are about the same. these are things I draw in on the grid. and I very much resent the fact you think I trace things. the picture of what I'm drawing is on a layer within my drawing as It is easer for me to look at it there instead of moving back and forth between pictures. its not there for tracing. I've limited mobility within my hands and poor eyesight so I do what works for me. but to be accused of tracing is beyond words.

but to be accused of tracing is beyond words.

I don't think they were accusing you of that, I think they were just stating the rules for this contest.

You don't HAVE to play this round if you don't like the rules, there are alway other challenges. everybody likes different methods for making art.

Besides, challenging one self is the best contest IMO. :)

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

I put a picture up in the pictorium showing you the type of grids I draw myself and use.

a face is 5 eyewidths across and the distance between the top of the head and eyes and eyes to chin is aprox the same. nose and ears are about the same. these are things I draw in on the grid. and I very much resent the fact you think I trace things. the picture of what I'm drawing is on a layer within my drawing as It is easer for me to look at it there instead of moving back and forth between pictures. its not there for tracing. I've limited mobility within my hands and poor eyesight so I do what works for me. but to be accused of tracing is beyond words.

no,no,no, im sorry if you thought i was accusing you oma, thats not what i was trying to say, i just mean in general no tracing, im not talking about your specific art works, ive seen your sketches, etc. i no you dont trace.

my apoglogies if thats the impression you got.

japannese.jpg

no,no,no, im sorry if you thought i was accusing you oma, thats not what i was trying to say, i just mean in general no tracing, im not talking about your specific art works, ive seen your sketches, etc. i no you dont trace.

my apoglogies if thats the impression you got.

apologies accepted as that was the very distinct impression I did receive. as Ash has pointed out to me when he read this it was not aimed at me specifically so I'm relieved in more ways than one. I certainly wouldn't want to be accused of cheating on a picture when I say its 100% paint.net, and wouldn't want to jeopardize the success of your contest. I still won't be entering this round as I just can not see myself drawing a dinosaur. I have absolutely no frame of reference to work with.

ciao and sorry for the confusion

OMA

no worries oma, i hope ull join maybe the next round, your drawing is really immpressive, do you use a wacom or tablet? just curious, ive never used one, but im thinking about getting one.

japannese.jpg

no money no tablet. :( can't justify the expense its all straight mouse work. and i don't even have a fancy mouse, no scrolly wheel or anything. catch you next round maybe you all will be doing something I'm familiar with.

ciao

OMA

sounds good :mrgreen:

i no how you feel using a cheap mouse, i do the same thing :P, its funny how much we have in common on PDN(not supposed to sound creezy stalkerish :mrgreen: )

japannese.jpg

i just wanted to point out that im not sure if im going to make the deadline with my image, i think i went in a bit over my head for a week week deadline :P, the deadline is still the same, ill post wat ever i get finished lol

edit:sorry double post

edit again:P: i just wanted to say, honestly i wasnt excited for this topic and i was thinking about not submitting, but i have a plan :P and now im really excited lol.

japannese.jpg

well, i made a hasty attempt at my drawing, sorry bout the disappointment guys, its displays some of my talents but its not exactly a piece id hang on my fridge.

also, as some of you may have noticed, this week i tried to rewrite the rules, to simplify them and avoid confusion. what do you guys think? are the rules clear now?

japannese.jpg